MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: First attempt

Boolit Bub

First attempt

I made up some Simple Lube today using 50% beeswax and 50% Sta-Lube High Pressure Moly Graph. I came out a little softer than I expected. Would another couple ounces of beeswax make it a little harder? I don't want to get it too hard though. Has anyone else had any experience with this formula?

Thanks

I've never made the Simple Lube recipe, but yes, more beeswax will stiffen it up.
    __

Banned

that's not simple lube.

it is a simple lube though.
    just add some more beeswax, I generally shoot for 35% grease and let everything sit overnight.
    I can adjust after that.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks runfiverun,
    After another search I see there is a lube called "Simple Lube".
    Maybe I should have said "A" simple Lube instead of "some" simple lube. It is real simple as far as many I have read about go.
    Thanks and I will add some more beeswax to get closer to 35/65 and seen how that works out.

Moderator Emeritus

Drifterdon, welcome to the forum.

I have used a homemade lube (called Lith-Bee) given to me from a fellow CB member . It was made with 50% Lithium grease(a soap-based one, but brand was unknown to me) and 50% beeswax, which would be similar to what you made. Yes it was softer than I like, it made a mess of my fingers while reloading ammo, and it smelled like a grease fire at the shooting range. I didn't like it, I didn't try to modify it, I just offered it to another member to use.

Some people like a softer lube, I recognized your recipe (it's Glen Fryxell's recipe) and I know Glen has posted it's his preferred recipe and has had success with it.

a PDF file, From the "files" folder at a public group on facebook called, Cast Bullets & Bullet Casting, posted by Glen Fryxell, September 15, 2015 at 9:50am
    Moly lube recipe

Made another batch of moly grease bullet lube today, and thought I'd share the details as I get asked about this on a regular basis. First off, my lovely wife bought me a 2-quart aluminum pitcher at some clearance sale (I think she paid $1 for it). Using our kitchen scale, I weighed out 14 ounces of yellow beeswax (in chunks). Next, I went outside to our propane grill and fired up the little side burner that is supposedly there to heat sauces on (all I have ever used it for was making bullet lube), and placed the beeswax over a medium flame (in the pitcher). While that was melting, I took one 14 ounce tube of Sta-Lube Extreme Pressure Moly-Graph All-Purpose Grease and removed both end caps. Using a butter-knife (dedicated to this purpose), I scooped out the grease into the pitcher. After all the grease was in the pitcher, I used the knife to stir the mixture until all the wax had melted. Then I turned the heat off, covered it with aluminum foil,and let it cool. All told, it took me about 10 minutes to make almost 2 lbs of bullet lube.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 05-04-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Thanks JonB, Yes it is Glen's recipe. I have yet to try and lube some bullets with it. maybe when applied it will be better since there is so little on the bullet compared to a container full of the stuff. I will find out later today.
    Last edited by drifterdon; 05-04-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master

My long time favorite is made up of:
    3 - parts beeswax.
    1 - part lithium grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky) but any good lithium grease will do.
    Works great for handgun velocities. Soft but not too messy. A touch of paraffin can be used to harden, I have been using it since the 70's in an unheated Lyman 450 .
    Add some more beeswax ( maybe a dab of paraffin too) and see if that helps. Lube making involves a bit of try and see to get the consistency you want.

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 05-04-2016 at 12:39 PM.