RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Have Any Of You Guys Tried This

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."

Have Any Of You Guys Tried This

I'm gearing up to buy my first 6.5 bullet mold but most are higher priced than I'm wanting to pay right now. I have come across several 6mm and 25 caliber molds that are well within my budget so, I'm wondering if it's even worth it to use a smaller diameter cast bullet and then patching it up to the very slightly larger diameter 6.5mm?

If need be, I can size either the 6mm or the .25 caliber bullets down enough to get the wrapping to bring it up to size but, I'm wondering if any of you guys have done this with this particular bullet diameter?

HollowPoint

The size of your cast needs to be a bit larger than the lands on the rifle for it to have any accuracy.

I have paper patched 25 cal bullets to shoot in my 6.5mm rifles. They are the right size already, so it's easy to do. It's fun to turn my 6.5 TCU into a 25-20 by doing this.

However...most 25 cal. bullets are way shorter than most 6.5mm bullets. The very fast twist rate in most 6.5mm barrels would like bullets that are quite long. Therefore, I have never seen accuracy by doing this on a level of what I could achieve by sizing down and PP'ing back up real 6.5mm bullets. Actually, other than my M96 Mauser, I have not been impressed by the results of PP'ing bullets for 6.5mm rifles at all. But for some reason, that Mauser shoots like a champ at full ball ammo specs with the Lee cruise missile after it's patched. Go figure.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    OK; thanks guys. I'll just keep saving up until I can get the right sized bullet mold. I'm just now starting to do any real research into which mold is the most popular or forgiving for the 6.5 Swedish cartridge. (shot out of my re-chambered K31 Swiss) I'm reluctant to ask for advise because every rifle is different and every shooter has their own experience or preference.

If I'm shooting the heavier cast bullets like those 140 and up at the 1500-1600 fps range, my one in eight twist barrel should be more than enough to stabilize them. It's just a matter of picking one and hoping that someone has it in stock when I'm ready to buy.

Midway has some but I was hoping to get one of the NOE offerings but, they seem to be out of their more popular 6.5 molds.

HollowPoint

Boolit Buddy
    You are tracking that Midway has the 6.5mm Swedish 170 grain made by Lee in their Special Molds section for $18.94 and in stock, correct?

Boolit Master
    I have used a 270 (.277 dia) cast bullet patched up to .286/287 dia. with some success. I managed to kill one deer with it. It was a crop raiding doe at about 80 yards. I could never get groups under 2 1/2" with it, but that doe was very unlucky. I would never say don't try some thing. You never know what YOU will learn. Paper thickness may change your results.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blpenn66502 View Post
    You are tracking that Midway has the 6.5mm Swedish 170 grain made by Lee in their Special Molds section for $18.94 and in stock, correct?

That's a mold I could take a look at but I can't seem to find any such thing on midway. Even the LeePrecision website doesn't seem to list it. I was kind of hoping for something within the 140 to 160 grain range in a gas check design.

HollowPoint

Boolit Man

Hollow Point,

Try Mid-South Shooter's Supply, not Midway. Mid-South has a "Special Order Mold" merchandise category, in which you'll find the inexpensive Lee "Cruise Missile" 6.5 mm mold, along with other "semi-custom" Lee offerings.

If you're an 8mm shooter, check out the Mid-South "Karabiner" and "Maximum" special-order mold designs; both drop heavy 8mm bullets that have interesting potential as hunting fodder for whitetail and larger stuff. They're also "patchable" for the 8x56mm Mannlicher '95.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, sorry, midsouth, not midway

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk