RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The $89 50cc Chinese Chainsaw Is Here! What Does $89 Buy??

Boolit Grand Master

The $89 50cc Chinese Chainsaw Is Here! What Does $89 Buy??

I just couldn't stand it and ordered a 50cc (actually is says 52cc) Chinese chainsaw on Ebay. I had to see if it worked or not. I ordered Saturday and it came today so, what did I get? This http://www.ebay.com/itm/chainsaw-52C...3D301943833519. In fact, it looks just like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Skatco-P...3D301943833519 and this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asoika-PETRO...3D301943833519. I'm seeing a trend, here. Mass produced, low priced saw sold to different sellers and re-branded. They even come with the same stuff in the boxes.

The first thing I noticed was about 2in of the bar was sticking outside the box saying "chainsaw in here"!. The UPS guy asked if I thought it was ok and after looking at it I told him it was pretty tough to hurt a bar and it looked fine. When I opened the professional chainsaw box, I know it is a professional chainsaw because it says that right on the box, I saw that the box was actually made with a slot for the bar to stick out. That's kinda odd but must let them use a smaller box to save money. It is a decent looking 18in bar with a grease hole at the sprocket end and feels pretty stiff. On top of the Styrofoam was a 500ml plastic bottle to mix the gas up in with handy marks to tell you how much oil to put in. The 500ml bottle is the same size as the tank so mix a bottle and fill. Actually pretty handy.

Took off the top and there is the saw and stuff. The directions are all in English and pretty well written, surprisingly, with a few pictures. The saw itself is about 10.5 lbs and is a gasoline chainsaw. I know that because it says "gasoline chainsaw" on the side in case you missed the "professional chainsaw" on the box . Orange and plastic case looks a lot like an old Husky. Inside was also a chain. .325/.058 semi chisel. Looks ok and at least it's not a safety chain. There is also a tool package with a screwdriver for the idle/high speed adjustment, sparkplug/chain tightener wrench, file, allen wrench I guess for the case and bucking teeth but only one screw to attach them. I don't use them much anyways and its a standard looking allen screw so I bet I can pick one up at Lowes easy enough,

I read the directions and it says to use 10w30 oil at 20:1 for 20 hours then 25:1 afterwards. Odd, on the saw it says to use 90 Oct with 2 Cycle, huh. I'll go with the 2cycle. No recommendation for bar and chain oil so I'll use what I have. It says top end is 7,500rpms. That seems very low and is what is on the ebay sight. I didn't really believe that as who would make a 52cc saw that would do that? When reading the specs in the instructions it says 7,500 again then top end 11,000rpm's. Still a little low but within reason I think.

It looks like your standard homeowner grade saw. Chain brake, on/off switch not a slide, pull choke and pull button that locks the gas for starting. Standard L,H and Idle adjustments, Oiler adjustment and chain adjust. Nice. I put on the chain, tightened it, the screw is right next to the chain like a Husky just on the other side and pulled it up by the cord to check compression. Nice and tight.

Took it outside and mixed up the gas, filled it and the bar oil up (both use standard twist on and off knobs) and tipped it over. No leaks. Alright, does it run? Put on the choke and locked in the gas. 3 pulls and it sputtered. Cut off the choke and 3 or 4 more and it started right up. Idle seemed right so I gave it a couple of revs. Power right there with no hesitation. I idled it for a few minutes and rev'd it to top. Went up and slightly over. Looks like it was set right at the factory. I put the bar near a piece of wood to check the oiler and got some nice drops so that works.

Now, does it cut? I shut it off and went over to an old ceder stump to give it a try. It's all I have handy at the moment. One pull and it started and idled like a champ. Gassed it up and put it to wood. It cut straight and did not bog at all. I pressed it pretty hard and kept cutting full speed. I pulled it, shut it off and after a few minutes gave it pull. Started right up and idled.

Well, looks like I got an $89 saw. Seems to run fine. In fact, it runs rings around the $200 Craftsmans I bought that I've never been able to get running. How long will it last? Who knows but for the money if I get a couple of years out of it I'll consider it good. Looks about as well made as any standard homeowner grade saw. I'm thinking of taking it to my hunting camp and leaving it there for a camp saw. I'd say it's tailor made for that. They also make a smaller 45cc saw for $50 or so. Be a good one to keep in the back of a truck and if someone steals it your not out much.
    Last edited by jonp; 05-11-2016 at 07:11 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Perma-Banned

Warranty center, replacement parts...????

