RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best All Around Chainsaw Size

Boolit Grand Master

Best All Around Chainsaw Size

I've always thought that a 50-55cc saw was the best for the majority of users. Small enough to handle but big enough to cut most of what the non-professional would take on. Something like a Jonsered 2253 or Husky 346xp/55. I keep a smaller 41cc on hand for limbing and stuff but when I moved south I figured I would not be cutting much wood anymore so gave my Jonsered 2253 to a friend to use. He took that to mean "give" and sold it to someone else. I've been looking at several used saws and on a whim just bought a Chinese 50CC brand new for $89. Yeah, I expect to get an $89 saw but its just an experiment.

Anyways, I'm looking at ebay and see a bunch of saws. What size does eveyone think would be about right for the average person? I have experience cutting pulp and firewood so I'm looking at a professional model that runs a little faster. 50cc class? 60cc? Just wondering on size not specific brand but everyone can chime in with their favorite saw if they want. I know I don't need or want a saw on the order of a Stihl MS 880 although I might use it for a portable sawmill at some point on occasion.
    Last edited by jonp; 05-08-2016 at 02:36 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

The Stihl Farm Boss has suited me fine so I would say you are correct in the 50cc class being a good average saw.

"Good enough for my Great,Great,Great Grumpa…Good enough for me! Stihl runs on Whale Oil…"

Attachment 167759
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I have 2 Stihl 029 Farmboss saws that I use around the house for everyday use. When my father in law was living, I helped out with logging sometimes. The smallest saw we used was a 036 the biggest was a 088. He considered the 036 to be the smallest saw usable for heavy cutting, I was cutting pulp wood with my old Husky 55 and he was impressed with it. I know a lot of pulpwood cutters that wouldn't use anything but a Husky 55, I think it was mainly due to how cheap they where and their power to weight ratio.

Boolit Buddy
    50-55cc is just right for an "in between" saw.

Stihl 261 or 291. 261 is much better built and a true pro saw. Husky 545 or 550XP. If you are looking for pro-owned, the Husky 353 is a great value. Sadly, no longer made. I have had one for 10+ years and it still runs great. Plenty of power and light. Gets things done that don't require a "big" saw.

We run 4 basic saw sizes. Climbing saws (toppers) in the 35-40cc range, small ground saw/big climbing saw in the 50-55cc range, ground saws in the 75-80cc range, and BIG saws 90cc+.

Boolit Master
    I always wanted the pro saw ms260. I have farm bosses in ms310 and ms390 and they are good saws though the 390 is on the heavy side and hard to start.

Boolit Master

I have an Echo with a 20" bar but still would rather have a Farm Boss 029 for my use.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Buddy

Good advice here jonp, I have several stihls, love em all. And what left over whale oil I have I just burn in my lamps.

Boolit Bub
    20 inch Echo has been the perfect all purpose saw for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I have a small 16" blade Stihl that's been very good to me. Here in the south, we have some really big trees that occasionally need to be cut. Having too small a saw makes that a lot more difficult, and even more dangerous. I helped a farmer friend cut a huge cherry tree once that was nearly 4' dia. at chest height. THAT was a ticklish job! Luckily, he had a bow chain saw, and knew his way around a saw and a tree. I got the stump, thinking to make some great stocks out of it, but the pressure was too great and it checked so bad it nearly turned to dust! I've long rued not knowing better how to have handled that great piece of wood.

Many people get seriously hurt and maimed each year by chain saws, and I've been around enough loggers that I've learned a great respect for chain saws. Every logger you ever talk to will have multiple stories where ONLY their knowledge and foresight kept them from being seriously injured or killed by them, so I give them a lot of respect, and use mine gingerly or not at all. You really have to know when to cut from the top down or the bottom upwards, for one thing. How you stand when using it can make or break your "luck," also. Skill with a chain saw is mostly gotten through experience, but even then, it takes a powerful lot of good advice, and the memory to apply it, to stay safe when using one, so whatever you get, learn to use it BEFORE you crank it up the first time, and if you know any loggers, or can find one willing to instruct you and teach you safety with it, you'll be VERY wise to heed what they tell you.

Other than that, from what I've seen as a non-professional user, it's longevity of use that makeus the biggest difference. My Stihl is over 30 years old and still going strong, though it now needs some parts replaced.

As the chief said on Hill St. Blues, "Be careful out there" whatever you choose. In my neck of the woods, McCulloughs have been very popular, and I paid a little more for my Stihl, but it's sure been a good one with regard to longevity. The pros tend to like Husquavarnas, primarily, but some have other preferences. Eventually, it gets to be a Ford/Chevy type thing, but Stihl, 30 years ago, had the best reputation for longevity, and I've cut some pretty big trees with mine. None as big as that old cherry cited above, but not too far from it, eihter. Just be VERY careful with it and LEARN how to use it safely. That blade cuts whatever it touches instantly. AND keep the teeth sharp.

Boolit Master
    I have a 2 year old Stihl Farm Boss and it just made short work (cutting anyway) of a 30" downed Douglas fir but I had one of the small Stihl's (the $179 model) for years and it was excellent as well on trees up to 20". I had heard those small Stihl's were only designed to last 50 hours but I got a lot more than that. The little one with that short bar actually cut up the big red cedar (36") that I had custom milled into full dimension lumber to build the decks around the house.

Boolit Man
    You couldn't buy my Stihl 361 from me at double the price I paid for it.
    Well over ten years of use and not a single problem.

Very stout saw with enough weight that it doesn't shake you to death.

Best saw I've ever handled by a long shot.

Boolit Master
    When I was looking last year asked the same question as I needed a bigger saw. Ended up buying a Stihl 441 C M with a 25 inch bar. Little more money than I wanted to spend but we have a pretty big dealer in town with some people dedicated to servicing what they sell. The saw has electronic ignition and no choke. Blown away by how easy it is to start. One short pull with my weak arm and it fires right up and idles smoothly. Even after it sits for a month or two it always starts by the 2nd pull. This thing will rip through a 18-20 inch log so fast it will make your head spin. Well worth what it cost.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    "Good enough for my Great,Great,Great Grumpa…Good enough for me! Stihl runs on Whale Oil…"

Attachment 167759
    That looks very similar to the gear reduction David Bradley that I first used when we started burning wood in the mid seventies. After one winter of using the old behemoth, Dad went to Sears and bought a 14" rebadged Echo. Good little saw.

When Dad started logging he used a Husqvarna 61, which I still have; but it is a little bit large for cutting up windblown limbs, plus the oil pump quit working. I have a new Husky 345 40cc that does most of my required work along with a 455 Rancher that I bought (cheaply) at an auction.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

You'll get as much opinion on here about saw brands as Ford v. Chevy.

I agree the 50cc saws are a good all around saw. It just depends on how much you want to spend. The homeowner vs pro grade saws are very different.

If you're looking to spend under $100, well, I really can't suggest anything. Chainsaws are one of those things that you get what you pay for.

if looking for a homeowner grade saw, I'd recommend Stihl, Husky, Echo in no particular order. Pro saws are Stihl or Husky.

Boolit Buddy
    i used to make my living with a saw. i have run husky and stihl, but hands down i prefer the stihl.
    but, the farm boss 029, is not a good saw from my experience. i never owned one, but people i knew did and i used them on occassion.
    the 036, or 361 is the smallest saw i use, i had an 026 but i gave it to a buddy. my 036 is power ported and will run with much larger unmodified saws, but is still light enough to carry and cut all day.

all of my saws are older versions that i can tune the carbs, even when its a newer saw, i change the carb out to an older fully adjustable model. makes a huge difference being able to tune it.

Boolit Master

The 026 is a nice limbing saw. If you can find a pro grab it. I think a 36 would be perfect for me now. The 44 can handle alot and ain't to bad for limbing and has plenty of power. My 66 needs to go after leaving Oregon. Too much saw.

Banned

I'm with blackwater. I have a couple big stihls and also have a small one with a 16 inch bar. It is usually the one I grap. Its with me in the jeep when I need to cut a tree across the road. Its with me at camp when I find some downed trees to make firewood for camp with. Would I want it to go out and cut for a living again? NOPE but it works great for 75 percent of what I want a saw for and in a pinch would work for a 100 percent of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    I have a small 16" blade Stihl that's been very good to me. Here in the south, we have some really big trees that occasionally need to be cut. Having too small a saw makes that a lot more difficult, and even more dangerous. I helped a farmer friend cut a huge cherry tree once that was nearly 4' dia. at chest height. THAT was a ticklish job! Luckily, he had a bow chain saw, and knew his way around a saw and a tree. I got the stump, thinking to make some great stocks out of it, but the pressure was too great and it checked so bad it nearly turned to dust! I've long rued not knowing better how to have handled that great piece of wood.

Many people get seriously hurt and maimed each year by chain saws, and I've been around enough loggers that I've learned a great respect for chain saws. Every logger you ever talk to will have multiple stories where ONLY their knowledge and foresight kept them from being seriously injured or killed by them, so I give them a lot of respect, and use mine gingerly or not at all. You really have to know when to cut from the top down or the bottom upwards, for one thing. How you stand when using it can make or break your "luck," also. Skill with a chain saw is mostly gotten through experience, but even then, it takes a powerful lot of good advice, and the memory to apply it, to stay safe when using one, so whatever you get, learn to use it BEFORE you crank it up the first time, and if you know any loggers, or can find one willing to instruct you and teach you safety with it, you'll be VERY wise to heed what they tell you.

Other than that, from what I've seen as a non-professional user, it's longevity of use that makeus the biggest difference. My Stihl is over 30 years old and still going strong, though it now needs some parts replaced.

As the chief said on Hill St. Blues, "Be careful out there" whatever you choose. In my neck of the woods, McCulloughs have been very popular, and I paid a little more for my Stihl, but it's sure been a good one with regard to longevity. The pros tend to like Husquavarnas, primarily, but some have other preferences. Eventually, it gets to be a Ford/Chevy type thing, but Stihl, 30 years ago, had the best reputation for longevity, and I've cut some pretty big trees with mine. None as big as that old cherry cited above, but not too far from it, eihter. Just be VERY careful with it and LEARN how to use it safely. That blade cuts whatever it touches instantly. AND keep the teeth sharp.

Moderator Emeritus

I suppose 50cc would be OK.

I cut firewood mostly just for myself, and I wouldn't be without my Stihl MS360 Pro (61.5cc).
    here is a photo of what was left from a large (standing dead) white Oak...cutting old dried out Oak can be tough, but that Stihl with 20" bar got it done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I've found the perfect saw is whichever my son feels like using! But yeah, can't beat a Stihl.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast