RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is choking me?

Boolit Buddy
    I would think the smokeless powder produces the smoke and the powder coat rides to the target on the boolit.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Just a thought... does this happen throughout your entire shooting session or just when you begin? I don't know how you care for your guns but if your bore was oiled well before shooting I could see that making some strong fumes depending on what oil you use.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MediumCore358 View Post
    Just a thought... does this happen throughout your entire shooting session or just when you begin? I don't know how you care for your guns but if your bore was oiled well before shooting I could see that making some strong fumes depending on what oil you use.
    Not when I just begin...the wind has to be just right to blow it back into my face. Most of the time when the wind is not blowing and I have no problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    then drop the powder coating.

your only other choice is to store them boolit up and load them the day before.
    you could also not coat the base and see...
    anyway you know what the problem is.
    I don't know what the problem is...at this point. It could be the powder coating I am using (they are not all the same formula), the Titegroup, or even insufficiently curing of the powder coat.

Quote Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
    The oven was adjusted to 400 degrees using a separate oven thermometer...before that, I melted a batch of bullets by going with the setting on the knob. So, I know its hitting 400. After the bullets get shinny, I set the timer for 15 minutes. The bullets do pass the hammer test... other than that, I don't know how to test for full-curing.
    Wipe a bullet with a rag soaked in acetone. If the rag tries to stick, the powder isnt cured completely.

Im betting more on it being a powder issue issue. There just isnt enough powder coating coming off a bullet to cause a reaction. There is a lot more smoke and residue from the gun powder. Like someone said, carry some uncoated bullets with you and next tine it happens, try them out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

do not coat the base on 10 rds .. load as normal .
    Wait for wind to be in your face
    shoot
    if you still react its the powder not the PC
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Part of it could be the TG, it burns hotter than any other powder I have used. Some complain about the smell of this or that powder, regardless of bullet.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned

powders do have a distinctive smell.
    I could tell who was using clay's, red-dot, and 700-x on the line when trap shooing.
    700-x is a super distinctive smell in a 12 ga.
    red-dot always gave a slight ball of smoke, and clay's would leave a column of nearly clean heat in front of the barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    powders do have a distinctive smell.
    I could tell who was using clay's, red-dot, and 700-x on the line when trap shooing.
    700-x is a super distinctive smell in a 12 ga.
    red-dot always gave a slight ball of smoke, and clay's would leave a column of nearly clean heat in front of the barrel.
    Off the subject of powder coated bullets, but when I was trap shooting using clay's I was amazed at how clean my barrel was after shooting three or so rounds (four would leave my shoulder with a dull ache the rest of the day), of trap compared to some of the other powders I tried. I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it. Also, as I remember when I was young in the late fifties, early sixties, how the commercial shot shells smelled...none of the powders I have ever used for shotguns have ever had that pleasant distinctive smell.

I've had occaisions with same type thing.Not choking so much as kinda a feeling like dust in my throat.Makes me cough.Noticed it with both cast and jacketed bullets,rifle and handgun.Only sometimes when wind is just so.Never paid attention to what powder was burning.Sure won't make me stop shooting

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Its your wife for spending to much money on everything but her look around the house for one of those voodoo dolls.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    Alox and trailboss at low velocity made me cough today seriously. I wonder if the msds for that powder coat would be specific to color or just general, just to see what compounds may be in that specific colors pigment.

Boolit Buddy
    Another thing I noticed when shooting Titegroup and those Blue powder coated bullets was, when shooting paper targets (only to test a load, steel targets most of the time), they left a noticeable black smudge where they passed through the targets. Considering that recovered powder coated bullets are pretty much intact, Titegroup must be depositing a lot of carbon on the bullets when fired.

Boolit Master
    I don't have an issue with TG, but my surplus 5.56mm rounds have a nasty gas that makes me cough anytime I shoot it indoors. That ammo has been regulated to outdoor duty only. I would bet you developed a sensitivity to something in the powder. I have the same problem with latex gloves now though I used them for a decade in the kitchen I can no longer wear them without a rash.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
    I don't know what the problem is...at this point. It could be the powder coating I am using (they are not all the same formula), the Titegroup, or even insufficiently curing of the powder coat.
    we know that titegroup erodes powder coating, it makes it soft and mushy and sticks to it.
    think about that.
    then add in the extra heat it burns with.
    you have a chemical reaction here.

Boolit Man
    Change powder

Bill