MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman Spar-T

Boolit Buddy

Lyman Spar-T

A friend is looking at buying a Lyman Spar-T turret press and asked what I thought of them. I don't have a good answer for him. Anyone here want to comment on this old model press, good or bad? Thanks in advance, Walt
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Master

The turret press is a great deal if you can find one with all the attachments: primer catcher, primer arm. Should be able to find one for $70 or so on E-bay if you look. Rock solid and will last for years to come. If you can't find one get the Lee Turret classic cast.

Boolit Master

They are an excellent old press. I started with one back around 1970 and still have and use it.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I happen to have one that I don't think was ever used. It does not have the priming stuff though. It is nice and tight. I never use it and most likely will not. I'd like to see it gone.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

I had one ...it was the only press I miss,gave it to a buddy several upgrades ago ....he wouldn't part with it for anything .... Not even a brand spanking new classic cast turret press with all the bells and whistles ... Until I came across a deal ( sort of ) on a brand new in the box spar-t lolz,they're stout,smooth and the only drawback is the lean,years ago they used to make alot of presses that leaned back ,I think just to sell the wedge accessory ( which are kinda rare nowadays ,he'll love it ! Especially if it's for a decent price
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Buddy
    Hey guys thanks for all the info. Do they take special primer arms unlike the common RCBS presses?

Boolit Master
    I've been using mine (regularly) since I bought it used in 1968. I've replaced primer punches a few times as they got worn. About every thousand rounds or so I pull the ram and run a 12 gauge shotgun cleaning brush through the opening in the press, then very lightly oil, and go back to reloading. Excellent press that will last several lifetimes, is simple to operate, and easy to maintain.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

I have one, they are great for loading large quantities of a single cartridge. You don't have to keep changing the dies and running in batches. I can load almost as fast as my Lee classic turret press. If you get it for a good price, I would jump on it.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

Boolit Master

I have 2 of them on my bench now good press well made
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    I have one set up for 44 mag . It works good for me .

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again guys lots of good info. I'm giving my buddy a thumbs up.

Boolit Master

It was my first Press over 30 years old and although i have several others, I still use it the most.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt