MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Chocolate Pound Cake

Boolit Grand Master

Chocolate Pound Cake

A friend of my wife baked this and sent over several slices with some lemon bars . Pound cake is my favorite , this was so good I ate all the slices in one sitting ! Wife didn't get a crumb. It's that good.
    She gave my wife the recipe and said it was her mother's . They called it the "funeral cake" because her mom would always bake one, slice it up and bring to funerals and wakes.

We do that a lot in the South, some ladies have one special dish they make to bring and are known far and wide for it . Sometimes it's the only time they make that special dish.
    I just love passed down family recipe's with a back story.

Chocolate Pound Cake ( aka the funeral cake )

2 sticks butter
    1/2 cup Crisco
    3 cups sugar
    5 eggs
    3 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup skim milk
    2 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter, Crisco and suger very well. Add eggs one at a time and beat well
    Sift together flour, cocoa powder , salt and baking powder.
    Add to creamed mixture, alternating with milk and vanilla.
    Pour into a greased and floured pan ( tube pan or bundt pan ).
    Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Watch closely last 10 minutes and use cake tester.

Hint, when the edges of a pound cake just barely start to pull away from the side of the pan , take it out ! I don't care what the tester says ! It will continue to cook after taking out of the oven. A dry pound cake is not much good, a moist one is heavenly.

If you leave the cake in the oven until the tester comes out perfectly clean...it will be dry !
    I overcooked a lot of pound cakes doing this . Watch the edges !
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds devine. I'm at the stage where I have to mind this type of thing. A small slice with a small dollop of ice cream?? Yes. Having this around the kitchen?? Unfortunately no.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Thanks, rainy day here yesterday so I baked one up. Good stuff, wife impressed.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Boolit Grand Master

Going to try it later this week.

Boolit Grand Master

My daughter has promised to bake me one for Father's Day....looking forward to it.
    Then we're going to the shooting range.. Last year she gave me a supply of wheel weights ...
    She sure knows what I enjoy.
    I might let the wife have a slice of this one...maybe .
    Gary

Well, Father's Day is upon us, and my lovely wife (of almost 52 years) baked one of these cakes for tomorrow. I'll have a review tomorrow afternoon.

Leon

If it is as good as it looks..........

And now......... Drum roll.......... It's as good as it looks, the recipe is a keeper!
    Last edited by Ole Joe Clarke; 06-19-2016 at 05:18 PM.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Looks good . I'll go a step farther and say I know it's good . I can smell it here in Texas !

Boolit Master

So there was an old gent who was bedridden and dying and he had but one vice left in him after all those years and that was his delight in the eating of chocolate chip cookies.
    As he lay in bed one morning he smelled the aroma of - yes!- chocolate chip cookies wafting up the stairs into his bedroom. He HAD to have that delicious goodness one more time before he passed and so he painfully levered himself out of bed and staggered to the staircase, going down to the kitchen one step at a time.... he turned the corner and there they were, chocolate chip cookies still warm from the oven!
    The old man reached out and just as he was about to pick up a cookie his wife yelled out "Leave those alone, they're for the funeral"!
    Gun control is not about guns.