Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: swedish mauser incident at the range yesterday

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by hardy View Post
    Hey DougGuy ,I,ve read your post a few times and am confused.17 grains of 4759 is 1.6 cc.s or thereabouts so 1,9 cc,s of COW is being used to fill the case,and that ratio is trouble looking for an outlet!Apologies if I missed your point but those(my) figures are way out of line.I personally use grits in nothing smaller than 7mm and then only after care working up my loads with slower powders and hence less volume of filler. Be safe,Cheers,Mike
    Actually I should have clarified that I was just using the volumetric figure I used as an example, and it should have been noted that the figure used does not accurately reflect actual volume of powder, I was just using those figures to show an example of how the reduction of the dynamic volume could be figured out before the load is assembled.

Grits, COW, any solid used as a filler will reduce case volume, so yes you approached it in the correct manner afaict.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    DougGuy,Gotcha loud and clear.Cheers,Mike

Boolit Buddy
    I have never understood the using of COW as a filler. I do use 1/4 sheet of TP in my 30-06 when using Red Dot. All it's for is to keep the powder at the flash hole. If I was blowing out case's, I just load a mild enough load to get the job done.

Boolit Grand Master

I use alot of 4759 and and have found no need for a filler with it. I do use COW in fireforming cases with no projectile in bottlenecked cases. I use polyfil in some cases as a filler but one has to back the powder charge down and work back up when adding a filler to an existing load.
    I also weigh each powder charge, especially when using 4759 as it will bridge in the powder measure.
    Glad you were not hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    I have never understood the using of COW as a filler. I do use 1/4 sheet of TP in my 30-06 when using Red Dot. All it's for is to keep the powder at the flash hole. If I was blowing out case's, I just load a mild enough load to get the job done.

Have you ringed any chambers yet with that approach? 1/4 sheet of tp tamped in tight enough to secure the powder at the base of the case is in effect a secondary projectile inside the case, and when it contacts the base of the bullet it stops for "a second" with pressure building up behind it. Result, sooner or later: an unsightly ring in the chamber. Don't believe me? Research the phenomenon. A filler needs to be light and fluffy and take up all the air space, not leave air space exposed between it and the bullet. That's why pillow stuffing and the old standby kapok excels at the task.

While I concede the efficacy of filler use, in some circumstances, I shy away from their use.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Please, please, please DO NOT do this sort of thing again. You are lucky to be alive and thank goodness for strong bolt actions.
    For sure, I will not do it again in bottleneck cases. I since used tiny bit of cotton puff against the powder for my Mauser 43 pet loads as I have been for decades without any issue but the COW in the Swedish mauser was the first and last time. COW is convenient and safe for fireforming without a bullet .

Boolit Master
    I don't use fillers in any loads ,if your worried about powder position tip the barrel up between shots.I use shooting glasses too ,they did their job OK.

Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    Cream of Wheat cereal will compress into a near-solid mass under pressure. The 6.5X55 Swede is a very bottle-necked case where the COW may not "flow" through the shoulder area and can compress into a solid plug. Pressures can go through the roof causing what you have experienced. COW is GREAT in straight wall or tapered cases, but can and will give problems in bottle necked cases. If you need a filler to keep the SR4759 at the rear of the case, use dacron fluff or Spherical plastic shot buffer. Both of these work without raising chamber pressures on the Swede except a little bit as they flow easily into the bore. I have had similar extreme high pressures using "Puff-lon" filler in the swede and not use powders like Alliant 2400 or IMR 4198/3031 or 4895 instead of relying on fillers to get a clean burn,
    Bingo...we have A winner!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Bingo...we have A winner!
    Not really. CoW can ring chambers in straight walled cases, and has, which is not what I would call "great". The rest of the post is good.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by danyboy View Post
    One thing I did that I had never done before with this caliber and petload was using COW filler. Now, would this cause the pressure to go high enough to have something like this happen, could be. I usually do it for pet loads in larger cases and won't ever do it again with the Swedish. Also, perhaps my brass was overused. I will head up to my gunsmith and see what solution he has for me.
    Thanks to all for your ideas. Will follow up on this.
    Unfortunately ...yes. Fillers in bottle neck cartridges , in my opinion, are to be avoided. And what has happened in your case tends to reinforce that thought. Lots of fellows will say they have done it for 40 years with nary a problem....then this happens. Proven load, except for COW filler, and oops .

Sorry about your rifle but thank the Lord you are not hurt. You can can get another rifle , hard to get another you or new body parts.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez read Char-Gar for a great exlaination of wots going on.
    BUT - any fluffy filler can do this. Dacron etc, too - NOT just COW.
    (Personal 7.62x54R Russian experience decades ago...)
    Jurt have to use too much. (Whatever THAT is.)

Super Moderator

Double charge of 4227 under a Lyman 311284 in a low number 1903 NRA sporter.

Boltface. You can see the metal that was blown or broken off by the high pressure gas.

Bottom of the receiver and lug recess. Pictures I took, but which didn't come out were of the lug setback on the receiver, and where the 3rd "safety" lug setback into the rear bridge.

In case anyone is interested the slug tripped the PACT chronograph at 3018 fps.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

In case anyone is interested the slug tripped the PACT chronograph at 3018 fps.

................Buckshot

Geeeesus, if you wanted a 300 Ultra Mag you should've bought one!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Scrap the receiver.

Dutch

Boolit Master
    I agree with Dutchman, hang on the wall in the back of the shop, and from time to time look at it and be thankful that you were not injured!

Boolit Master
    Assuming your reloading practices are sound and you did not have Bullseye powder on the bench.....

You experienced either:
    1. Firing another round into a bore obstruction after a squib round fired.
    2. You double charged the case which is very common in very light loads.
    3. You experienced a "pressure excursion" using minimal powder charges in bottle-necked cases. This is called "detonation" by the ballistic experts and while a rare event, does occur.

Glad you are OK.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I seem to remember Buckshot posting that long ago, IIRC, I don't believe it was his rifle,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

You are correct that he posted it long ago, I think on the site before this one. IIRC it was his rifle and was loading 4227 powder, figured he got a double charge.
    Charter Member #148

We have fought the "filler wars" on this board and it's predecessors for many years and I had thought they were about over. I don't think there will be any agreement this time around either.

There are some folks who believe that a Dacron fillers is a good thing. There are others who trace ringed chambers to it.

There are others who feel that organic fillers like Cream of Wheat, Oatmeal, Coffee and the like are great things. However as illustrated in this post, when used in bottle neck cases, they can form a hard plug and push pressures through the roof. They tend to absorb moisture and form a very hard plug.

There there are the folks who use non-organic fillers such as Grex like materials. Precision Shotshell Buffer is a common choice. Unlike organic materials there won't hardened and form a plug, just blow out the muzzle. There is a small white cloud at the muzzle that smells like hot plastic.

I hold the opinion that fillers have limited use. I only use PSB when using very slow machine gun ball powder (WC872) to fill the case to form a compressed charge, which greatly assist in a clean burn. Even then, I only use 1 to 1.5 ccs of PSB. I have found 50/WC872 to be a great powder charge for the 30-06, .308 Win and 30-40 Krag. Only the larger 30-06 requires any PBS to form a lightly compressed load. This will push 165 to 200 grain cast gas check bullets 1.8K to 1.9K fps depending on all the various factors involved.

There are so many powders that require no fillers for good cast bullet performance and it seem hardly worth the effort and risk to play with them.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    You are correct that he posted it long ago, I think on the site before this one. IIRC it was his rifle and was loading 4227 powder, figured he got a double charge.
    That is my memory as well. I lifted the pics at that time and still have them on my hard drive. They illustrate quite well what happens when a low numbered 03 lets go. They turn into fragments whereas the high number 03s. swell up and lock up when they let go.

The low number 03 don't fail at any higher rate or pressure than the higher number versions. The difference is what happen when they do let go.

The Krags had the same imperfect heat treatment as the low 03s, but the design doesn't trap the gas like the 03 design does.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast