Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Dutch Boy 888 solder

Dutch Boy 888 solder

I have dug all over the place and all over this site and can't come up with a composition for Dutch Boy 888 solder. I did find that 888 is a plumbing solder used primarily to make wiping joints. Then I saw something not Dutch Boy specific that said typical mixes for wiping joint solder would be 6 parts lead to 4 parts tin or 10 parts lead to 6 parts tin. That puts wiping solder in the 37.5%-40% tin range. Has anyone ever found the actual content of the 888?

Boolit Master
    Check my post on Dutch Boy solders.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l-Lead-Co-bars

This is what Dutch Boy said about their 888 solder:

"DUTCH BOY 888
    Dutch Boy 888 is strictly a plumber's solder. It wipes a joint that will not sweat unless the solder is doped too heavily with lead. It has a melting range of 361°F-453°F. UTS 7,000psi. STR 5,275psi. Bhn 13.3. SpGr 9.33. It is sold in bars and ingots."

Also: "DUTCH BOY BAR SOLDER
    Dutch Boy bar solder is available in eight grades — each one of which is suitable for certain kinds of work and is designated by number. The grades with the lowest numerical designation contain the most tin."

I was not able to find out the exact amount of tin in most of the Dutch Boy solders. That was evidently a company secret, however, 888 is a long way from their solder with the most tin, 111.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    Check my post on Dutch Boy solders.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...l-Lead-Co-bars

This is what Dutch Boy said about their 888 solder:

"DUTCH BOY 888
    Dutch Boy 888 is strictly a plumber's solder. It wipes a joint that will not sweat unless the solder is doped too heavily with lead. It has a melting range of 361°F-453°F. UTS 7,000psi. STR 5,275psi. Bhn 13.3. SpGr 9.33. It is sold in bars and ingots."

Also: "DUTCH BOY BAR SOLDER
    Dutch Boy bar solder is available in eight grades — each one of which is suitable for certain kinds of work and is designated by number. The grades with the lowest numerical designation contain the most tin."

I was not able to find out the exact amount of tin in most of the Dutch Boy solders. That was evidently a company secret, however, 888 is a long way from their solder with the most tin, 111.

Yeah, I found all the same info including the 1939 National Lead catalog. I went with the idea that 888 is likely 40% tin, 60% lead because that's what I have read the typical wiping solder composition was. I mixed up some alloy using the 888 and assuming 40/60 composition and it seems to have turned out on spec.

Boolit Master
    Have BNE do a test.

Boolit Bub
    I tested mine with a metal analsys gun at work. 75 pb. 22.5 sn.2.5 sb