Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: inherited a star

inherited a star

inherited this star sizer from my neighbor. said he hasnt used it in about 15 years. what is a good way to completely clean it out and get it back in shape? he used to shoot bullseye matches so he only used it to size 45 cal 200 grain swc.

Attachment 168089Attachment 168090

Boolit Master
    get an old pan big enough to hold the star laying down.
    make sure the wife is not around.
    fill pan with 3 inches of water and a couple tablespoons of laundry detergent (dissolves grease/oil).
    put on stove and light fire.
    when water boiling, put star in, with top cap off and side brass plug removed.
    let sit for 5 min.
    take old toothbrush and scrub.
    put work glove on weak hand to hold star while scrubbing.
    move star to sink and rinse with hot water.
    remove from sink, will air dry in seconds.
    could use a little oil/wax/crisco to put on steel parts.
    star now shiny

Banned
    Easy way is to fill it with new lube and use it to push out all the old lube and junk. That is what I did to an old Star that I bought and it came out 100% clean in the process.

Banned
    Find a friend with a parts washer and do like 6bg says you just need to get the crud off the outside and it will clean up nice I have two of them that looked like fugitives from a junk yard and they cleaned up beautiful so good one of my reloading friends offered me more than I paid for both of them for one.

Moderator Emeritus

From the outside, it looks good to go.
    I'd just fill it, and push the old lube out as 6bg6ga prescribes, then start lubing/sizing.

But it you feel the need to take it apart, besure that you are familiar with it and/or have a parts diagram and maybe a procedure to re-assemble and adjust it.
    Good luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Since it-looks like it has most of the original star sticker on it I don't think you would want to use solvent on it if you want to preserve it's originality just wipe the dust off and use it have fun

Banned
    I absolutely wouldn't use any solvents on the outside. Just carefully wipe it down.

Boolit Master
    When I'm interested in a quick (and total) clean out, I use a propane burner outside (same burner I smelt larger batches of lead/alloys with) and a pot tall enough to cover the unit after removing the handle to softly boil the sizer. Remove the reservoir pressure rod and screw assembly to allow the old lube to float to the top. The large brass screw on the base should be removed, along with any die. Everything but the wooden operating handle gets boiled together.
    All of the old lube/lubes will float, making it easy to remove before pulling your clean lubrisizer through the film.
    Boiling disassembled this way will leave your Star ready for filling with whatever lube you choose.

I like to use compressed air to blow out any recesses, and again after applying a little oil on exposed steel parts, including the spring loaded lube pump at the bottom rear.. You will also find oiling holes on a couple of shafts near the top of the sizer, lubricate those shafts to finish your prep.

thanks for all the info. i used a hair dryer to get it hot after removing plugs. got most of the old lube out. air kit is in the mail to me now. cant wait to try it out. only thing i have ever used is my lam2. this should speed up production a bunch.

Congrats you'll love your new-to-you Star !
    fwiw here's an idea of value of your inheritance
    recent FeeBay sold prices - more than new at magma
    Crazy huh ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    I think the one that went for $400 had 3 sets of dies with it. So maybe not such a bad deal.