Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making Jacketed Hollow Point .45 acp Bullets Using A Lee .243 Sizing And .40 S&W Bras

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick459 View Post
    thanks EMC45,
    i hope this post helps those here that want to try swageing but don"t have a big budget to do so. my little contribution to the castboolit members here.
    Rick
    You are most definitely are assisting me! I am slowly on my way for 9mm and 357 HPs. I had a bit of O1 (small scrap) and turned that into my nut to hold the punch and it looks good. Next I used a second scrap and a punch was made. I will probably make another as my cuts could have been a bit better but the punch does sit nicely in the press and does not wander. My first attempt at a punch looks promising but I absolutely guessed at measurements and was short. My fault. I liked how you added a shoulder on the punch and I will keep this in mind. What degree did you cut the HP on the punch? I messed around with different cuts and settled on 10 degrees and was wondering if this is close to yours. Again, thanks for sharing this thread and I can say you have assisted at least one person.

plus 1hdcp,
    i have no idea what angle the puch is as i just used a file and filed it til it looked big and deep enough. the punch was made from one of the rollers from an old printer. pretty hard metal. will try to get some photo"s of the punch so you can see what i mean. what surprises me is that with a sizing die that i had sitting around for more than twenty years some range brass and cores cast from a .38 special mould i am making some pretty decent .45acp HP"s. i am glad that i have been able to help you in your project.
    Rick

plus1hdcp,
    here is a photo of the punch with the shoulder i cut into it. should help you making your"s. also a phot of the target i shot today at 20 yards. so i will be making more of these fo HD. good luck with your"s. any questions call me.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate the photo, it will help. It will be a couple of days till I can get back into the shop if I am not there tomorrow. I will keep you updated on my progress. I will also try to add some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick459 View Post
    plus1hdcp,
    here is a photo of the punch with the shoulder i cut into it. should help you making your"s. also a phot of the target i shot today at 20 yards. so i will be making more of these fo HD. good luck with your"s. any questions call me.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Rick,

Here is where my project currently stands with some pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	170479
    I have a functional hollow point swage forming die. I made a second HP pin which is the one on the top.

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	170480
    I added a shoulder, increased the length of the pin and decreased the taper angel of the HP. Here is the problem, I believe my HP taper needs to increase as should make removal from the pin easier. My samples have been made using swage lube on the pin itself and they are still sticking. My next attempt will increase the taper angle and perhaps decrease the taper depth.

This is a picture of the taper pin centering nut for the die itself

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	170482
    and the punch

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	170481
    and what it looks half way assembled

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	170483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	170484
    I am well on my way, just need to work out the sticking issue then refine the HP details. This is fun and again, I thank you for your inspiration.

I also may copy this reply to start a different thread as I refine my journey.

that"s some pretty good machine work plus1.that"s a nice looking stop collar. yes if you increase the angle of the punch that should solve the sticking problem. nice work.
    Rick

Boolit Mold
    Not to hijack this thread; which I think is awesome but instead of using the .40 brass could I use a jacket cup (.45 x .540) and have the same effect. I don't mind buying the bullet jackets as I buy them in bulk. I haven't gotten around to purchasing a set of dies for my Corbin hydro-press to make .45s but it is the next caliber I intend to try. I like the idea of using the .243 die to make them. I have the adapter for the Hydro-press to take the 5/8 dies.

pencil where are you buying the jaket cups from?

Boolit Mold
    I buy them from the Corbin brothers, just depends on which size I need and who has the best deals. I am toying with the idea of investing in the equipment to make my own bullet jackets. I have been Swaging now for about three years so alot to learn still. I can currently make .40, .44, and .338s. I am ready to move into 9mm and .45. I also make ALOT of lead wire

thanks pencil...

Boolit Buddy

Rick how do you keep everything lined up in the Hornady blank die? I played with a few tonight and I had to hold them into the die and then pull them out.

Quote Originally Posted by guywitha3006 View Post
    Rick how do you keep everything lined up in the Hornady blank die? I played with a few tonight and I had to hold them into the die and then pull them out.
    I use one of the lee push thru sizing die posts that fit in the shellholder on the ram. I set the case/bullet jacket with the lead core in it on that lee base and run it up slowly. They self center and put the xtp notches in the case/jacket. The hornady blank forming die has a hole in the center of it. I use a piece of wire coathanger to knock the bullet out after the notches have been formed in it.

so here are my first expansion water test with my home made HP bullets. shooting was done into 5 gallon water bucket. as you can see in the photos that the bullet did mushroom well until it pentrated the bottom of the bucket and smashed one side of the jacket. what amazed me is that this core was a mixture of linotype and wheel weights and yet it expanded well. my next water test will be with pure lead cores.

ok so I wanted to see if I could turn the Hollow point lead bullets in to Hollow points with a Hollow base. so I made a new base punch and this is what I came up with.as can be seen in the photos this process removes the lube groove which should make it a good candidate for powder coating. they come out of the die at .452 diameter. will load some up for the range next week. HTH.
    RickAttachment 196747Attachment 196748Attachment 196749

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Great to see you still at it Rick

now that i am retired i have more projects than i have time for. but that"s ok Only the Rock"s Live Forever.
    Rick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123