RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best All Around Chainsaw Size

Boolit Master
    I saw an ad on TV a couple days ago for $20 off that little cheap Stihl which would put it at about $160. I am thinking that, while the bigger saw with more horsepower is great for the big projects, that little saw (same as I used to have) came in mighty handy at times after storms and didn't take up much space in the truck. Nothing wrong with having the right tool for the job. Can't have just one gun either.

32 years in the Fire Service and Sthil's are the rule pretty much across the country with the 036 being the most popular.Put a bullet chain on one and cut through any type of roofing material,metal doors. 90% of the time fire up with a single pull on a well maintained saw.I use a Stihl 032 at home and have very nice 50cc 20" Solo that is the finest chainsaw I have ever used.

Banned
    Another Stihl fan here.
    I don't cut as much as I did in the past but I've been impressed with the Stihl models. The Stihl MS290 has been discontinued but it's a great saw. 18" bar and a sharp semi-chisel chain will get the job done. The 290 has a 56 cc engine and the 291 is close (55 ? )
    I ran a 026 for many years and even with the slightly smaller engine it performed well. Ethanol gasoline killed it before it was worn out, otherwise I'd still have it.

I agree, 50-55 cc and a 18 bar will do a lot. They are sort of the 4" S&W model 65's of chain saws.

i spent over 20 years cutting logs here in Oregon with stihl and husky power saws... they were all over 100cc and we would get them ported & polished and run them on airplane gas... fun times never to come again......inexpensive small motors from Echo are worth a look for a wood saw...

Boolit Master

My 25+ year old Stihl 036 with an 18 inch bar still working great! At 64 years old and severe arthritis I hate the thing but the 28 year old son has no problem with it.

We do not burn wood for heat but sell wood from the stand and make a lot from it. We sell for the weekenders and romantics at about $6.99 per 3/4 square foot. [note: that's $800 plus per cord] Cheaper than the supermarket and convenience stores in the state.

Boolit Master
    Husky 365 and 372xp are my favorites of all my saws. Plenty of power with any bar length and not terrible on fuel
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Hard to argue with labradigger...I do love the 372xp (at work). However...for a home saw, I think something in the 60cc range is perfect, for me. I bought a Husky 359 (no longer made) several years ago, as I was a few bills short of affording the 372 at the time. Put an aftermarket carb on in, opened up the muffler a bit, and it has served me well. Light enough to limb with and saw small stuff all day, but also enough hp to fell bigger wood. We heat with wood...so it gets a workout, year-round. I've been impressed.....particularly for a landowner grade saw in the $5bill range.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Thought I would revisit this thread as I am about to add a saw to my fleet. We moved to a new place where the trees are bigger and more numerous. My Echo CS-400 will handle anything I throw at it but it really gets overmatched by logs above 12", especially the really hard stuff like Hedgeapple. I'm a cheapskate and have been keeping an eye on pawn shops and Fleabay for awhile. I'm an Echo guy but their bigger late model saws just don't come around very often and I'm really not in the mood to fool with one 30+ years old. Same for the good old American saws like the Homelite Super XL and Mac 10-10, I have too many project machines already and want something newer with a minimum of fuss.

Larger Stihl and Husky saws usually go for more than I want to spend and too often they are tired ex-tree service machines. Hey, I'm a cheapskate and proud of it, it's the biggest reason I reload and cast! Found a German made Dolmar 5105 made in 2011 in nice shape on Fleabay for $230.00 buy it now. Made a deal for $190.00+shipping and it's due to be delivered today. I'm pretty stoked about it. The 5105 is a true pro line saw, competitive with the Stihl 260/261 and Husky 346/550. It has 50cc and rated at 3.9 HP, many people report that it is actually stronger in stock form than it's competitors. The saw has a 20" bar and fairly new looking chain. I hope it's set up for 3/8 pitch but if not then no big deal.

From what I have read, Dolmar invented the gas powered chainsaw back in 1927 whereas Stihl invented the electric chainsaw the year before. There are a few nice Dolmar 50cc saws on Fleabay right now priced around $250.00. Dolmar doesn't have nearly the name recognition as Stihl and Husky so there isn't much competition among buyers. I'm glad, because an equivalent saw from one of those marques in good condition would be over $400.00 easily. Will report on how it does, there is a fallen limb next to my driveway waiting for it!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I almost pulled the trigger on a sachs dolmar i saw on ebay a few months ago. Id looked at them a number of years ago at a dealer up north and was impressed but you dont see many around.
    I ended up with the chinese saw for kicks and so far it runs fine. Im thinking of taking it to my hunting camp and leaving it in the shed. If its stolen im out $90.
    Ill probably end up with another jonsered but a husky or stihl would be fine. Pro models bought in a saw shop or online not the box store variety
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Location determines bar length and bar length determines saw size. In MT even on the dry side a 28" bar is minimal for a cutting saw, 16" for a trimmer.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    I used my dads stihl until it was wore out got a husky about 20 years ago still using it don't cut a lot of firewood just cleaning out around the boat house and keeping the cabbage palms out of the boat slip edges.

I've got a Dolmar 5100s, old version of the 5105. They are a lot stronger than most competing saws, then with a little port work they really scream! I've got a 16" and 20" bar in 3/8" pitch on mine, cuts Oak and Hedge just find!
    If you are looking for a steal of a deal get in good with the Home Depot rental guys and find out when they'll be selling their used rental saws. Yes, they will be used and abused, but they can be bought cheap then for around $100 you can buy an after market big bore cylinder and piston kit. Not hard to do, I promise, and you can do a little port work and open up the muffler to get even more out of it!

I don't doubt it at all. The only supertune I'm planning for it is to eventually put the non-catalyst 5100 muffler on it. Not so much for extra performance as longevity, the cat creates alot of extra heat right next to the cylinder. I'm also going to remove the carb adjustment limiters so it can be tuned properly.

Obligatory Fleabay pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	198079
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    +1 on the farmboss. Great all around saw for the money. Next step up was a big step into a professional line unit

Boolit Master

I spend the extra money for the premixed ethanol free fuel. Makes my little saw act like it is a much bigger saw than it is, and turns my 64cc husky into a beast.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    I have an old pioneer p41,
    Still 014
    Husky 51
    Husky 365
    Husky 365sp
    Husky 372xp
    9 out of 10 times I grab the 365's. Good power to weight ratio and not as hard on fuel as the 372.
    62-66 cc's seem to be my all around sweet spot.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

My Stihl 026 with 20" bar has never failed and still going strong after 27 years.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

The Little Brown Santa Claus dropped off the 5105 today and I unpacked it and checked all the essentials. It has a Dolmar bar and a fairly aggressive 3/8" pitch Carlton chain with a lot of life left, unfortunately dull as dull can be so I will have to sharpen it before I can test drive for real. Unfortunately, the carb adjustment screws are glued in place pretty firmly, I'll have to get creative about fixing that. Pulled the plug and it looks like it has been running a little rich if anything so mebbe I don't need to worry about that right now. The air filter has a bit of dust on it, nothing major. Not a lot of dust in all the books and crannies either. Overall I don't think the saw has been used a whole lot.

Filled up the gas and oil and she fired up no problem. This saw sounds and feels like my Echo CS-400 after spending some time at the gym, a good thing I think. It wants to rev to the moon when you squeeze the trigger, which I have read is the norm for Dolmars. Hopefully I can get it sharpened and put it in some wood soon. Here it is on my Ford Ranger after getting unpacked:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	198089

Banned

I'm a stihl fan through and through but we have a sachs dolamar at camp. I got it free at work when we switched over to all stihl saws. It was carried in a meter truck for storm work and was about like new. 20 years later that saw still is running great. Everyone at camp uses it and some barely know how to start a saw. Its done most of the firewood cutting for camp for that 20 years. That thing is a real powerhouse compared to the newer saws ive used. A bit heavy but it sure has a REAL motor.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a husquvarna 450 and that has been great saw. Plenty of power for any task I have thron at it. It really but it to work the last two years. I be 5 dump truck loads of wood delivered from a tree trimming outfit. This was all the big butt logs that no one else wanted because they were too big. I had to make 2-3 cuts to get through most of it. Year before that I cut up a huge ash and hickory. Those two trees provided an entire years worth of fire wood. I like my saw.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast