Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 60 of 132 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 2625

Thread: What is the last gun you bought?

Boolit Grand Master
    Two Thompson Compass rifles in .308. After rebate and FFL cost $212.50 each. Makes me wonder why anyone would buy a Mosin Nagant. Comes with a threaded barrel and adjustable trigger. Supposedly 1 MOA for three shots but that is likely BS...only repeatable 5 shot groups matter...we will see.
    Don Verna

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Two Thompson Compass rifles in .308. After rebate and FFL cost $212.50 each. Makes me wonder why anyone would buy a Mosin Nagant. Comes with a threaded barrel and adjustable trigger. Supposedly 1 MOA for three shots but that is likely BS...only repeatable 5 shot groups matter...we will see.
    Don't know what your two will do, but mine means and beats their BS! I've read a lot of bad about the trigger, but my trigger is rather nice out of the box so I'm going to leave it alone for now. When you get to loading for it and if you use a 168 grain SMK, tell me if you can load it out far enough to be close to the leade. On mine I can't. Remember in another thread I told you it has a honking throat. Not so much diameter, but the way it's configured. All in all I'm pleases with the rifle and it's performance. I have it shooting a cast load superb!!! Have fun with them.

Just committed to buy a pair of H&R Handi rifles, both in .44 mag.

Be a bit before they arrive but the funds are headed their way.
    We'll see.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    a little erma 25 acp to use as a backup. had to go a whole 50 do!lars to get it. after re blueing and refinishing the grips it is a nice looking little gun. shoots great no malfunctions and very accurate.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Don't know what your two will do, but mine means and beats their BS! I've read a lot of bad about the trigger, but my trigger is rather nice out of the box so I'm going to leave it alone for now. When you get to loading for it and if you use a 168 grain SMK, tell me if you can load it out far enough to be close to the leade. On mine I can't. Remember in another thread I told you it has a honking throat. Not so much diameter, but the way it's configured. All in all I'm pleases with the rifle and it's performance. I have it shooting a cast load superb!!! Have fun with them.
    The first outing will be with Norma Match factory ammo and it uses that bullet. I get sub MOA groups with it in a M70 Coyote. I will also use my hunting load (165 Sierra GameKing) as it shoots sub MOA as well. Will tweak from there as needed. Not planning to shoot cast but thanks for the information on that! I am hoping the GameKing bullet works as I have over 400 of them from the same lot.

Good info on the throat issue. Hoping for the best, but my fall back is to rebore/rechamber to .358 Winchester. My "standard" for a hunting rifle is repeatable 5 shot groups at 1.5". Tighter is nicer but good enough is good enough.

For less than $215 delivered, I do not expect a tack driver.

One question, did you do anything to the stock? It seems a bit flimsy. Thanks.
    Don Verna

Banned

The first outing will be with Norma Match factory ammo and it uses that bullet. I get sub MOA groups with it in a M70 Coyote. I will also use my hunting load (165 Sierra GameKing) as it shoots sub MOA as well. Will tweak from there as needed. Not planning to shoot cast but thanks for the information on that! I am hoping the GameKing bullet works as I have over 400 of them from the same lot.

Good info on the throat issue. Hoping for the best, but my fall back is to rebore/rechamber to .358 Winchester. My "standard" for a hunting rifle is repeatable 5 shot groups at 1.5". Tighter is nicer but good enough is good enough.

For less than $215 delivered, I do not expect a tack driver.

One question, did you do anything to the stock? It seems a bit flimsy. Thanks.
    Dverna just let me say when things are right the little bugger will just about drill holes. Yesterday I was out shooting a 217 grain 30-06 Heavy Sil bullet, naturally designed for the 30-06 rifles and it fitsthis Compass! The 308 Compass does indeed have a 308 chamber, but not the normal throat. The chamber is same as on my Browning A Bolt. Now if I try the cartridge with that cast bullet in my Browning the bolt is 1/2 inch from closing! More examples: If I try that cartridge in my M1A it's bolt too is short of closing by 1/4 inch!!! The throat on the Compass is .312 right in front of the end of the chamber and tapers at about the midway point to .311, then of course to .308 at the end. Their is no forcing cone that I can see at all. The rifling comes all the way down to the beginning of the throat!!, but of course it very very shallow that far down, but never the less still that far down. It presents a peculiar set of circumstances in fitting both jacketed and cast. I'll put a picture of the pound cast here so you can see what I'm talking about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010617.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	219310

Dverna TC may have changed it so your throat may (hopefully) be different. Please let me us know if your's is like mine.

Boolit Bub
    A Savage 110 bolt action rifle. To date, I have changed calibers three times. Savage prefit barrels are easy to change and often available at reasonable prices or can be purchased from custom barrel makers. I've put an over sized recoil lug, glass bedded the action, custom painted the stock and free floated the barrel. I'm amazed at the accuracy of Savage rifles.

FINALLY found a full wood military Springfield 1903 with a good bore that I could actually afford to buy (sincere examples of 1903's have got very expensive up here in Canada these days) so it is being shipped to me right now. Should arrive in a couple of days ... can't wait!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    FINALLY found a full wood military Springfield 1903 with a good bore that I could actually afford to buy (sincere examples of 1903's have got very expensive up here in Canada these days) so it is being shipped to me right now. Should arrive in a couple of days ... can't wait!

Well done, a great rifle (if I was in the WW1 trenches however, I would have preferred a SMLE, which I feel is the ultimate wallow in the mud and come up trumps battle bolt rifle, but the Springfield is an extraordinarily fine and accurate rifle).

Springfelds have always been expensive here in Australia and right through the 70s, 80s and early 90s when I was looking for one, rare and always with awful barrels. In the late 90s I saw one advertised which stated that the bore was good, so I drove 120miles/200kms to Sydney with three whinging teenage boys in the car and found a lovely 1942 vintage Remington 1903 with a bright bore and good wood and a bayonet! He was also selling a Jap 6.5 with a quilion bayonet which was suoer cheap. The toy fund took a body blow that day, but I ended up with two very unique rifles.

The sights on the Springfield are a challenge. I'm 70 and can still use them if I hold my mouth right and almost go crosseyed! HaHa, totally worth it though. I have been meaning to buy a second sight so I can open up the peep a bit without ruining the original sight.

You will love your Springer!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Well, my new to me 1903 Springfield just arrived and I couldn't happier! It's in very nice shape, wearing a star gauged barrel with a great bore, target aperture adjustable rear sight, and a hooded aperture front sight. Even came with a target style sling. I honestly don't think for one minute that it is an arsenal produced "National Match" rifle, but is more likely some target shooters home (or shop?) built version that he used to target shoot with, but in any case it is exactly what I was looking for and I can't wait to put together some cast boolit target loads for it and get it out to the range! (I'm just heading out the door right now but will try to take some photos later and post them so that some of our 1903 experts can give their opinions on it's possible target heritage ...)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Ruger American Compact in .308. 18" 1 in 10 twist cold hammer forged barrel. Savage style trigger. Rotary 4 rd. mag that feeds from the center. Just under 6 lbs. Shoots .310 boolits with no leading. May upgrade it with a Boyd's stock to bring the l.o.p. up to 13" inches or so. Seems like a lot of rifle for $400.

Boolit Mold
    In the midst of a trade right now, trading a 10.5" AR that I built for a lightly used Smith and Wesson 686, with a speedloader and $150 cash. Can't wait to get casting and handloading for it.

This is what my 200$ TC does in 308
    That’s 15 rounds at 50 yards using 13 grn of 800x with a AL GCClick image for larger version. 

Name:	3C1706A8-A7EF-4DD7-8C90-C7EC416D593F.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	219691

OK, I finally got a few minutes to shoot a few quick photos of my "new to me" 1903 Springfield and I just posted them in the "military rifle" section ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Well, my new to me 1903 Springfield just arrived and I couldn't happier! It's in very nice shape, wearing a star gauged barrel with a great bore, target aperture adjustable rear sight, and a hooded aperture front sight. Even came with a target style sling. I honestly don't think for one minute that it is an arsenal produced "National Match" rifle, but is more likely some target shooters home (or shop?) built version that he used to target shoot with, but in any case it is exactly what I was looking for and I can't wait to put together some cast boolit target loads for it and get it out to the range! (I'm just heading out the door right now but will try to take some photos later and post them so that some of our 1903 experts can give their opinions on it's possible target heritage ...)

Boolit Master
    Here’s my latest ... NAA .22 Short, just for the heck of it. It’s in the safe right next to my Ruger super Blackhawk 44 mag. Five inch groups at five yards

Name:	942B405D-915D-44B1-8722-C0A3B3660B8F.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	219846

Name:	587EBF07-2E38-42D2-AF0B-76278CD5E3A0.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	219847

Name:	201C2AF1-CCCA-4591-B0F6-F868FFA15A7C.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	219848

Name:	03F9F6B3-E332-4D6C-B76B-0569381AB819.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	219849
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

I've always wanted a Beretta 92 so on my second cup of coffee this morning I ordered one of the surplus 92S Italian police models. The mag release location doesn't bother me; the dang thing holds 15 rds. I'll post pics when it gets here.
    I love your "curiously strong" revolver there, ghh3rd! Better lay in some CB Shorts for practice to avoid that Magnum recoil......

Boolit Buddy
    Ordered one of the S&W Model 10 turn ins as well as a Star 9mm BM both from AIM Surplus. Should have them delivered sometime next week. Ordered 300x Hornady .358 158 gr SWCHP swaged lead and 200x Hornady .430 240 gr SWCHP swaged lead from Grafs, to try in the Model 10 and my Model 624-3 as well.

Boolit Master

I've been following this thread since it first appeared just never bothered to post. There have been several purchases since the thread was started but my most recent purchases were an Enfield #4 MK2 in unissued condition and a Weihrauch HW95 air rifle. Somewhat an indication of how my interest bounces around.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by goryshaw View Post
    Ordered one of the S&W Model 10 turn ins as well as a Star 9mm BM both from AIM Surplus. Should have them delivered sometime next week. Ordered 300x Hornady .358 158 gr SWCHP swaged lead and 200x Hornady .430 240 gr SWCHP swaged lead from Grafs, to try in the Model 10 and my Model 624-3 as well.
    Those are bargains right now. Sooo tempting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

So since last post with my TC Hawken purchase I picked up another TC Hawken flintlock 25 year Anniversary model in .50.
    I also picked up a CVA percussion Kentucky in .50.
    I got rid of the Win 1885 in 6.5 Swede as it wasn’t accurate enough for me so I replaced it with a Tikka T3x in 6.5 Swede. And lastly I did a trade plus cash with a guy for a new TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmore. I haven’t tried this one out yet.

Page 60 of 132 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110 ... LastLast