Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Another Trapdoor Sporter

In Remembrance

Another Trapdoor Sporter

I can't compare to Waksupi's skill in building rifles, but I did this one myself and at least I like it. I started with a Trapdoor that may have been someone's gunsmith project? The metal was all re-blued, but the stock was quite rough. I bought a pre-carve stock and had the inletting nearly done, was working on the buttplate, when we had a freak accident and the stock was water soaked and stained from the water and steel. I put it away for a couple-three years, then decided to see if I could salvage it. Luckily, there was still wood that needed to be removed, so I started sanding and finishing. I don't usually stain walnut stocks, but since this still showed a little staining in places, I used the antique Winchester stain/finish.

NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance
    I made the trigger guard, trigger plate, and extended tang from stuff I had.

A friend suggested using a sight hood as a "poor man's globe sight", I had one so polished it up a bit and cold blued it
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance
    So, there it is. I haven't shot it yet, still casting and loading ammo for the rifle. The tang sight is an old C. Sharps I bought a few years ago, also put a Buffington barrel sight on the rifle.

And yes, I did save all the old furniture, stock, etc., although this will not be a collectible rifle.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice work.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey, if you like it and it shoots good, there's nothing else to worry about. I think it looks nice for sure.

Hello Mr mazo kid.
    If I might add to your thread...
    Your rifle is looking good and will be fun on the range, I suspect.
    Speaking of Trapdoor tang sight possibilities, I ciphered a way to utilize a Marble Arms tang sight made for a Savage 99.
    Rifle has no permanent modifications and the sight works well, although it is not soldier proof.
    Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140909_002.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	168057

Name:	WP_20140909_006.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	168058

Name:	WP_20140909_007.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	168059
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Perm-Banned
    thanks, that was fun seeing and reading

Boolit Master
    It is looking really nice. You did a good job on it.

Wow that looks really nice, I like it. Almost makes me wish I hadn't sold mine to Bruce, but just almost, I certainly would never have gotten up and running like Bruce did. It was the right thing to do.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

In Remembrance
    Very clever way to get a tang sight on your rifle without modifying the stock!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master

Paul,

If you ever want her back, just let me know. But yes, she is fun to shoot.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Very clever way to get a tang sight on your rifle without modifying the stock!
    Thanks!

Someday, I'll find a donor stock and inlet the wood for a Montana Vintage Arms sight similar to the one you are using.

Then, I'll be in the tall cotton!

Name:	1311.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	168266
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Moderator Emeritus

Mazo, don't be so humble. Anyone who's ever done what you have knows full well what all is involved in it. You did very well, sir! And I suspect taking a deer with it will only add greatly to the hunting experience, too. The hardest part for me is always getting the grip to feel just like I want it to. It's amazing how just a few thousandths can make such a big difference in how it feels.

And BTW, you did a great job of finishing the wood so that it has that certain character of an honorable old gun. Not shiny, just a nice sheen. If I was grading you, I'd give you a solid "A" for your work.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    .......The hardest part for me is always getting the grip to feel just like I want it to. It's amazing how just a few thousandths can make such a big difference in how it feels.
    And BTW, you did a great job of finishing the wood so that it has that certain character of an honorable old gun. Not shiny, just a nice sheen. If I was grading you, I'd give you a solid "A" for your work.
    Yes, it is hard to know just how much wood to take off. My pistol grip feels good, but I sometimes think I could have made the forearm a bit more slender. Oh, and thanks for the kind words.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Yes, it is hard to know just how much wood to take off. My pistol grip feels good, but I sometimes think I could have made the forearm a bit more slender. Oh, and thanks for the kind words.
    There is a simple formula for grip forming. Measure from the crease of the first joint in your trigger finger, to the most prominent crease on the opposite side of your hand in the palm. This is from outside, to outside. This is the distance that should be from the trigger to the tip on the grip.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    There is a simple formula for grip forming. Measure from the crease of the first joint in your trigger finger, to the most prominent crease on the opposite side of your hand in the palm. This is from outside, to outside. This is the distance that should be from the trigger to the tip on the grip.
    Never knew that. Thanks!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Can you clarify somewhat on this as I am seeing a difference in length between the two points you mention in the somewhat more closed American styled grips compared to the more open "English style" that has quite a difference in the relationship between the trigger and the grip end with the shooting stance the rifle is intended for determining the grip shape. A high elbow stance that is more suited to a fast jump shooting (or offhand shooting) will be much more comfortable with a long open grip where a low elbow stance is often used in the more deliberate and often rested shooting style that utilises the slightly more closed grip where the distance between the trigger and the grip tip is quite markedly different between the two styles.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    Can you clarify somewhat on this as I am seeing a difference in length between the two points you mention in the somewhat more closed American styled grips compared to the more open "English style" that has quite a difference in the relationship between the trigger and the grip end with the shooting stance the rifle is intended for determining the grip shape. A high elbow stance that is more suited to a fast jump shooting (or offhand shooting) will be much more comfortable with a long open grip where a low elbow stance is often used in the more deliberate and often rested shooting style that utilises the slightly more closed grip where the distance between the trigger and the grip tip is quite markedly different between the two styles.
    This measurement doesn't necessarily effect the grip shape, just the length of the grip, even with an open grip. Regardless of grip design, your hand remains the same size.
    Otherwise you end up with extra unnecessary wood on the stock. I got this from the Colorado School of Trades gunsmithing course book.
    Over the years I've gotten very attached to this method, as it lends itself to best overall stock design.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!