Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Which should I get (next)?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • .357 Lever gun

30 52.63%
  • 9mm PPC

6 10.53%
  • Other

21 36.84%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma - what to lust after next

Boolit Buddy

Dilemma - what to lust after next

So, I've reached an age, and a collection size, where I don't need any more guns. But want is not need, and I still want a few more. Which one(s) varies on a somewhat frequent basis.

I also have a limited budget, in that I generally sell one I'm not using, or going to use, to finance one I will.

I currently have a 9mm on consignment at the fun store, which will hopefully yield about $350 - $400. That, plus some previous funds, gets me up around $700ish.

Part of me wants a .357 lever gun, but I'm thinking Marlin, as I'll need to put a peep sight on it. Can't see buckhorns anymore.

Another part of me is thinking of a Ruger PPC in 9mm.

Neither will see jacketed ammo, and either would just be another toy.

A friend has offered me a really nice Smith DA revolver in .45 ACP, and while I'd love having it, shooting it would cause me to not shoot my .45 ACP Blackhawk, or vice versa. I try to not have too many duplicates.

What say y'all? If a lever, please expand your vote by plugging your favorite brand, but remember my vision issues. If a different brand of 9mm PCC, again, please state why. Or, suggest something else to consider.

.357 lever gun?
    9mm PPC boolit hose?
    Other?

Boolit Grand Master
    Unless you have at least a 10 year supply of components, buying a new toy seems a poor use of resources.

Yep Debbie Downer Don….not what you want to hear.
    Don Verna

I thought I was done buying guns until the stars came together.
    Back when the ammo shortage hit really hard, I traded in a bunch of factory .223s and German surplus 7.62NATO.
    I could take the cash,,,, or,,,, if I spent the amount in the store, I didn't have to pay sales tax on the new stuff.

Who can resist that deal?

I ended up with a new Henry Golden Boy .22 and a unfired Ruger MK 1 target .22.
    I'm not sure, but they may be more fun to shoot than the big stuff.
    Especially the Henry.
    I can shoot it in the yard with CCI CB shorts, and the neighbors don't even look up to see what the noise was.

Other than that, I sure do like my Marlin .38/.357 carbine with a receiver sight.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Ruger PPC in 9mm, Browning 92 in 357, Marlin in 357 and a Winchester 1873 in 357. The Ruger is fun but I enjoy lever guns more. The Marlin is easy to red-dot or scope. In your shoe's I would pick the Marlin.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

I traded a trashed M1 carbine for a Marlin 1894C in 1999. Still the best firearm acquisition I’ve ever made. The rifle leaps to your shoulder and points like a finger. It fires a cartridge big enough you know it’s a center fire, but small enough to shoot all day even with age troubled joints. And the straight walled case means ammo falls from a progressive press at 400+ an hour.

I have a 9mm AR and I love to shoot falling steel with it. Lots of fun, but there’s no way I would give up my .357 Marlin for it.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

.357 lever action! Fun, Fun, Fun!

I have a Henry .357 lever action with Skinner peep and Skinner front blade sight.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

USMC 77, USRA 79

I just obtained a 357 ruger made Marlin, and I love it… Just saying. But your gunna need about 1100 bucks to make it yours..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for a Henry 357. Also, maybe get into something different. I'm starting to get together a collection of Winchesters available from 1900 to 1910. I think it was an interesting time of lever actions mixing with the first generation autoloaders.

Other, a Remington 513T is a fun, accurate, and affordable toy. .22Lr food, price for a nice one still hasn't surpassed $800. (around $650. seems to be about average right now). Genuine American walnut and blue steel quality from an era gone bye. A 513T will consume a lot of your time for not a lot of money.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cpaspr View Post
    I'm thinking Marlin, as I'll need to put a peep sight on it.
    Don't discount the Rossi 92. It's no problem to put a peep sight on it (preferably the traditional side mount such as the Williams 5d and FP), and its rifling is more suitable for cast bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taylor's & Co 1892 Alaskan Takedown.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	322802

Unfortunately, there is no lever gun out there worthwhile that is in your price range, and hasn't been for about 10 years now. However, if you are willing to spend,...this little lovely right here is sexy. Compact, cute and quiet (with a suppressor), this little pilot stow away .38/.357 carbine is tactical and practical, as well as giggle-inducing fun. Tis is Taylor's & Co. 1892 Alaskan Take-Down, made in both .44 and .357. The .44 version more common, and also sold under the Chiappa brand for less in their Wildlands series. But you'll end up paying $1600 for the Taylor's & Co. bright polished version, and about $1200 for the matte blued Chiappa version.
    Last edited by atfsux; 01-30-2024 at 03:50 PM.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Grand Master
    I voted for the .357 lever action mainly because I am trying to talk myself out of one.

For some strange reason an Uberti 1873 in .357/.38 Special has been in my thoughts the last few weeks. I have no earthly use for one, and at 59 my eyes don't really like iron sights anymore. But still I want one....

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I voted for the .357 lever action mainly because I am trying to talk myself out of one.
    You won't get much help with that here.

Friends don't let friends get talked out of getting guns.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I've tried to like lever actions, a lot, but, just can't do it. I would buy one, shoot it a bit, get tired of it and sell it.

PCC's just don't interest me as I don't 'plink'. If I wanted a carbine I'd get an AR, probably in 6.5Grendel.

But, if you think you'll like it, then buy one.

Not a .357, but I just purchasea a vintage 1912 - 1886 Winchester in 45-70 with a near mint bore. Just what my worn out shoulders need. Mostly an investment, but will also be a gun that I take to the desert and shoot on occasion.
    The 82nd Airborne Taught Us To Make the Rules Not Follow Them Like Sheeple

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Marlin but in .44 Mag.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all. Keep 'em coming.

Dverna - well, hard to tell exactly what 10 years worth of supplies is, but, yeah, I gots lots. Several thousand cases each of .38, .357 and 9mm. And not quite as much powder and primers, but enough. And lead. I have plenty of lead.

IG - I have a Remington 510 that was my dad's, and a 514 my wife bought for me. That's enough 5-teens for me. But thanks.

Tracy - I was looking at the Rossi 92, but are they drilled and tapped for the Williams side mount peeps?

Mk42 - Uberti? Hmm, I didn't look at those.

Most of my guns are in some version of .45–45acp-45colt-455/450 webley-45schofield- .45-60 so I can’t help much. I love my Marlin1894s and as they are easily scoped I would steer you that way. But if you were to shoot a mag or two from a well set up pcc ar you would enjoy it I'm sure.

It all depends on what the OP will use it for. He did not say about that . For a 9mm and a 38/357 mag you can use both cast boolits in it. just size it to what you like . For a lever . Within a budget, for me is the Rossi , but need to have work done on it but after it will be good . It all comes to how much you willing to spend and use it for.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast