Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: super redhawk vs. super blackhawk

I think a theme of this thread is that handguns are personal. One person's ultimate handgun might be a chrome plated semi auto with mother of pear grips. Someone else might love a color case hardened single action. Which is better? It is not for me to say. Same with grip frame style.

I have tried to think how a test of grip frame styles could be conducted. Have a master shooter try each type of grip on identical guns? Have the same shooter try the same gun with the same loads but swap grip frames and repeat the tests?

You would still be looking at a human factor. Maybe a fixture that would hold the guns exactly the same for each shot and then swap frames?

Those of us on this forum are here to some degree because we have opinions about what we like and what works for us in our guns. We try different boolits, loads, powders, sights, and grips to find what works for us. It is a personal thing.

I have no doubt that .44 Man could shoot rings around me with each of us shooting our favorite guns. That would only show that he is a better marksman than I am and will likely ever be. After getting my butt kicked I would still like Bisley grips on my Rugers and would still respect .44 Man and appreciate his posts and the things he has taught me on this forum.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Guess I am a little behind the times... a little more research shows ruger tried the 5 shot cylinder in 2008 for a short period and then went back to the 6 shot in the SRH sorry for the misinformation.

I love my 44 mag SBH. 7.5 barrel, if I manage to blow it up its pure negligence on my part. I love the simplicity of the single action. Just my opinion for what its worth.
    Ill try anything once, twice if I forgot

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 41 Mag Bisley hunter that I LOVE for hunting and is my most accurate handgun, HOWEVER, I have a 7 1/2" barrel SRH in 454 Casul with tritium night sites that I sleep with and night carry when tenting in bear country. They each have their place.

I would not use the SRH as my 60 yard target and light game gun unless I down loaded it. When I am taking a deer with the 41 Bisley Blackhawk Hunter, I do not need the double action. I do want the SRH double action and tritium sites on my nighttime bear gun.

I think the .480 Ruger is probably a great compromise delivering the massive energy while reducing the massive muzzle blast of the Casull. The question becomes do you need the double action? Do you want the built in scope mounts?

I have three blackhawks in various configuations and one SRH. I like them all.

just my 2 cents.
    rch

Banned

i have rarely shot DA except for fun. Most Da's have a better single action trigger. Most of us cock the gun anyway. That makes them all SA's anyway unless you need to blast a bear right quick. Chances are if you missed the first shot you will never need more then a lot of pepper for seasoning.
    Heavy recoil with a DA over your head does not work well. There are a few that can shoot DA and even hunt that way but not me. A SRH will be cocked. DA takes more then we can do. Might be OK with a .38 but do you know where the barrel is with a large caliber? You need to toss the blue ox over your shoulder to get the gun back in line. A .500 S&W in DA to hit anything is a pipe dream. I am sure you will cock the gun.

Banned

Once I shot a buck with the SRH and he bolted past me. I shot him again but I cocked the gun. Hit him again but the first shot took his heart. I never needed DA. The SA trigger is SWEET!

Boolit Master
    The question becomes do you need the double action?
    Only perhaps in an emergency, but whether DA shouldn't hamper the choice. The SRH has a fantastic SA trigger, better than any factory Ruger SA I have owned. Just because it is DA doesn't mean you must shoot it that way. DA guns are also quicker to load and unload, which can be an asset at times. I wish Ruger would outfit the RH with the SRH grip spur system. Best of both worlds.

I agree that single vs double action is pretty much irrelevant because you will be cocking the hammer anyway. Double action comes in handy when you are shooting light .38's in a 357 and you blow through them faster. A lot faster to reload. Single action is very classic. I like them both. In a 357 a double vs a single is a little bit of decision but in anything bigger single action is always 100% ok for me. Since it reloads slower it gives your hands time to recover from the heavy recoil. Of course the answer is always buy both! I started with the gp100 and just gut a blackhawk in 357. Haven't shot the blackhawk yet but really looking forward too. I would still pick the SBH over a redhawk. I would like to get a 5.5 inch stainless SBH as my next revolver.

Banned

I'm the same. Make mine a bisley. Ill say too that about every inexperienced shooter ive had at the range has said the bisley is much more confortable under heavier recoil then a plow grip ruger. If you want pain, Kelly Brost the original cast performance bullet company owner had a plow grip 4 inch 500 built after he saw my 4 inch bisley 500 that John built. that thing would make you BLEED with full power loads. My gun with full power loads was more comfortable then his with 1000 fps loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I think a theme of this thread is that handguns are personal. One person's ultimate handgun might be a chrome plated semi auto with mother of pear grips. Someone else might love a color case hardened single action. Which is better? It is not for me to say. Same with grip frame style.

I have tried to think how a test of grip frame styles could be conducted. Have a master shooter try each type of grip on identical guns? Have the same shooter try the same gun with the same loads but swap grip frames and repeat the tests?

You would still be looking at a human factor. Maybe a fixture that would hold the guns exactly the same for each shot and then swap frames?

Those of us on this forum are here to some degree because we have opinions about what we like and what works for us in our guns. We try different boolits, loads, powders, sights, and grips to find what works for us. It is a personal thing.

I have no doubt that .44 Man could shoot rings around me with each of us shooting our favorite guns. That would only show that he is a better marksman than I am and will likely ever be. After getting my butt kicked I would still like Bisley grips on my Rugers and would still respect .44 Man and appreciate his posts and the things he has taught me on this forum.

Banned

Comfort and accuracy are two different things. I have NEVER made a Bisley shoot except once. I could shift a hog leg depending on distance at IHMSA shoots and never miss. Any change on a Bisley was a miss. Maybe it was the massive bash to my knuckle behind the guard. A small shift from pain might be the reason. Less rise and twist but the back of the trigger guard was a nasty thing and you dare not change your grip on one. S&W 29 the same. Never, EVER placed even though the gun is super accurate. Move your hand 1/16" on a Bisley and stare at the gun like it broke. Not EVER again!

yeah I like the super Blackhawk better. probably in .44, has anyone bought the 7.5 inch barrel and then found it too unwieldy to carry and wished you got the 5.5, I wish they made one in between. I think I will like the 7.5, I know that's the length i'll buy,just wondering if anyone has gotten tired of lugging it around. when I hunt with wine it will be my only gun,so I don't think it will be a problem,now as a backup while toting a rifle ,I can see it getting in the way. Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

I love the 7.5, it's very well balanced. I'll edit this post a little later, field isn't gonna disc itself but the short of it is 7.5 works well for me and is very weildy

Banned

ive got a permanently swelled knuckle and most of it was caused by square back dragon ruger super blackhawks. I don't care to shoot another one ever again. To me that is the worse grip frame for a mag single action.
    Quote Originally Posted by The O.K. KIDD View Post
    yeah I like the super Blackhawk better. probably in .44, has anyone bought the 7.5 inch barrel and then found it too unwieldy to carry and wished you got the 5.5, I wish they made one in between. I think I will like the 7.5, I know that's the length i'll buy,just wondering if anyone has gotten tired of lugging it around. when I hunt with wine it will be my only gun,so I don't think it will be a problem,now as a backup while toting a rifle ,I can see it getting in the way. Travis

I like the 5.5 inch better because it has a rounded trigger guard.

Boolit Master
    I am with Lloyd. That square trigger guard hurts and I think it looks funny too. I they are the 7.5 inch with the round guard.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

I have a square trigger guard but I threw a set of pachmeyer grips on and they close up that square. After 50 rounds with the square I was happy to have the pachs to put on.

NOW, you could just as easily put a rounded or squared trigger guard/handle on anything if you wanted to. Would probably cost a hundred and a half to two hundred but don't write off those squares. Easier to talk someone out of one because they rapped their knuckles and get a 30 dollar set of grips. I got mine for 250 bucks believe it or not. I really think the squared grip will fall into your lap pretty cheap.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/albu...hmentid=139983

My favorite handgun. Has taken a hog, several deer, 2 coyotes and charging Utah rocks.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Man
    I own both one of the early SRH 480's and the new bisley 480, for me the SRH is more comfortable to shoot i put the hogue tamers on it but it wasnt bad with the original rubber with wood panel grips just seems like i can put more rounds downrange with the SRH plus its a really tight well made revolver that shoots well. The 5 shot SBH on the other hand I bought to have a 480 that was more portable but i cannot get it to shoot very well as a matter of fact im sending it back to them tomorrow on thier dime hopefully they'll fix it.

I also have a 44 SBH 7.5 blued version and that one will never leave my posession because it shoots really good and mainly because my grandad gave it to me along with an old lyman single cavity 429421 and said " You hang onto these and take good care of them and you'll always have a good gun and somethin to shoot in it"I've still got them both and thats been almost 20 years ago no complaints from me.

When Im just working around the place here I carry my 5.5 45 blackhawk usually with the colt cylinder in it but sometimes with the acp cylinder when im runnin low on 45 colt shells. I put a bisley frame on this revolver on account i shoot it better than the short one that leaves my little finger hangin free off out in outer space, I really do not like that regular blackhawk grip either one of the other 2 Im fine with.

I guess as has been said already its gonna be a purely personal choice and you may have to go through a few of them to get the one you want that fits you.

wl620, your 7.5 SBH 44mag, does it have the standard or bisley grips?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    I had a SRH in.480 and .44 mag. Loved them both. I had a .44 SBH with the fluted cylinder and rounded trigger guard and liked it a lot, but sold it for the .44 SRH. The recoil is different with the DA, much easier on my old wrists. Accuracy was great with all three, but now I only have the .44 SRH. Planning on a new RH soon, the .45 Colt /.45 acp model. Probably will never shoot them in DA, don't remember if I ever have....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?