WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In order to beat a dead horse... (AR-15)

Banned

you can use normal scope rings and sit the scope lower but you have to clear the charging handle and still be able to operate it.
    I use an older leupold 4x12x50 and keep it fairly low and fairly forward, but I have to reach in from the back to operate the handle.

Boolit Master
    What is this charging handle of which you speak? Mine has a ramrod under the barrel.

Boolit Master
    I lost tract but also agree with the Hornady 55gr SP

Another bullet that is very hard to beat and still not priced too bad is the Sierra 65gr Game King. It works great on deer and hogs and is very accurate out of my 1 in 9 twist AR-15

Motor

Boolit Grand Master

In order to beat a dead horse... (AR-15)

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    That scope is right up my alley. Dumb question: It seems that many AR scope mounts sit really high. Is that the norm?
    Yes, for the reason R5R pointed out. It would be nice to have the scope lower and further back. But using a stock charging handle becomes an issue if you do this. Using on of the offset charging handles gets rid if this issue. But I'm not a fan of their prices or looks.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 05-14-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Yes, for the reason R5R pointed out. It would be nice to have the scope lower and further back. But using the charging handle becomes an issue if you do this.
    The rifle was designed with the open sights high above the bore. You simply can't get your face low enough on the stock to see through a low mounted scope.

Motor

Banned

the 120 ground squirrels I have shot this week would probably disagree with you.
    I have less than 3/8" clearance between the scope and the charge handle on the 6-H.
    it just feels right though.

ohh that reminds me I need to go double check the sp/sx supply in the basement.
    if I'm low I'm thinking of switching to the V-max and starting to bulk up now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    The rifle was designed with the open sights high above the bore. You simply can't get your face low enough on the stock to see through a low mounted scope.

Motor
    Huh? I can mount a red dot directly to the rail and see through it fine. The P-series mount is actually a little to high for me. I have no issue running an optic at rail height. It's the exact opposite of the Ruger American Ranch I have. The comb is so low on the stock that even w/ a dot mounted on the rail I have to lift my cheek off the stock to be able to see through it. Any scope mount that adds height makes it infinitely worse.

Another vote for the Hornady 55gr SP bulk bullets. Very affordable, and they perform well. I tend to set them atop either Varget or Win748. Mostly Varget these days....who can find 748??? If I recall....my load for either is very similar, wandering around 27-28 grains, loaded just under mag length. Pretty mild...but they seem to work.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post

Motor
    Well I have this same problem too despite what others have said. I dont doubt their experience though. Maybe my face is bigger or something. But with no drop in the stock, and the original sight in the carry handle, you have a valid point imho.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Look at LaRue mounts. Since your down the rabbit hole an stuck in a gun control State (that doesn't trust you with skinny AR barrels)
    Go here and read:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_AR_15.html

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Well I have this same problem too despite what others have said. I dont doubt their experience though. Maybe my face is bigger or something. But with no drop in the stock, and the original sight in the carry handle, you have a valid point imho.
    I will say that low combs always give me trouble. Most recent one is a Ruger American Ranch. Why they put such a low comb on a rifle w/ no iron sights is beyond me. A dot mounted at rail height is still to high. And because of the bedding no one makes a replacement for the short barreled ranch versions. Still deciding what I'm going to do to fix it.

Banned

I have been seeing a trend of open sighted stocks being put on scoped designed rifles.
    I just bought a Bergara and they done the same thing.
    I need to wrap a pad about around the stock to align my eye.
    their other rifle types don't have this 'feature' and it does bother me just a bit since it is the only fault I can find in an otherwise excellent rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Also check out the Dogtown bullets at Midwayusa http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...n-hollow-point

Put those over Varget or 8208-xbr and in my bone stock LE6920 I am solidly below moa.

I am good for 1 - 1.25 moa with the Hornady 55g sp.

Boolit Buddy
    Wolf Gold. Shoots great, no effort or thinking. These puppies shoot, brass can be reloaded, and the price is right. AR's are most fun when someone else is paying for the ammo.

Dave

Banned

nooo, noo they ain't.
    those paying for the ammo expect you to expel it only when there is incoming from someone else getting free ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    One more for the bulk hornady 55 gr SP and FMJ. Less than $80 per 1,000 with free shipping when on sale. They shoot fine in my AR and less than 1/2 moa in my 223 Handi. For hunting larger game I use the 60 gr Nosler partition.
    +1 for the hornady 55gr FMJ here. I haven't cast for rifles yet but those were better performing for me than the wolf gold/surplus junk I was feeding it before.

Boolit Master
    When they are on sale the 52gr A-max is hard to beat, I usually get 500, and they usually run around $65. They shoot great in my AR, 223 savage, and the 222 Rem!

Where are these bulk bullet deals, and does anyone know of any 60 grain bulk bullet deals??
    Not QUITE an AR....actually nowhere near an AR, but uses the same magazines...

I found that the 60 gr Hornaday SP bullet seems to really get this baby going..

Before anyone cries foul, those were fired with an unmagnified red dot which has a dot bigger than the bullseye at that distance, so I might be able to get better accuracy when I get a real scope on it

As the OP said, anyone have luck with cats - that Lee 55 grain boolit caught me eye. Rifle is a 1-7 twist piston gun.

Vendor Sponsor

Don't shoot Hornady 55 gr SX out of that scar .. All you will get is splatter at 25-30 yards
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    The Continuing Saga of Bungalow Bill...

I've worked halfway through a bulk order of 55 grain Hornady SP's, and Varget and CFE-223 powder. Accuracy is a skinch better with the Varget, but velocity is a skinch higher with the CFE-223 (with accuracy hovering at MOA). Settling on CFE-223 from here out as bore cleaning is a snap after using it- it really does reduce copper fouling like crazy.

I went with a Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x w/v-brite reticle, and couldn't be happier.

End weight is almost 9# all-up w/scope, thanks in large part to the mandated 20" HBar. I ordered a Magpul fixed rifle stock that is purportedly 8oz. less weight than the standard A2 stock I started with. My only fear then will be that it'll be decidedly muzzle heavy. But again, for my intended use (and use thus far) that may not be an issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast