Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Outers Foul out kits discontinued Someone on here make their our or similar ?

Vendor Sponsor

Outers Foul out kits discontinued Someone on here make their our or similar ?

Ok I have up until now never needed such an animal ..
    Got in a Remington made 1918 Mosin with a rough bore ..
    Someone in their infinite wisdom cut the barrel down, added 70's ish Remington rifle sights and a homemade wooden Monte Carlo stock
    Stock now switched out to an ATI Syn stock
    The lands are fine after many swipes of bore brushes and various cleaners but there is still some stubborn buildup in the grooves..

This is the first gun that I just can't seem to get clean in the grooves

I would very much like to get this bore absolutely clean and thought of the outers system only to find out they are discontinued

Open to suggestions as I want to see this old girl shine again
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

There's a few products on today's market that will get your bore clean - myself, I use Bore Tech chemicals, specifically the CU+2, C4 Carbon cleaner and/or Eliminator. Just use a stainless steel, aluminum or non-brass jag that won't give you false positives for the presence of copper.

https://www.boretech.com/docs/chemicalguide.shtml

Boolit Master

The web is full of DIY electrolysis bore cleaners- here is one: http://www.frfrogspad.com/copclean.pdf

Another option is good old Chore Boy, copper wool of Cast Boolits fame. Wrap it around an old brush, maybe drip on a little cleaner of your choice, and have at it.

Going to pass along what I've done with a number of "sewer pipe" Mosin 91/30's..got the information from the So. Cal Mosin board...Smith and Wesson Bore Gel (comes in a foam/spray or a small squeeze bottle)..I tried the foam and it wasted too much material so went with the squeeze bottle after the first 2 or 3 rifles...also a 30 caliber stainless "tornado" brush (think it's hoppes or outers...ebay)...the gel really goes after things and can be left for a long time...no damage...then the tornado brush...lots of elbow grease...I took barrels you couldn't even see the lands and grooves and got decent servicable ones...I doubt you will ever get a shiny sharp bore on the old Mosins..they are almost all pitted and rusted and you can clean them and a week later they are dirty again...I just clean them a bit before I shoot them...then after...I don't shoot any corrosive ammo in them any more...works for me.

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks HahgfireW8 for the link .. Guess I was looking for some one on here who had made their own and could vouch for its performance
    Believe me I have scrubbed it with brushes, copper and a tornado SS Brush .. The Lands are looking great but theres still buildup in the grooves.
    I just cant get out .. never run into this before .. its just strange how its holding on ..patches do come out dirty so some is coming off
    Going to soak the barrel in kroils tonight and try again tomorrow
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    ...Going to soak the barrel in kroils tonight and try again tomorrow
    Had some leading that couldn't get out an a dripping patch of Kroils overnight x2 did the trick. Was worried there for a bit but problem solved
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

Sweets for the copper and butch's bore shine for the carbon.

Boolit Master

Sorry, I have an FO II and jugs of electrolyte, but rarely use it now that I shoot mostly cast.

It might be cupra nickle fouling. It can be removed with copper solvents, but it takes much more time.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Sweet's 7.62 will remove copper but it's really slow compared to some of the "modern day" chemicals that don't use ammonia. Bore Tech CU+2 copper remover may not be the faster copper remover on the market but it's light speed faster than Sweet's.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use Flitz to polish the barrel.
    Wrap a patch over a brush, smear it with the Flitz, run it through about 20 times. Change the patch and go again.
    I've read someplace that methyl ethyl ketone is good at removing carbon.
    Can't breathe the stuff, so need to do it outside.
    I've used Foul out II. It works OK.
    I've made my own using more volts. Worked OK.
    I've found that foul out will remove copper, but I'd have to clean the carbon off that's over the copper.
    I've taken to using Chore boy stainless with butch's bore shine, then Flitz.

Boolit Master
    walt has it
    Kroil I plug the barrel with a wood dowel and fill it full and let set a couple days in warm area. you can use a lead slug and tap it in the muzzle end too.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Thanks HahgfireW8 for the link .. Guess I was looking for some one on here who had made their own and could vouch for its performance
    I made one smoke. Cheap plastic flashlight, some wire, and two large alligator clips. The rod is just wrapped with electrical tape in three or four points to keep it from touching the barrel. Works great. The original plans I used are from surplusrifleforum.com

Boolit Master
    I've used JB's bore paste on a stubborn Mauser bore and it did a great job. Wrapped a patch around a bore brush, soaked in Kroil and applied the bore paste.
    http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...-prod1160.aspx

Boolit Buddy

I've used Shooters Choice lead remover with a fair amount of success
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Vendor Sponsor

The Cast bullet Assoc., TFS (The Fouling Shot) had a full write up on how to make one. -about 25 years ago. I have one / made one. Used it a bunch back then. I have the TFS addition stored and can locate it if needed.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

I built one as well from a cheap flashlight. It worked very well on an old spanish mauser 8x57.

One of my Enfield's was as dirty as that. Could not see rifling. So I started scrubbing with NO.9. The swabbed, still no rifling. Got out the Foul Out and ran it with copper cleaner, pulled out the rod after 4 or 5 hours and it was totally plated with copper so I cleaned of the rod then I scrubbed the bore again and got a horrendous amount of crud out of it. The I repeated with the Foul Out, then scrubbed and repeated this about 12 or 15 times, finally it was very clean, good rifling. Without the Foul Out I am not sure how long it would have taken to clean it. Getting out the copper like that helped loosen the crud so I could scrub it out.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Master
    If you are still looking for that kit, I have one I will sell. PM me if you are interested in it.

Boolit Master
    I am one of the lucky one's and I own a Foul Out, but the old method of plugging the chamber and filling the barrel with Kroil Oil and let stand for a day or two works well as the penetrating oil will get under the fouling. If it's lead fouling then a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide will dissolve the lead, but you can't leave it in a steel barrel as it is a super oxidizer and will rust and pit the barrel; stainless barrels no problem.

Boolit Grand Master

ATF and acetone , 50-50 mix , plug the barrel and fill the bore , if you don't have any Kroil on hand. Some say the ATF - acetone is a better penetrating oil than Kroil
    Long soaking times are the secrete , 24 hours minimum .
    Stay away from hydron peroxide and vinegar if you can , those will eat steel if you aren't very careful. Penetrating oils won't damage the metal .

Gary