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Warranty center, replacement parts...????
    For $89? your kidding, right? The box also has a book in German looks like much better quality than the english so they must sell into Europe. It is a Benzin-Kettensage saw.

As for replacement parts...IDK. Probably take some looking but they must make a million of these things so I think you could find something online for it. They call it a clone saw and it looks all the world like a Husky 55 or close. sorta.

It is also this saw http://www.ebay.de/itm/Benzin-Ketten...-/261769962859 and marked Viron. Looks like they sell to a lot of companies. If that is the case then you should be able to come by parts.

Here is a youtube on the Viron Saw which is what I have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbvDjY6y9ks
    Last edited by jonp; 05-11-2016 at 07:12 PM.

Banned
    At $89 use it till it dies and toss it.

Boolit Grand Master

Good luck. Let us know how it's holding up.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    At $89 use it till it dies and toss it.
    My thought exactly. I'll leave it at camp and bring my Husky home with me.

Banned

89 bucks sounds great.
    the electric one I paid 60 bucks for made it two years just doing light yard work and some wood for the stove. [like used 3-4 times a year wood stove]
    it needs a new chain for sure but at 35-40 bucks for the chain it's easier to just buy a whole new saw.
    if you get two chains and a couple of sharpening's on them your waaay money ahead for 89 bucks.

Boolit Master
    Did you win an auction or did you "buy it now". The links are either an auction or the price with shipping is well over $100.

Boolit Grand Master

Might have to try one with free shipping. The onse with $43.00 shipping not so much.

Boolit Grand Master
    For $89, if it is used twice a year to clear limbs by a homeowner and it lasts two years; I would say it is paid for.

More occasional use saws are done in by leaving old gas in them than wear out by use.

Robert

Vendor Sponsor

When I was a kid, not that that has anything to do with this thread, but I remember getting toys and stuff that said Made In Japan on them and they were cr@p. I thought very low of Japan made goods back then, some stuff was okay, but the majority of it was junk.

That trend didn't last too long. After WWII Japan wasted no time rebuilding their infrastructure and manufacturing, and after the initial rush of cr@ppy toys things started getting better in a hurry. Then came the electronic boom, and the British invasion. They went hand in hand. Japanese made transistor radios blasting out early hits by the Beatles, Stones, etc. Next thing we know, we got these awesome stereos from Japan, by now we got Led Zep and Pink Floyd, Elvis is still alive, and it just kept getting better and better.

In 1982, Fender musical instruments entered into a joint venture with Nippon Gakki, the largest musical instrument manufacturer in Japan, and we were soon flooded with really cheap, but surprisingly well made Fender guitars that were SO GOOD, they started their own craze and values for these instruments went through the roof, even being sold on ebay as parts. Fender sent a delegation of engineers over there to take a look at the factory, and they were totally floored with the build quality of the Japan made instruments, Fender's QC had really gone down the tubes by then, and the American side of Fender had a LOT of rethinking to do, and today we are blessed with decades of exceptional instruments now, because of the Japanese standard of excellence. They set the bar VERY high, and the world was made better almost overnight because of it.

Your $89 saw sounds like it might be better than the junk they started sending over here 10yrs ago. I keep hoping the same or similar wave of precision engineering evolves in China as it did in Japan 50yrs ago.

For what it's worth, some of those incredibly cr@ppy Japan made toys are pretty trendy these days, try and buy a few when you see them.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

In Remembrance
    You got to put it together and hear it run, shoot you have already gotten your moneys worth. lol
    These, from what I have been hearing are clones, so no r&d investments. I am betting they have a super low warranty cost, as in near zero. No dealerships, no service centers. If they are like the honda engine clones, fit and finish is not up to hondas standards, probably neither is qc, but them cheap engines, from what I have been told, will take honda parts, and have been a pretty good value for the money spent.

If a guy needs a saw, but doesn't really need a saw, I can see hwere it is money well spent.

Boolit Bub
    I agree with the previous post. Some of the Chinese products are quite good. The big change has been in consumerism (for lack of the right term). We have been forced and have for the most part accepted lower cost goods which you dont repair you toss it and buy a new one. Alot of it started with electronics. Chainsaws are one of the latest examples.. Ive got a 25 year old Stihl 025 thats still going strong and an even older 028 that if something major goes wrong I'll probably have to buy another to get parts. Guns are kinda the same way there are alot of 1911s made in the Philippines being sold that are cheaper than an American made one and many are happy with them. Are they as good as an American made one? I don't know. I bought an American made one. My$0.02

Boolit Master

The Chinese products are going to have to improve in quality if they are to remain competitive with other countries. We have all seen it in the past, First the Japanese, they were the punchline for about anything that could be bought. Now their stuff is second to none and priced accordingly. Then Taiwan, lots of machine tools were made thirty years ago there and gradually their stuff got a pretty respectable reputation but they were not so hot early on. China is getting there but still have a ways to go from a quality standpoint. I read somewhere recently that China is outsourcing a lot of their manufacturing to Vietnam, cheaper labor. Still hard to beat much of the stuff made in the states, if you can find it that is.......
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    One of my other interests is in British pocket watches from around the beginning of the twentieth century, when the typical Swiss watch was a cheap and very inferior article. Then the Swiss wised up. It happened with the Japanese, and I see no reason not to expect it with the Chinese.

There certainly are rubbishy Chinese tools still, but they aren't building their ICBMs with those. There are also, on eBay particularly, who don't know much about what they have found a good deal on. But some of the products are as good as anybody's. What they know about high speed steel is that nobody is likely to commission a chemical analysis to get his $10 back. But if you are only going to machine mild steel, you can be as well equipped as anybody in the golden age of British and American gunmaking. My favourite jewellery tools man clearly knows what he is about.

Parts and support depend on having done a deal with the right sort of firm to import and service them. But I know of machine tool firms with which that works really well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I agree with the previous post. Some of the Chinese products are quite good. The big change has been in consumerism (for lack of the right term). We have been forced and have for the most part accepted lower cost goods which you dont repair you toss it and buy a new one. Alot of it started with electronics. Chainsaws are one of the latest examples.. Ive got a 25 year old Stihl 025 thats still going strong and an even older 028 that if something major goes wrong I'll probably have to buy another to get parts. Guns are kinda the same way there are alot of 1911s made in the Philippines being sold that are cheaper than an American made one and many are happy with them. Are they as good as an American made one? I don't know. I bought an American made one. My$0.02
    I can remember the 50s, when a garbage can wasn't called an ashcan for nothing, since a lot of its contents were coal fire ashes. But its contents for a family of six were no larger than my wife and I alone, abstemious people by the standard of many, produce today. It is the sheer volume of consumer goods people need or think they need, that make them vulnerable to the attraction of the cheap and discardable.

Boolit Grand Master

To answer a question by reddog81 I won an auction. There are a bunch of the same ones on their and $85 or so seems to be the price so I wouldn't at this point pay $100 or more for one.

Starmac hit it right on the head. For a homeowner like myself now who cuts a little wood once a year this saw is perfect. Why spend $500 on one that might be used once a year and sit in the garage the rest of the time? I doubt I'd buy this if I were cutting firewood or pulp but for occasional use it might last me 10yrs. A chainsaw is one of those things that is nice to have in the garage. I'd recommend the 45cc size for that and someone not used to a saw.

How will it do during serious cutting? I'll let you know. I'm taking it home on vacation and my father-in-law has several trees to drop plus I want to cut a couple of cords of wood, all maple, beech and yellow birch in addition to clearing some hemlock so we will see.

Starmac: Your right. Just firing it up, hearing the engine and smelling the smoke again was worth $89.

Banned

don't know how they compare but I bought a poulan for 89 bucks at menards a couple years ago for a spare saw for camp. At least that way if it goes bad you can just bring it back to menards. Its only a 33cci saw though. Id say it was a decent saw but to be honest I think its only been used twice to cut wood. Nobody grabs it when the big stihl is sitting there next to it. Here it is at menards http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors...49003935285119. I see its a 120 bucks now but still comparable in price to that saw and at least its from a company you can get parts from and I'm sure it goes on sale often

Boolit Master

Thank you for the write up, keep us posted how she runs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    You got to put it together and hear it run, shoot you have already gotten your moneys worth. lol
    These, from what I have been hearing are clones, so no r&d investments. I am betting they have a super low warranty cost, as in near zero. No dealerships, no service centers. If they are like the honda engine clones, fit and finish is not up to hondas standards, probably neither is qc, but them cheap engines, from what I have been told, will take honda parts, and have been a pretty good value for the money spent.

If a guy needs a saw, but doesn't really need a saw, I can see hwere it is money well spent.
    My brother is into go-kart racing up in Tennessee. He runs in a class that's for the clone motors. Swapping in a Honda piston is a common upgrade.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast