Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1917 Revolver Horror Stories...

1917 Revolver Horror Stories...

......or maybe just entertainment. Thought you might enjoy seeing these and hearing (reading?) a bit about them:

First, a Colt 1917 as it should be:
    Attachment 167840
    The story: A customer (now about 30 years ago) asked me to obtain a 1917 Colt for his collection. It surprised me that he wasn't too interested in the cosmetic appearance, just so that it was in unmodified as-issued condition. Well, as such things go, at the time there were very few on the used gun market. I did find one that had just about zero finish remaining, an overall silver appearance, and again to my surprise he found that fully acceptable. Then he "dropped the other shoe" as so often happens, and said that he had a "cutdown 1917" that he wanted me to take in partial trade. Here it is:
    Attachment 167844
    No, it didn't look this good (?) when I got it. The barrel and the hammer were bobbed. I turned it into a round butt and fitted some rosewood grips and reblued it. Strangely, it is highly inaccurate with anything but 230 gr. hardball, which it shoots very well.

Next: A Smith & Wesson 1917 as it should look:
    Attachment 167845
    Actually, this one is post WW I, 1920s vintage. Same thing. So when I was in gunsmithing school a fellow student expressed his desire to own a Ruger Mini-14, and carried on at length about how none were to be had. As I had a couple I offered to sell him one. When home from the school for a couple of weeks break I shipped it to him, and when I got back to the school he couldn't praise it highly enough. The only immediate problem seemed to be that he was short of cash (probably a pre-existing problem!) and offered me a modified S&W 1917 in trade. So the story went, his uncle had put in a career as a Brinks Armored Truck Guard and this had been his duty revolver. At the time I wasn't hot to make the trade, but it seemed like the best way out.
    Attachment 167846
    I replaced the grips with these Pachmayrs and reblued it. Now, like Paul Harvey used to say, "The rest of the story". About 10 years after "the deal" I found myself working in the armored truck industry, usually as a driver. Although the sidearm of popular choice seemed to be the Glock it occurred to me that should I have to fire out of one of the truck's portholes the slide might rub on the sides of the hole and cause a jam. Then I remembered this modified 1917 and began to consider the utility of it. Big caliber, rapid reload, no slide, very accurate. I carried it with no complaints for most of 10 years (not exclusively, but much of the time) and at every annual qualification event enjoyed having the qualification/training officer place me at the extreme left end of the firing line as being the only one shooting a revolver. Why? So I wouldn't get hit with the hot brass being ejected from the Glocks, and because I was to be allowed and additional 15 seconds for reloads in the discharging of 15 rounds. When I finished there were usually two or three "Glock guys" still finishing up their remaining rounds and I had fired 18. The questionable deal of 10 years earlier turned out to have been a very good one, and this remains just about my favorite revolver.

I'm hoping that you'll put the bricks and bats back down before jumping on me about altering historic artifacts. Both had been "chopped" before I got them, and I only made them better. What's in your gun safe?

Boolit Master

I like the chopped Smith.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I think chopped '17s make ideal quail hunting sidearms. Loaded with cylinder length shot loads, they're good for popping running birds and snakes. And they just look like something a South Texas brush cowboy ought to carry when without his SAA.

Here is my Colt 1917, all original except for replacement grips. If you like chopped Smiths here is my 1955 Target Model with a 4" bbl.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Here is a much modified Colt 1917 that is now a .22LR. The chambers have been sleeved, cylinder shortened, hammer nose replaced, rebarreled, and sights installed. The front sight is elevation adjustable. I bought it because I am a sucker for abused orphans such as this, and for the Sanderson grips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0545.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	167862

Boolit Master

Nice one Char.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

My horror story has nothing to do with modifications. In 1963 I bought a S&W 1917 for about $35. I didn't shoot it much. Took it with me when I worked a summer job in Nebraska. Traded it for a Remington Rand 1911 that had been refinished from the original parkerizing. Sold it for $50 when I graduated from college because I couldn't afford ammunition. I've regretted both even though there was no way I could have ended up with both.
    John
    W.TN

I once had S&W 1917 that I really liked, so did my friend. He kept asking me to sell it, flashing money at me every time we went to the range. He wanted it bad, and one day in a weak moment I sold it to him. BIG MISTAKE. This happened about 25 years ago, I tried many times to get it back but it was not to be. In time my friend developed Alzheimer's and did not recognize me or anyone anymore and a few years after that he died. One of his sons now has my 1917.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Master

1917 Revolvers

That's a sad story Paul. I hope that you find a replacement 1917 soon.

No horror story on my part. I have kept and shot my 1917s for quite a few years. They still shoot well yet are only a year or two from the century mark. The photo below is something like 40 shots off hand at 15 yards. Back in the day I shot a bit better.

My 1917s. I'll pass them down to my son when the time comes.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 05-10-2016 at 02:45 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I like the 1917 and short barrels, preferring mine to be 4" so to fit the holsters I already have on hand.

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	167883

Here are a couple of mine and a shot with my favorite holsters.

Name:	017.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	167884

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

My 1917 "horror story" is more about righting an old wrong. My great grandpa was in the thick of things at the Meuse-Argonne, and when my dad was a little kid, the Smith 1917 with the blown up barrel was "Grandpa's war pistol". No, we don't know how the barrel got blown up, but from the things G.G.P. did talk about, I got the impression he saw a lot of really nasty stuff that he didn't talk about. I think the family generally thought it was better not to ask. At any rate, there was some understanding that my dad was supposed to get the thing, but G.G.P. died when dad was still pretty young. As far as anyone knows G.G.M. consigned it to the local landfill, never to be seen again.

Fast forward to about 2003. I'm a counter drone at the local gun shop and a middle aged couple brings in departed dad's sizable collection, including an FN 1910/22 and a Smith 1917 with an INTACT barrel. The job did have some perks. A double "yoink" later, my dad finally got his revolver.

I've made my peace with altered guns of that period. It's not the kind of thing I'd condone anyone doing today (no reason to, with all the various options), and they're kind of fascinating as they show the various individual owner's ways of getting what they wanted in the days of more limited factory options or limited cashflow. My recent weakness is 1914/17 Enfield rifle actions that have already been chopped - how can you say no to one of the burliest military actions ever - especially when they can be had for about the same price as one of today's entry-level robot-builds?

DuaneH's .22 Colt in post #5. . .that thing is SLICK!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

You fellows have some nice handguns! Nice target, Scharf! You are certainly deserving of your awards. Do you recall what ammo you were shooting? The ragged edge holes make me think hardball. Char Gar--nice, but a 1950 target with adjustable sights and custom grips is a definite step up from a 1917! DuaneH-that is an amazing conversion. I've never seen one before. I would think that because of the size and weight it must be very accurate. StrawHat, did you buy yours that way or convert them yourself? The one in the holster looks like it might be a Brazilian from the seal visible on the side. Very attractive holster. Bigslug-I do like1917 Enfields also. Like you, I would not chop one myself. I just happen to have a couple out of storage right now that I'll photograph and post. Like you, I can't pass up a good buy on one, and have a Winchester with a chopped barrel and a fancy walnut stock waiting to come together as a great sporter. I've procrastinated for a long time on doing the job because the original stock is such nice light colored honest walnut wood that I can't see it just kicking around in the corner of my already cluttered shop. Anyway, thanks guys for your contribution to the thread. There are some amazing guns out there.

Boolit Master
    A blown up barrel, without blowing up some of the rest, would almost certainly be a substantial bore obstruction - either a lodged bullet or after plunging into the earth in the heat of action. It might still have got your great grandfather a lot of good decades of life.

I've resisted the temptation to do anything non-original with my pretty beaten-up straight-pull Navy Lee, but it would take a pretty good original condition to stop me doing it with something common. I imagine a rough SMLE turning into the sort of Lee-Speed sporting rifle that were made in small numbers, and I think Mr. Lee and Mr. Speed would be gratified to see it. I've done it with a P14 Enfield which was externally rough and would just about get useful hunting accuracy with some jacketed bullets, but not others.

It seems a great pity to see an M1917 with the hammer bobbed - although while not as good as a 1950 target model, it would have a better double action pull than many more recent versions. It can be fixed with the original hammer, if the perpetrator hasn't been tidy enough minded to remove the double action sear and the part of the hammer it fits onto. Here is a hammer I silver soldered for my Belgian Spirlet, probably saving it from being parted out for its ivory grips. You need to pin it, to stay in place during rehardening, but the spur can be made from steel you can still checker after that.

Attachment 167894

Moderator Emeritus

I picked up one at a gunshow about 6 years ago...I had the table, the seller was just walking around with it...since lots of other vendors didn't buy it before me, I suspect I paid too high a price at that time...700. It was in real nice shape, with a little blue flaking on the side not shown, rifling in the barrel looked pretty good.

I did like shooting it, but last year, when I made the big decision to sell most of my gun collection (which was just too large for me to manage), the 1917 didn't make the short list of guns I really wanted to keep. But it almost made the list...it was between a 625 and the 1917...I figured I only needed one 45acp revolver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Attached are the pics of a 1917 i recently picked up. It looks like it was made within a few days of the one JonB_in_Glencoe just posted. The trigger had a crack in it where the hand attaches, but thankfully the seller also had an extra trigger and hammer available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60638.jpg   60638 1917.jpg  

Dang it! Now I HAVE to find a 1917.
    Seriously some real fine shootin' irons here.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Grand Master
    All I can say is the people that had 1917's snub nosed must have had awful big pockets. I can see cutting the barrel to 3˝ or 4 inches, but not shorter.

I regret not buying the Brazilian contract gun I saw in San Diego for $235, with ivory grips no less.

Robert

BIS-pretty neat! Nice workmanship. Well, the bobbed hammer 1917 was an idea that was fashionable during a certain time period that dictated removing anything that could snag on clothing when drawing the weapon. I just decided to leave it as-is, but a replacement hammer could probably be found. Best explanation I can give--some concepts are just kind of nebulous.

DG

Wow! Considering the type and history of these revolvers, those notches on the grips are probably significant--something other than ground squirrels. I can understand your choice though, Jon--those 625s just about have it all. I've got the 4" Mountain Gun stainless version.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    All I can say is the people that had 1917's snub nosed must have had awful big pockets. I can see cutting the barrel to 3˝ or 4 inches, but not shorter.

I regret not buying the Brazilian contract gun I saw in San Diego for $235, with ivory grips no less.

Robert
    Robert--I can share in your agony. An incredible deal missed!

DG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast