MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: super redhawk vs. super blackhawk

Boolit Master
    Blackwater, & Thumbcocker both have made a lot of excellent points.

I currently own some Super Blackhawks in 44 mag, and one in 480. I also own a few Redhawks, in 44 mag as well as a Super Redhawk in 480. So, I have a fair experience with them.

Strength? All are excellent & will withstand years of use,,, as long as you do not overload them & expect them to do more than designed for. Staying within SAAMI specs,,, you will find they will all be plenty strong.
    Find what's the most comfortable to you & go that way.
    If you are anywhere near WNC,, you could sample all of mine to see.

Boolit Master
    One thing that I really like on my SRH is that I can mount a optic using the scope mounts that are milled into the top of the frame. Maybe I can shoot with irons now, but the day will come that I will need the the optic in order to hit what I am aiming at.

I have shot the SBH hunter and the standard redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel. The SBH handled recoil a lot better than the redhawk. The redhawk grip is comfortable until you pull the trigger. In the redhawk I was shooting moderate magnums and it hurt more than the SBH with factory hornady xtp loads. I would go with the SBH.

Boolit Master
    When it comes to shooter comfort, the SRH with the Hogue Tamer grip is a pussycay compared to the SBH, IMO. As far as strength it is pretty much a wash. If lighter size and weight are a priority, the SBH has the edge but not by much. As always, it is best to try before you buy if possible as what floats one's boat may sink another's.

To thumbcocker, you hit the nail on the head, the problem is, I haven't shot either caliber or either the SBH or SRH, I know I can handle the recoil, because back when I was younger a friend had a single shot 12 sawed of pistol grip with about a 12-14" barrel, and I could shoot a box though it. but I left the crowd I was running with and now have no friends, and no one to borrow any of these guns from. I am basically trying to get as much info on the 2 calibers I am considering, and the strength of the revolvers, as far as my personal comfort, I know it will be up to me, and I will just have to go by what I feel holding them at the gun store when It is time to buy.i think deep in my heart it has always been the Blackhawk, just want to make sure it is going to be plenty strong, even though I am not a max load kind of guy. stronger means longer lasting. thankyou for your insight, Travis from tulsa
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

and also, contender thanks for the offer, id love to get to shoot all those revolvers, but I don't have any plans for travel in the near future. thanks a lot though, Travis

Banned
    you said it right there, "i think deep in my heart it has always been the Blackhawk" . thats what i'd go with. trust your gut instincts! the super blackhawk!

i think everybody can agree with srh is stronger than the sbh. but realistically the sbh is all you need. i doubt if you will ever need anything from a sbh.
    i used to own a srh(i was young and DUMB) and at the time jacketed bullets where a good place to start with maximum loads out the reloading manual. i did do things, such as purposefully cracking cases and blowing up/pierce thu the primers, to that poor srh. but it never even burped to the things i fed it. i've long since passed my young and dumb stage,i'm 43(and i'm a stroke survior) and i will be happy with a 44mag that can do 250gr cast with unique.

now we'll just get you a 44 mag in sbh and some cast boolits....

Anyone in O K who could hook the Kidd up with a trip to the range?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

I like the SRH..The double action, the ease in which to load and built in scope mounting slots is worth it to me. My son weighs in at about 100 lbs he shoots my heavy loads with one hand (standing up) not off a bench..Off a bench it will hurt.. SRH is a very tough double action that is a comfort to shoot..I switched out the standard wood and rubber grips to the hogue.
    It is my deer hunting pistol and range fun gun.
    The black hawk will roll up with recoil and is just different to me, just a different beast, still very tough.

Tdoyka, thanks for encouraging what I should have just known... now it is the waiting and saving that sucks.will be the new year when I get it.i will then check out the stores to hande both the reg. and the bisley style, I think I will like the bisley but wont know til I feel them both.

Boolit Master
    This won't help with the .480 aspect of this decision, but I have a SBH in .44 Mag, a couple BHs in .45 Colt, and a RH in .45 Colt. They are all plenty strong enough to handle loads that my wrists can't stand up to. I would suggest getting whatever feels best to you. Also, let me know if you pass through anywhere near Waco, TX before you buy, and we can get together and give you a chance to play with my revolvers.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

sounds cool lonegun, what kind of grip do you prefer, bisley or the regular offering from ruger

Boolit Master
    I use the standard grips, but have never fired a Bisley, so can't speak for or against them. The Bisley felt odd at the fun shop though.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

ive only ever held a regular redhawk once at a gun store in town.... I have so much experience with rugers I should write a book!

Boolit Master
    It appears you MAY be leaning toward the SBH in 480. It has the Bisley style grip frame. It is generally accepted by most folks that this style handles heavy recoil much better then the Dragoon style or the plow handle style. When Ruger introduced the first Bisleys back in the 80's,,, I figured it wouldn't last. Until I tried one,,, in a 45 Colt. My predictions were WRONG,,, and now I own several Rugers with Bisley grip frames. I have found that the bigger calibers, especially when shooting the heavier loads are much more controllable, and less punishing on the hands than any other style.
    Hopefully, someone around here can get you to their range with a few guns to try,,,!

Boolit Master
    The new SRH are 5 shot as well I have the old model with the 6 holes which was discontinued for sticky cases with hot loads? I have never experienced this but that is the reason I am told ruger went with a 5 shot cylinder, don't know if it had to do with heat expansion on the cylinder or if they where able to make the cylinders with larger chambers with a little more elbow room.

Boolit Master
    "The new SRH are 5 shot as well I have the old model with the 6 holes which was discontinued for sticky cases with hot loads? I have never experienced this but that is the reason I am told ruger went with a 5 shot cylinder, don't know if it had to do with heat expansion on the cylinder or if they where able to make the cylinders with larger chambers with a little more elbow room."

i just got off Rugers site. Where does it show the SRH is a five shot now. I may have missed it.

Banned

They are still 6 shot. Ruger is proud of the steel they use. Special contract guns might be 5.
    But Bisley grips don't fit me. I can not get away from the trigger guard with my large knuckle so I tend to alter my hold and only a small change will ruin groups FAST. You can't move your hand at all.
    Recoil does not change but feel will, does no good if you can't hit. S&W 29 is the same, you must super glue the gun to your hand or they jump 10". I have only shot ONE good group with a Bisley.
    Huntington might have perfected it but I never got the chance to test it.
    Wish I could convince that feel is not reflected on target.
    Years and years and nobody has shown a Bisley will shoot superior groups.
    The other stick in the craw is "ROLL." You never let a revolver "roll". That came from getting the hammer close to cock the next shot faster. NEVER!
    Bisley was made to get off hand, one hand shooting more in line with your eye with light paper loads. Recoil was nothing back then.

The Ruger "Bisley" grip is actually kinda close to Elmer's #5 but not quite it. Skeeter Skelton had input on the design. The effect is more of a push into the palm than a twist. I know that .44 Man will never be on the Bisley Bandwagon but for me it works. Some of the best shooting I have ever done has been with Bisley gripframed guns. I am not in .44 Man's league as a shooter but for me it works. Like I said before go with what feels good to you.

Mt second favorite grip is a SBH with Hogue rubber grips. Ugly but effective.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

I admit the TWIST on the wrist is not pleasant from a hog leg, the .475 worse then anything EVER. But the Freedom .475 was the very worst until the rubber grips were bought. My BFR still has rise and twist severe. The .500 JRH in the BFR is not as bad.
    But there is something about consistent hold with a gun.
    Yet, nobody has shown what a Bisley does other then a better feel.
    You know mods will not allow a challenge and after warnings I have to respect that. I will not ask.
    But knowledge has no limit.
    Will mods allow a test? I don't know. They keep us in line from personal junk with respect but grips are like powders or boolit against boolit. Not personal in the least, mechanics against each.
    Forgive me but it is like shooting trap with a shotgun that does not fit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast