Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Leadership and the Janitor

Moderator Emeritus

Leadership and the Janitor

Leadership and the Janitor
    by James Moschgat, USAF (Ret.)
    William “Bill” Crawford was an unimpressive figure, one you could easily overlook during a hectic day at the U.S. Air Force Academy. Mr. Crawford, as most of us referred to him back in the late 1970s, was our squadron janitor.
    While we cadets busied ourselves preparing for academic exams, athletic events, Saturday morning parades, and room inspections -- or never -- ending leadership classes—Bill quietly moved about the squadron mopping and buffing floors, emptying trash cans, cleaning toilets, or just tidying up the mess 100 college-age kids can leave in a dormitory.
    Sadly, and for many years, few of us gave him much notice, rendering little more than a passing nod or throwing a curt, “G’morning!” in his direction as we hurried off to our daily duties. Why? Perhaps it was because of the way he did his job -- he always kept the squadron area spotlessly clean, even the toilets and showers gleamed. Frankly, he did his job so well, none of us had to notice or get involved. After all, cleaning toilets was his job, not ours.
    Maybe it was his physical appearance that made him disappear into the background. Bill didn’t move very quickly, and in fact, you could say he even shuffled a bit, as if he suffered from some sort of injury. His gray hair and wrinkled face made him appear ancient to a group of young cadets. And his crooked smile, well, it looked a little funny. Face it, Bill was an old man working in a young person’s world. What did he have to offer us on a personal level?
    Maybe it was Mr. Crawford’s personality that rendered him almost invisible to the young people around him. Bill was shy, almost painfully so. He seldom spoke to a cadet unless they addressed him first, and that didn’t happen very often. Our janitor always buried himself in his work, moving about with stooped shoulders, a quiet gait, and an averted gaze. If he noticed the hustle and bustle of cadet life around him, it was hard to tell. For whatever reason, Bill blended into the woodwork and became just another fixture around the squadron. The Academy, one of our nation’s premier leadership laboratories, kept us busy from dawn till dusk. And Mr. Crawford... well, he was just a janitor.
    That changed one fall Saturday afternoon in 1976. I was reading a book about World War II and the tough Allied ground campaign in Italy, when I stumbled across an incredible story.
    On September 13, 1943, a Private William Crawford from Colorado, assigned to the 36th Infantry Division, had been involved in some bloody fighting on Hill 424 near Altavilla, Italy.

The words on the page leapt out at me, “in the face of intense and overwhelming hostile fire... with no regard for personal safety... on his own initiative, Private Crawford single-handedly attacked fortified enemy positions.” It continued, “for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty, the President of the United States...”
    “Holy cow,” I said to my roommate, “you’re not going to believe this, but I think our janitor is a Medal of Honor recipient.” We all knew Mr. Crawford was a World War II Army vet, but that didn’t keep my friend from looking at me as if I was some sort of alien being. Nonetheless, we couldn’t wait to ask Bill about the story.
    We met Mr. Crawford bright and early Monday and showed him the page in question from the book, anticipation and doubt on our faces. He stared at it for a few silent moments and then quietly uttered something like, “Yep, that’s me.” Mouths agape, my roommate and I looked at one another, then at the book, and quickly back at our janitor. Almost at once, we both stuttered, “Why didn’t you ever tell us about it?” He slowly replied after some thought, “That was one day in my life and it happened a long time ago.” I guess we were all at a loss for words after that. We had to hurry off to class and Bill, well, he had chores to attend to.
    After that brief exchange, things were never again the same around our squadron. Word spread like wildfire among the cadets that we had a hero in our midst -- Mr. Crawford, our janitor, had been bestowed The Medal! Cadets who had once passed by Bill with hardly a glance, now greeted him with a smile and a respectful, “Good morning, Mr. Crawford.”
    Those who had before left a mess for the “janitor” to clean up, started taking it upon themselves to put things in order. Cadets routinely stopped to talk to Bill throughout the day and we even began inviting him to our formal squadron functions. He’d show up dressed in a conservative dark suit and quietly talk to those who approached him, the only sign of his heroics being a simple blue, star-spangled lapel pin. Almost overnight, Bill went from being a simple fixture in our squadron to one of our teammates.
    Mr. Crawford changed too, but you had to look closely to notice the difference. After that fall day in 1976, he seemed to move with more purpose, his shoulders didn’t seem to be as stooped, he met our greetings with a direct gaze and a stronger “good morning” in return, and he flashed his crooked smile more often. The squadron gleamed as always, but everyone now seemed to notice it more. Bill even got to know most of us by our first names, something that didn’t happen often at the Academy. While no one ever formally acknowledged the change, I think we became Bill’s cadets and his squadron.
    As often happens in life, events sweep us away from those in our past. The last time I saw Bill was on graduation day in June 1977. As I walked out of the squadron for the last time, he shook my hand and simply said, “Good luck, young man.” With that, I embarked on a career that has been truly lucky and blessed.
    Mr. Crawford continued to work at the Academy and eventually retired in his native Colorado, one of four Medal of Honor recipients who lived in the small town of Pueblo.
    A wise person once said, “It’s not life that’s important, but those you meet along the way that make the difference.” Bill was one who made a difference for me. Bill Crawford, our janitor, taught me many valuable, unforgettable leadership lessons, and I think of him often.
    Here are ten I’d like to share:
    1.) Be Cautious of Labels. Labels you place on people may define your relationship to them and bind their potential. Sadly, and for a long time, we labeled Bill as just a janitor, but he was so much more. Therefore, be cautious of a leader who callously says, “Hey, he’s just an Airman.” Likewise, don’t tolerate the O-1, who says, “I can’t do that, I’m just a lieutenant.”
    2.) Everyone Deserves Respect. Because we hung the “janitor” label on Mr. Crawford, we often wrongly treated him with less respect than others. He deserved much more, and not just because he was received the Medal of Honor. Bill deserved respect because he was a janitor, walked among us, and was a part of our team.
    3.) Courtesy Makes a Difference. Be courteous to all around you, regardless of rank or position. Military customs, as well as common courtesies, help bond a team. When our daily words to Mr. Crawford turned from perfunctory “hellos” to heartfelt greetings, his demeanor and personality outwardly changed. It made a difference for all of us.
    4.) Take Time to Know Your People. Life in the military is hectic, but that’s no excuse for not knowing the people you work for and with. For years a hero walked among us at the Academy and we never knew it. Who are the heroes that walk in your midst?
    5.) Anyone Can Be a Hero. Mr. Crawford certainly didn’t fit anyone’s standard definition of a hero. Moreover, he was just a private on the day he earned his Medal. Don’t sell your people short, for any one of them may be the hero who rises to the occasion when duty calls. On the other hand, it’s easy to turn to your proven performers when the chips are down, but don’t ignore the rest of the team. Today’s rookie could and should be tomorrow’s superstar.
    6.) Leaders Should Be Humble. Most modern day heroes, and some leaders, are anything but humble, especially if you calibrate your “hero meter” on today’s athletic fields. End zone celebrations and self-aggrandizement are what we’ve come to expect from sports greats. Not Mr. Crawford—he was too busy working to celebrate his past heroics. Leaders would be well served to do the same.
    7.) Life Won’t Always Hand You What You Think You Deserve. We in the military work hard and, dang it, we deserve recognition, right? However, sometimes you just have to persevere, even when accolades don’t come your way. Perhaps you weren’t nominated for junior officer or airman of the quarter as you thought you should -- don’t let that stop you. Don’t pursue glory; pursue excellence. Private Bill Crawford didn’t pursue glory -- he did his duty and then swept floors for a living.
    8.) No Job is Beneath a Leader. If Bill Crawford, a Medal of Honor recipient, could clean latrines and smile, is there a job beneath your dignity? Think about it.
    9.) Pursue Excellence. No matter what task life hands you, do it well. Dr. Martin Luther King said, “If life makes you a street sweeper, be the best street sweeper you can be.” Mr. Crawford modeled that philosophy and helped make our dormitory area a home.
    10.) Life is a Leadership Laboratory. All too often we look to some school or class to teach us about leadership when, in fact, life is a leadership laboratory. Those you meet everyday will teach you enduring lessons if you just take time to stop, look, and listen. I spent four years at the Air Force Academy, took dozens of classes, read hundreds of books, and met thousands of great people. I gleaned leadership skills from all of them, but one of the people I remember most is Mr. Bill Crawford and the lessons he unknowingly taught. Don’t miss your opportunity to learn.
    Bill Crawford was a janitor. However, he was also a teacher, friend, role model, and one great American hero.
    Thanks, Mr. Crawford, for some valuable leadership lessons.

