Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Taurus .380 jams

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks fatelk and all the rest here. I have one and will be ordering a new extractor for mine, as a "just in case" type thing. I like to have a few spare parts on hand if something breaks, so I can make repairs quickly. This was a very informative thread, and thanks to all.

Boolit Master
    Parts availability for this model is the best of the Taurus lineup.
    One of the reasons I bought mine.
    I have a bag of extra small parts for it, had something jump out of it one day while cleaning, just shrugged, open my drawer, got the baggie out and put the gun back together.
    Found the escapee later, but it was nice not having to tear the office apart looking for it.
    Unlike yesterday morning digging being the fish tank for my LCP guide rod before work.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

FYI, the extractor assembly, including the loaded chamber indicator and both springs, was $18 and change shipped.

Also, the extractor is very easy to take out. You just put a small pin (the pin on a Lee 30-06 case trimmer guide worked perfectly, plenty of leverage) in the hole in the underside of the slide, tilt it back to take the spring tension off the extractor, then tip and shake the slide a bit for it to drop into your hand. Taking the spring and spring pin out, or should I say getting it back in, is a different story; not easy at all.
    Last edited by fatelk; 05-28-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I believe you stated you had fixed the issue. What was happening, based on the descriptions, as the round was fired and pressures forced the slide to the rear the extractor was not properly holding the empty case on the breech face. The empty case was falling off the breech face once it cleared the chamber and the ejector didn't have a chance to eject it from the action. The result is either a weak ejection or the empty case sits on top of the top round in the magazine and is jammed into the feed ramp when the slide returns forward.

If you continue to tweak the extractor, use this check. Install the extractor in the slide and fit a loaded cartridge on the breech face shake the slide gently. There should be sufficient tension and grip to hold the cartridge on the breech face as you shake the slide. If it rattles it might be ok and if it is held firmly in place that is a good indicator that your extractor fit is good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234