WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yildiz shotguns at Academy Sports

Banned

Yildiz shotguns at Academy Sports

Was looking at a single shot >410 there the other day imported from Turkey. It's designed to fold up and is light, probably too light even for a .410, but it sure was graceful in the hands.

Got me to wondering if they might be decent for a barrel stubbing project to make a .32 S&W walk around rifle. I kind of like the idea of a hammerless design for this and these would fit the bill. Anyone have one?

Boolit Grand Master
    There were a few threads that talked of using these for a donor action in the past. Maybe in the gunsmithing section?

The only folding .410 I have ever shot was an Italian one (Beretta?) that my neighbor had. With 2½" shells it wasn't bad.

I do think that as long as the trigger can be made decent, they would make a nice little "rook" or bunny rifle. Maybe in .32 S&W Long?

Robert

Boolit Master
    I don't see any problem with it. I would likely go with a barrel/chamber insert for .32 S&W. Then you can remove the insert to make it a shotgun again too.
    This website might give you ideas too.
    http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm
    Their .22 Hornet insert for a .410 looks quite interesting. That would make for a good bunny round too.

Boolit Buddy

It bears a strong resemblance to the excellent Beretta single of not too long ago. I only regret once (every morning) not adding one of them, when they sold for peanuts..... I digress.

It should be doable - I had a friend turn down a milsurp 8x57 Mauser barrel, which (after cutting off the chamber/chamber swell end) we fitted (we actually epoxied the "new" liner in place) to the .410 bore of an old (ca.1925) H&R Bay State break-open single-shot, & chambered for the .32 S&W.

We might not have needed to, but bushed the firing pin anyway.

It made for an excellent, low-budget ($150 total, for donor gun & milsurp 8mm bbl) woodswalker.

Banned

I actually have one of the Berettas mentioned. Pretty little gun, it's a 20 gauge with a short, youth stock on it.

I was thinking one of these Yildiz .410s (which retail brand new for $129.95) would sleeve nicely to .32 S&W.

The barrel sleeves Track of the Wolf sells by the inch designed for the .32-20 are 1/2" outside diameter they say. Seems like it would be easy enough to cut of the .410 barrel at the front of the chamber, drill it to the proper diameter then thread one of those barrel sleeves and the inside of the chamber to hold it together. Would one of those sleeves be strong enough to serve as a barrel just by itself?

It would have to be chambered, obviously, and an extractor cut would need to be made and an extractor modified or fabricated. How hard would all this be for a guy with no lathe and no machining experience?

I think I'm gonna go look at one of these again and see how big the firing pins in them are.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    I don't see any problem with it. I would likely go with a barrel/chamber insert for .32 S&W. Then you can remove the insert to make it a shotgun again too.
    This website might give you ideas too.
    http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm
    Their .22 Hornet insert for a .410 looks quite interesting. That would make for a good bunny round too.
    This is an interesting idea. It wasn't clear to me how they extract/eject spent cartridges? Seems like one of these could be put in with Loctite for an easy barrel lining.

Boolit Master
    I built a 32SWL on one, there's a thread here on it. If you decide to go this way just go ahead and buy 2. It will save you the trouble of going back. I shot the one I bought to convert, was so much fun I couldn't do it so had to go backand buy another for the conversion. It is a ball as a 410 shotgun,all 3.3 lbs of it!
    I made a new monoblk (actually a friend did the bulk of the work) and threaded a .308 barrel from gunparts to it, and made a new extractor. I played withit some time back but have been working 7 days a week and distracted with other "toys". Now you have motivated me to dig it back out and do some serious shooting. Now I have 3 additional moulds for the 32s and 2 new pistols to go with it.
    On the trigger , it is stiff and I have not done anything to improve it. On the list! The firing pin is already bushed and really is fine (dia wise) for the 32 Long. I would not put a 327Fed in the action due to case head thrust but 32 HR would be fine as is. Using a TOW liner would work well but the barrel walls would be very thin after drilling out to .5 ID. I think the 410 barrel OD is only 9/16 inch! It should be as much fun to shoot as the 410 version.
    I have shot my 410 on the order of 500 to 1000 rounds, I don't keep records well. It is choked mod and works well on doves and rabbits( I have plenty other guns, just enjoy hunting with this little toy).
    We put on an International Skeet clinic at our local club. Frank Thompson was one of the instructors. During a morning break I caught Frank and handed it to him without saying a word. He grinned , then grinned some more when I showed him a bag of shells. We shot international skeet singles with that little thing till the shells ran out. I missed some, Frank did not miss ANY! Everyone who has shot it giggles, no kidding , giggles!!! So buy 2

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...32SWL-bunnygun
    Last edited by rking22; 05-13-2016 at 10:00 PM. Reason: added link
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I have done about 1/2 dozen conversions on the Beretta from 32 acp to 45 acp and a 30-40. Copy lug from the original barrel and silver solder it to the new barrel. Rimless extractor is a bit fun to make. The liner idea for a 410 does not work as well. If you turn the liner down it may not shoot as well and some 410 barrel will warp if reamed out. You might be able to use a 3/8" 22 liner and do a 22 hornet by putting a sleeve on the chamber end to take up the 410 chamber. Hornets are good for blowing primers so the firing pin would need to be bushed.

Boolit Master
    The company I mentioned above was typically selling the inserts for the .410 in .218 and .22 calibers. I think that they ran into the problems you mentioned. But they sell all of the inserts for .410, 20 guage and 12 gauge in 2.75", 10" and 18" lengths. The short inserts are interesting as it is like having a silencer on the gun. The large diameter barrel acts like a silencer with many of the different calibers. The 10 inch barrel would be pretty nice with the pistol calibers.

Boolit Master
    A little off topic, but I made a 22LR chamber insert for 12 ga. If I was careful about orientation, I could shoot resonably well out to 50ft. Turned brass to fit the chamber closely then bored and inserted a 6 inch barrel offset for the rim hit. It seemed to me, the little thing was avtually louder than a 6 inch pistol! Could have just been that I expected it to be quiter. I have not fooled around with the concept any more but I keep thinking a long 32HR or 38Spec adapter would be "neat" in a Ruger 28Ga OU, kinda useless for me, but neat For me, I want a "bunny gun" to be light and accurate with good iron sights. The Yildiz could be that with a long adapter if you had it made to fit the chamber and the barrel portion larger dia so that you bored the 410 barrel larger and locktighted the adapter in place. Then cut that 28 inch barrel back and install some good sights. A 22 inch barrel is a good ballance on the little gun.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

As cheap as they are, buying two might be a good idea. Seriously considering making one of these. Might be a .22 Hornet, the weight and trim handling qualities would be great.

Boolit Master
    In hornet, you may need to make a smaller firing pin, I'll check mine and get back on the dia. Oh , the fit and finish on these is outstanding. Makes HR and Rossi look like they were finished out by toddlers with hatchets!

I wanted one of these to make a rifle out of and stopped at a Academy Sports store in GA last year and they would not sell me one. They told me there store policy is to only sell guns to residents of the state the store is in or a connecting state bordering where the store is ???
    I am a resident of OH and usually drive to FL at least once a year and the Academy stores are only in TN and GA along I 75 so unless I can find one used somewhere I am out of luck.
    The few they had at the store had very nice looking Turkish Walnut stocks and the overall fit and finish was really good for a $ 120 gun. I still want one !

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Well , that stinks,did you check any other stores to see if maybe it was just that Academy? If I hear of any used ones I'll keep you in mind.

Oops forgot, I checked my fireing pins and I would give the hornet a try on the factory setup. It is about the same fit and dia as my CZ hornet.

Banned

Our Academy here is relatively new, about a year. I have no idea what states have them and which ones don't. They are the only place I have seen selling these, but surely there is another distributor?

Boolit Master
    I'm wary of converting .410s in general, for at least in Europe there are so many old Belgian .410s, excellent for their intended purpose, which are a shape and weight to make a delightful Hornet rifle, and yet I wouldn't trust the materials or the dimensions. I have seen one, probably with untypically defective material or workmanship, broken in the action bar by shotgun use.

The Yildiz is in a different league from those, and I would have no hesitation converting it for a pistol cartridge of moderate pressure, probably stopping short of the .327 Federal. Others may know more than I do about its metallurgy, but without that I don't believe I would do it as a Hornet or .218 Bee. The receiver is of 7075 aluminium alloy, which in the right version and state of temper can have the tensile and yield strength of some steels. But you can't see a state of temper.

.25 caliber liners from Track of the Wolf (or TJ's, who make them) have the advantage of 7/16in. in diameter, and John Taylor mentions with turning down or reaming. A .44 Special or .44-40 (I'd prefer the former) has an advantage if you want to use TJ's liners. They make the calibres for the Colt SAA in 7/8in. diameter. and thus suitable for using only the first few inches as a monobloc. Another option, if you care to use a .270 barrel blank, would be the .270 REN, which is what you get by fireforming the Hornet case virtually straight.

I don't believe there would be anything wrong with epoxying a liner in a gun like this, though I would use the slow and strong epoxy. Loctite should work better if you get the fit of the liner too close to be sure of its filling all of the joint. For that would give the least likelihood of the barrel warping as it heats up. It isn't going to be the hottest barrel in the world, but you can do an illuminating experiment by setting up the rifle in a fixed rest pointing at a target, inserting a laser boresighter in the muzzle, and holding a lighted match under the barrel.

A friend with a pair of inherited Purdeys was very pleased with a Yildiz over and under, which he used while working on an engineering contract in Turkey. The .410 looks good, especially if the walnut lives up to what their website shows, and depending on the sear design, you might find that that rather long grip permits the use of a double set trigger. I think I would be inclined to replace the forend without that bevel at the rear, giving up the folding feature but possible easily taken down by unclipping the forend in the usual shotgun manner. But that is just me, and my idea of looks.

Did you mean Academy are their sole distributor in the US? If I have the right Academy they have stores in Kentucky, which neighbours Ohio. Yildiz say "We are very happy to be a worldwide known company", which means they might be happy to lean on Academy if you ask them.

http://www.yildizshotgun.com/en/anasayfa.html

http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/brands/yildiz

Banned

I have mixed feelings about Academy. On the one hand, it sure was good to get a place that finally had rimfire ammo and reloading components consistently and they are a great general purpose sporting goods store for all kinds of stuff.

Stores like them, and online sights, are destroying old school gun shops though. Almost none of the guns they stock are very interesting to me, which is why these little .410s stood out. The average schmuck who isn't really a gun nut will go there to by the latest reviewed black rifle or auto pistol without looking any further. Can't fault academy, really, they are simply doing what free enterprise dictates, but I still like the old school brick and mortar gun shops.

I'm gonna buy one of these Yildiz shotguns. Might be years before I get to it, but a small, break open single shotgun is a useful thing to have around anyway and they are so cheap, I think I can afford to have it around idle for a while.

Boolit Bub
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/594260.htm

numrich has some thin wall (.440OD) 9mm/.38 barrel liners....

If if there was an Academy anywhere in New England, I'd be on this like a fat kid on cupcakes.

It is 3 states minimum for me to get to one. To drive would cost more than the gun does.

It would be tempting to have one of you guys that live close to one pick one up for me.
    But then we are looking at shipping and FFL fees. Kind of destroys the whole point.

I'm interested, but I don't want to have to go over 150$ total, so I don't see how it can be done at this point.

That walnut sure looks good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast