Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 626 Pigpocalypse

Banned

I apologize if asking a question you already addressed, but I must have missed it if you did. What, if anything, are you lubing these round balls with?

Boolit Master
    Not lubing round ball at all. There's a lube cookie over the fiber wads, under the over shot card. The fouling shot will go down the barrel "dry". After that, between the lube and black powder residue, there's plenty of lubricant in the barrel.

Banned

Interesting. I wonder if round balls would work in conventional plastic hulls like this (no crimp and glued or taped in like that)?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if round balls would work in conventional plastic hulls like this (no crimp and glued or taped in like that)?
    There is no reason that they should not, although you may have to skive and ream open a plastic hull which has much thicker walls than the Magtech brass. Were I going the plastic hull/smokeless route, I think I would buy 20 ga slugs with published data from Ballistics Products.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Yes and no. This is exactly what I did first before buying magtech shells. I took plastic hulls, std cups, and put in 58 call balls which fit snug. Accuracy no good, blown the bottoms out of the cups.

so I bought a lee 58 cal HB mold and turned a new FB pin. Much better, but it was minute of pig at 50 yards at best. Also very alloy sensitive. Any antimony in the alloy at all and the petals of the cup were sheared right off. I'm sure that was no good for the accuracy either.

fast forward and I have the megtech shells and a few full diameter slugs to try. But RB's are king, and if the formula already exists for minute of pig 100 yard accuracy, then the development is done, I just need to confirm, then buy my own mold and wads. perfect!

I hope I get that kind of performance from my gun

Boolit Master

So, RPRNY was kind enough to give me a few RB's and wad components he is using. I "duplicated" the load using 85 gr 2F and no lube cookie (squirted some bore butter in there and smooshed the card on top. Go easy on me, I've never used lube cookies before)

Anyways, loaded up 7 or so and shot them all today, elbows on the table for a rest, just at 25 yards to see if there's any merit. Also shot two of my 45 cal lead free sabot slugs on the same target. Results as below:

By george I think he is on to something here. I predict another buy of magtech shells in my future. Believe it or not, I feel like I pulled one of those rounds low, too. I bet they can shoot even better.

(for some reason it was a bunch of 'kids' today at the range, ~18 years old. I could ear their exclamations through my hearing protection at every shot. Apparently they don't expect to see a shower of sparks fly out of the barrel normally. )

Boolit Master
    Precision with lube cookies probably not necessary. These are 100-125 yard propositions. "Squirted some bore butter in there and smooshed the card on top" will probably be fine provided your "some" and your "smoosh" are consistent.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Tested 95 grs OE FFg today at 100 yards. Accuracy was 2 - 2.5" but got it up to 1344 fps, albeit with fairly brutal recoil. That's 1483 ft/lbs and a Taylor KO of 44. My ballistic app doesn't allow for round ball but I'm betting it's close to 1000 at 100 yards.

I think this is going to be a great rifle for walking up hogs.

Boolit Master

you suck, RPRNY. You get me going on something really good, and ballistics products has been out of stock on 18 ga fiber wads since you started this thread.

I know. I have been checking every few days since then with a shopping cart ready to go.

I have long wanted that exact gun for that kind of fun. Rifled slug guns are rare around here. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

buy one. Mine is the ultralite. People said it was "not accurate" compared to the USH heavy. For me, it is "accurate enough" with lead free slugs, which is why I bought it. And LIGHT for hunting.

And with RPRNY's 626 pigpocalypse, it is shockingly accurate (see pics. accurate!), and even shoots well with homemade BP. Which, now that ballistics products got in a shipment of wads, means I can shoot it for a long, long, long time for near free.

It's my favorite gun under $500. easy.

+1 on a crimp instead of tape.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Oops! I jumped the gun and didn’t see rest of the thread when I posted. Apologies...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I like this Idea, but I sorta cheated and bought a 500 S&W magnum Handi rifle some years ago. So far I have never polluted it with factory ammo. I had read of small game cartridges in single shots for walking around rifles. I thought that idea could be applied to larger game if one used a bigger bore. The handi with receiver and barrel designed to operate at 65k seemed like the perfect toy. It is. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have had with mine.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master

I tried to create an indoor range friendly load off this stack with bluedot.

Total failure.

Back to BP! Shoulda never questioned that woul dbe the most important part of the equation!

Boolit Master
    http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...allistics.html

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    Tested 95 grs OE FFg today at 100 yards. Accuracy was 2 - 2.5" but got it up to 1344 fps, albeit with fairly brutal recoil. That's 1483 ft/lbs and a Taylor KO of 44.My ballistic app doesn't allow for round ball but I'm betting it's close to 1000 at 100 yards.

I think this is going to be a great rifle for walking up hogs.

Boolit Master
    Thanks very much !!!

Boolit Mold
    Gentlemen, I have read this thread a couple of times. I just joined this site, so I can now add some new ideas. If you have shotgun with screw in chokes you have a tapered crimp device or buy one just for this purpose. You will have to decide the right amount of choke. AS long as the equator of the ball is at least below the mouth of the shell and a reasonably tight fit, it should keep the shell from collapsing while the choke tube applies a tapered crimp. I think, as was suggested an arbor press or a home made device to apply straight downward pressure would be good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123