This article has been reprinted with permission.

"Semper Vercundus"

Private William John Crawford was a scout for 3rd Platoon, Company I, 142nd Regiment, 36th Infantry Division, fighting in Italy during World War II on September 13, 1943 -- just four days after the invasion of Salerno.
    Crawford was a hero, lauded by peers for his actions in combat but was missing in action and presumed dead. Army Major General Terry Allen presented Crawford's Medal of Honor posthumously to his father, George, on May 11, 1944, at Camp (now Fort) Carson, near Colorado Springs, Colorado.
    It was later learned that Crawford was alive and in a POW camp. He returned to the United States after 18 months in captivity.
    Crawford retired from the Army after 23 years and went to work as a janitor at the U.S. Air Force Academy so that he could remain close to the military. Master Sergeant William J. Crawford passed away in 2000. He is buried on the grounds of the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Thanks Paul. Much wisdom there.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    RIP Private.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Great story Paul with good lessons . Thank you

Boolit Buddy
    Good read.
    Been to the Academy 3 times as a kid thanks to my Grandmother.
    Twice to tour and walk around once for a air show.
    It really is a place worth visiting.

I don't Now if I saw private Crawford in 1986 as at the age of 11, I barely new what a janitor was and wasn't real keen on what a REAL hero was either.

Good lessons.

Also one that isn't mentioned is this:

The things that will change your life in the most profound way are the things you never see coming.

Private Crawford is a stellar example of that.
    He never saw becoming a war hero, And I'm pretty sure after 40 years he never saw the respect he would get once his actions were revealed.

Both were profound changes he never saw coming.

Rich

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Paul. Good post.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats quite a story. RIP Private Crawford.

Moderator Emeritus
    I went to school there for two years (79 through 81) but don't remember that story. There were about 40 squadrons so have no idea if I ever ran into him.

I found this on Wikipedia:
    While working at the Air Force Academy, he mentioned to friends that he had never received the Medal from the president. In 1984, during that year's graduation ceremony, President Ronald Reagan formally presented him with the Medal.

He is buried at the United States Air Force Academy Cemetery in Colorado Springs. He is the only non-USAF US Army enlisted person buried there

Pretty cool.
    Last edited by garandsrus; 05-05-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Being born in 1950 I was raised surrounded by these WWII vets, Your story makes me reflect and especially wonder about those that never told us kids of their war stories, just quiet respectful men who went around doing their jobs without any undue fuss.
    Being a WWII history buff your story made me think of all that was going on around him at that moment in time…what a world completely upside down.

Thanks buck…charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Paul, for a poignant and very instructive story. In today's world, few it seems, ever do anything without getting some sort of gratification or recognition out of it. Many of the old WWII vets I've known have been very similarly bent, though, and I truly do MISS those great men. Would that we saw more of them today!

Thanks, and I'll be sending this story to all on my email list, in hopes that it'll be forwarded enough to tough quite a few hearts, and maybe, get some folks who need to, to simply think about what we do.

I was raised on USMC bases until Dad retired on my 7th birthday at Paris Island. At about age 3, we were coming home one evening and they played Taps as they lowered the flag - a practice I hope they still preserve today. We lived in NCO housing, Dad being a Msgt., and I heard those haunting lilts every evening. At 3, I was beginning to ask questions, a practice I've continued to this day, and when he stopped that particular evening and got out and placed his hat over his heart (he was in civies) and stood at attention, facing where he knew the flag was, I was rapt with the ritual. When it was over, and he opened the car door to get back in, I asked him, "Daddy, why do they play 'that music' (I hadn't a clue what the song was or what it meant) every day, and why do you stand that way when they play it? And what are all those statues for on the base of men fighting for?"

This hit Dad like a rock between the eyes, and actually seemed to stun him. He stopped for a second, stock dead still, and then went to the rear door, opened it, and squatted down, getting eye-to-eye with me. I knew something significant was about to happen from the serious expression on his face, and his squatting down like that to get eye-to-eye with me. "Well, son, I'll tell you why I stop and salute that flag and what that flag means. That flag stands for all the great guys who went to war, and fought to keep us all safe and free from all the bad people in the world who'd try to lord over us, and take what we have from us. That flag is an every day reminder of those great men who, through many years now, have stood and fought so that you, a little kid in (wherever it was, I forget now) can go to school every day, and laugh and play and learn, and then come home to a safe and secure home, and go play in your sand box, and not have to worry someone may come along and hurt you or your Mom and Dad, and maybe take them away. That flag stands for all those good men, and the women who support them, and for all they've done to keep us safe and secure and pretty prosperous. We have a clean house, and three good meals a day on the table to eat. We're not hungry, and won't starve, if we remember where we came from and what so many did to get us here. That flag stands for those good men and women, and what they did.

"The red in the stripes stands for the red blood many of them shed so that we can be here today, in this great land we own now. The white in the stripes and stars represents the purity of our intentions, and that we always try to do the right and honorable thing, even when it's hard. The blue in the background of the stars is for the fact that we're always true blue to our values and principles we believe in here. And as to those statues, they're put there so we remember some of the men who fought, and the battles they were in, so we won't forget, and start taking things for granted. You see, it's always taken a lot of good men to keep our country free, and to keep our way of life and our beliefs and values from those who'd try to take them away. It might be that one day, you'll have to go and fight. I hope that doesn't happen. No Dad wants to see his son in harm's way. But if you do, I just hope you'll remember all this, and those great guys who paid the price for all of us today, so we can be here in safety and as much security as we'll ever find on this earth. I just hope you'll fight with honor, and well.

"THAT, is what that flag stands for, why they play that music, and why those statues are there. Next time you go by one of those statues, I hope you'll think about those good men those statues represent, and that you'll always remember them. They truly earned our respect, and are worthy of our memory of them."

When he'd finished his little spiel, there were a few tears running down his cheeks, and I knew I'd just experienced something great, and something I'd never forget. And I'll never forget. I couldn't if I wanted to. Because it was all true.

Now, I look around, and I see a very different type and set of people - willful, self-obsessed to the point of almost the exclusion of all else, and haughty, smirky and profane. Is it any wonder the nation has fallen the way it has when it's largely populated by these types? A nation cannot do what it is not capable of, mentally and emotionally, and doesn't have the will to do anyway.

Those folks who fought in WWII were mostly brought up in the "Roaring 20's" and the Great Depression. A time of willfulness in the 20's led them to the Great Depression, and then to WWII. I don't know what our current period of collective willfulness is leading us to, but I sense it's going to be unspeakably severe. I hate it that this is where we are now, but nothing seems destined to avert us from earning another severe judgment due to our extreme level of willfulness and self-deception. We seem to think we can do anything we want, and get away with it without cost or retribution. This has been a fairly popular view in history, but it's never been without cost in the end. God is patient, but not infinitely so. Sooner or later, He HAS to intervene, lest we destroy our own selves, and He created us, and I don't believe He'll let us destroy ourselves. That's HIS judgment to make, in His own due time.

So every time I hear Taps, or see the flag waving in the wind (I love the giant one on Hwy. 17 coming into Savannah!), I get a bit wistful and sad at what could be, and where we seem to be headed. But I'll ALWAYS honor what Dad told me that flag stands for, for as long as there's breath in my body, and I've tried to instill that into my son and grandsons, too. And it seems to have taken root pretty well. There ARE some really great young ones out there. I guess SOMEbody's got to fight the next war! It's not right that our best should be the ones to sacrifice for those who stay home, smug that they're "smarter than that," but .... that's the way it seems to be now. But one thing I know for sure - it's not going to STAY that way. It CAN'T.

May God protect and shield those who protect our nation, and earn what we seem to so frivolously regard with such self-indulgence. And when one falls, may God have mercy on his soul, and deem him fit to go to Heaven and be with Him. Amen.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

There are heroes among us, even on this forum. God bless them all.

Leon

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Many gave all
    All gave some

Please thank a Veteran

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

For our tomorrow
    They gave their today
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Manwithnoplan View Post
    why you tunr this to negative rant? you served in military?
    This made me think of what Red Forman used to say to Eric,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks for the OP Paul, and Blackwater, Carry On.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    There are heroes among us, even on this forum. God bless them all.

Leon
    And some no longer on this forum. Former member Larry Gibson was a testimonial eyewitness (required) to Alfred Rascon's Medal of Honor recommendation. Larry was humping the 60 that day and is the machine gunner mentioned in the citation.
    There are others here.

ALFRED V. RASCONRank and organization: Specialist Four, U.S. Army, Reconnaissance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion (Airborne), 503rd Infantry, 173rd Airborne Brigade (Place and date: Republic of Vietnam, March 16, 1966Entered service at: ----Born: 1945, Chihuahua, MexicoCitation:

Specialist Four Alfred Rascon, distinguished himself by a series of extraordinarily courageous acts on March 16, 1966, while assigned as a medic to the Reconnaissance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion (Airborne), 503rd Infantry, 173rd Airborne Brigade (Separate). While moving to reinforce its sister battalion under intense enemy attack, the Reconnaissance Platoon came under heavy fire from a numerically superior enemy force. The intense enemy fire from crew-served weapons and grenades severely wounded several point squad soldiers. Specialist Rascon, ignoring directions to stay behind shelter until covering fire could be provided, made his way forward. He repeatedly tried to reach the severely wounded point machine-gunner laying on an open enemy trail, but was driven back each time by the withering fire. Disregarding his personal safety, he jumped to his feet, ignoring flying bullets and exploding grenades to reach his comrade. To protect him from further wounds, he intentionally placed his body between the soldier and enemy machine guns, sustaining numerous shrapnel injuries and a serious wound to the hip. Disregarding his serious wounds he dragged the larger soldier from the fire-raked trail. Hearing the second machine-gunner yell that he was running out of ammunition, Specialist Rascon, under heavy enemy fire crawled back to the wounded machine-gunner stripping him of his bandoleers of ammunition, giving them to the machine-gunner who continued his suppressive fire. Specialist Rascon fearing the abandoned machine gun, its ammunition and spare barrel could fall into enemy hands made his way to retrieve them. On the way, he was wounded in the face and torso by grenade fragments, but disregarded these wounds to recover the abandoned machine gun, ammunition and spare barrel items, enabling another soldier to provide added suppressive fire to the pinned-down squad. In searching for the wounded, he saw the point grenadier being wounded by small arms fire and grenades being thrown at him. Disregarding his own life and his numerous wounds, Specialist Rascon reached and covered him with his body absorbing the blasts from the exploding grenades, and saving the soldier's life, but sustaining additional wounds to his body. While making his way to the wounded point squad leader, grenades were hurled at the sergeant. Again, in complete disregard for his own life, he reached and covered the sergeant with his body, absorbing the full force of the grenade explosions. Once more Specialist Rascon was critically wounded by shrapnel, but disregarded his own wounds to continue to search and aid the wounded. Severely wounded, he remained on the battlefield, inspiring his fellow soldiers to continue the battle. After the enemy broke contact, he disregarded aid for himself, instead treating the wounded and directing their evacuation. Only after being placed on the evacuation helicopter did he allow aid to be given to him. Specialist Rascon's extraordinary valor in the face of deadly enemy fire, his heroism in rescuing the wounded, and his gallantry by repeatedly risking his own life for his fellow soldiers are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Manwithnoplan View Post
    why you tunr this to negative rant? you served in military?
    How is recognizing the Truth "turning this to a negative rant?" And yes, I was Navy. Many today expect to hear nothing but praise no matter what is done or by who. That doesn't have much of a record of success in bringing about good things for us. The first step to making things better is realizing and admitting what is wrong. That's called "good sense" where I come from, not a "negative rant."

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    How is recognizing the Truth "turning this to a negative rant?" And yes, I was Navy. Many today expect to hear nothing but praise no matter what is done or by who. That doesn't have much of a record of success in bringing about good things for us. The first step to making things better is realizing and admitting what is wrong. That's called "good sense" where I come from, not a "negative rant."
    If no one points out the mistakes made they will continue over and over again.

Somewhere someone with the backbone MUST point out the mistakes.

Good for you sir.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the post, I never realized he was a hero and also earned the silver star for that action.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    And some no longer on this forum. Former member Larry Gibson was a testimonial eyewitness (required) to Alfred Rascon's Medal of Honor recommendation. Larry was humping the 60 that day and is the machine gunner mentioned in the citation.
    There are others here.

ALFRED V. RASCONRank and organization: Specialist Four, U.S. Army, Reconnaissance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion (Airborne), 503rd Infantry, 173rd Airborne Brigade (Place and date: Republic of Vietnam, March 16, 1966Entered service at: ----Born: 1945, Chihuahua, MexicoCitation:

Specialist Four Alfred Rascon, distinguished himself by a series of extraordinarily courageous acts on March 16, 1966, while assigned as a medic to the Reconnaissance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion (Airborne), 503rd Infantry, 173rd Airborne Brigade (Separate). While moving to reinforce its sister battalion under intense enemy attack, the Reconnaissance Platoon came under heavy fire from a numerically superior enemy force. The intense enemy fire from crew-served weapons and grenades severely wounded several point squad soldiers. Specialist Rascon, ignoring directions to stay behind shelter until covering fire could be provided, made his way forward. He repeatedly tried to reach the severely wounded point machine-gunner laying on an open enemy trail, but was driven back each time by the withering fire. Disregarding his personal safety, he jumped to his feet, ignoring flying bullets and exploding grenades to reach his comrade. To protect him from further wounds, he intentionally placed his body between the soldier and enemy machine guns, sustaining numerous shrapnel injuries and a serious wound to the hip. Disregarding his serious wounds he dragged the larger soldier from the fire-raked trail. Hearing the second machine-gunner yell that he was running out of ammunition, Specialist Rascon, under heavy enemy fire crawled back to the wounded machine-gunner stripping him of his bandoleers of ammunition, giving them to the machine-gunner who continued his suppressive fire. Specialist Rascon fearing the abandoned machine gun, its ammunition and spare barrel could fall into enemy hands made his way to retrieve them. On the way, he was wounded in the face and torso by grenade fragments, but disregarded these wounds to recover the abandoned machine gun, ammunition and spare barrel items, enabling another soldier to provide added suppressive fire to the pinned-down squad. In searching for the wounded, he saw the point grenadier being wounded by small arms fire and grenades being thrown at him. Disregarding his own life and his numerous wounds, Specialist Rascon reached and covered him with his body absorbing the blasts from the exploding grenades, and saving the soldier's life, but sustaining additional wounds to his body. While making his way to the wounded point squad leader, grenades were hurled at the sergeant. Again, in complete disregard for his own life, he reached and covered the sergeant with his body, absorbing the full force of the grenade explosions. Once more Specialist Rascon was critically wounded by shrapnel, but disregarded his own wounds to continue to search and aid the wounded. Severely wounded, he remained on the battlefield, inspiring his fellow soldiers to continue the battle. After the enemy broke contact, he disregarded aid for himself, instead treating the wounded and directing their evacuation. Only after being placed on the evacuation helicopter did he allow aid to be given to him. Specialist Rascon's extraordinary valor in the face of deadly enemy fire, his heroism in rescuing the wounded, and his gallantry by repeatedly risking his own life for his fellow soldiers are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army

Boolit Master
    Thank you Paul for a great thread.Being born in 1945,I was priviledged to have known veterans from WW1,WW2 and Korea.My Father and his older brother served in the trenches in WW1.One of my cousins served in Shermans.
    Miss them all.God bless all who have served,who are now serving and those who will serve in the future.God bless and keep you safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck