Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Lee .30 caliber 200gr rifle mould...

Boolit Buddy

Cool Lee .30 caliber 200gr rifle mould...

I just bought a Lee moud that has given me a loading quirk. I am casting them in pure lynotype (got 600 pounds for free in type form) and they drop out very nice. The problem is this. This a bore ride design. Well, the body that's supposed to ride on top of the lands, it's too big. The shank measures .3045" and when bolted into my Weatherby 30-06 there is a stiff bolt. OK I can live with that. The problem is that the rifling engraves the body about 2/3s the way dowm. I bought this mould to shoot it out of my .308 M1 Garand.
    I have the 180gr boolit mould and it's just fine. Is there a possibility that the cherries that were used were oversized? Lee said that I should add tin to the alloy. Well, if I do that the boolits will be like Elephant slaying solids, not to mention the weight will be on the light side. Any ideas on if I should return the mould for another?

Bad Karma

Not helping your problem but you could just junk the mould - my way - and I'll use it in my 303 brit.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    Try some out os straight wheelweights. I have never worked with Lino, but I believe it is known to produce boolits that are on the large side. Wheelweights can be heat treated into the 30+ BHN range which should be plenty hard for most uses, and might produce a slightly smaller slug.

Smile

I got one recently that's similar. Bought it for my K-31 because some people on here had complained about undersized bore riders in the .298" range, which would be PERFECT for my K-31. Got what you got, and I have to keep them a bit soft and slam the bolt handle hard 2-3 times to get them seated in the K-31 (which is a lot tighter throated than the Weatherby.)

How are you getting engraving halfway down the boolit body in a Weatherby? Mine's got about 3/8" freebore with most factory jacketed bullets seated to maximum magazine feeding length.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    just starting to cast with lino too. They do drop out larger then with WW. I can hardly get the gas checks on one boolit design in lino that go on fine with ww's.

Moderator Emeritus
    Bad Karma,

If you are using linotype, you already have way more tin than you need. I don't think that adding any more would help.

I would try mixing the linotype with WW to see size the boolits drop at. I shoot a lot of rifle boolits and more are just ACWW. I do have a couple hundred pounds of Linotype and FoundryType, but haven't used it much.

John

Boolit Buddy
    As far as my Weatherby is concerned it shouldn't have any problem because they free bore it generously. I got in touch with Lee and they said to return the mould. So I did and they will replace it for nothing. My M1 has a Krieger barrel on it, so I expect it to be a bit tight. The 180gr version of the mould works fine. I love Lynotype, it casts a really hard boolit that sizes perfectly, especially out of my Lyman 429421 mould. I sent a pic to Lee and the bollit dimentions, they agreed that it was a the big side even for Lynotype. For the price they all can't be gems.