Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp semi carbine choices

Boolit Master

45 acp semi carbine choices

I am interested in buying a 45 ACP semiautomatic carbine, and have about narrowed it down to either a High Point or JRC. This will be used primarily to hunt feral hogs at night, so I’ll probably put a thermal on it and restrict shots to 100 yds.

Anyone have either of these and can recommend one - or another choice?

TIA,

HW

Boolit Master
    Ruger has a 45 ACP carbine out now, might be an option as well. I have no experience with pistol caliber carbines, but like you, want one.

Boolit Master
    Oooh, I like that Ruger LC in 45! I was under the impression they were only making the 9mm version.

Boolit Grand Master
    HW, the trigger on my HiPoint is awful. No experience with other semiautomatic pistol caliber carbines.

One thing about the HiPoint, you will not worry about getting it beat up a bit. I have heard they have very good customer support.
    Don Verna

Love my Hipoint .45 carbine. It is IMO the most accurate of the 4 I have owned. .40sw and a pair of used 9mm's.

With a 2.5 moa red dot it was stacking holes at 100 yards once I had it zero'd. If you do get the HP do not miss picking up a couple of the Red Ball 20 round mags.
    2 20 round and 1 10 round mag will put 50 rounds down range in a hurry.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Another question to add to the thread: Is anyone still making such a thing that eats from 1911 magazines?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Somewhere over the rainbow…”

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Another question to add to the thread: Is anyone still making such a thing that eats from 1911 magazines?
    Here you go. https://mechtechsys.com/ccu-models/1911

I love mine in 45acp on a 1911 frame. For Hunting the 45 Super or the 460 Rowland would be my choice.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-05-2024 at 12:41 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy

Mech Tech .45 1911 add your frame and now it is a gun

Mech Tech google it,,,,not a gun until you put a 1911 frame in... a 2min. job Can also use glock frame,XD 1911 and another one frame
    blow back operated I shot one at a range a friend of a friend had. Very accurate. Can be had in 9mm,10mm and 45. Checked it out Doesn't stay open after last shot is fired Only thing I can negative about it. afish4570

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    My neighbor has a CCU for the Glock: he is extremely pleased with it.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    I have the Mech-Tech in .45 ACP and .460 Rowland both of which use standard 1911 mags. I picked up some 10-rounders that work dependably. The .460 with a 250-grain RNFP boolit is close enough to a .44 mag to not worry about it. Starline makes the brass and load data is available from the Rowland site. Both shoot fine with red dots. I got a couple of inexpensive Charles Daly 1911s, which are now dedicated setups. GF

Boolit Master

In 2018 I bought a High Point .45 acp Carbine the gun feeds about everything and is accurate with most of my reloads . When I bought it I thought it would make a great 100 yard pest control at night gun enough energy and not real loud. I scoped it and sighted it for 50 yards it is on at 25&50 yards and good to 70 yards then the cartridge just starts to drop like a rock . So unless I guess real good it is only a 70 yard gun in most usages .
    On the plus side my son has a 9mm carbine and one night here he had Coyotes following him around opening up on the with FMJ rounds made them squeal a lot but none were dropped all of them ran off well educated not to get close to people again which makes it harder for me to shoot them!

I am still using my old 180 series Ruger Mini 14 most of the time the .223 shoots flatter as I can get shots as far as 150 yards here .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Mold
    Macon Armory makes 45 acp uppers .I've had one for years now and it has fed even big hollow points.

Boolit Master

In another thread a guy posted a conversion kit for the Hipoint to accept 1911 magazines. If I had one in .45acp that is the way I would go. I have a 9mm and am very happy with it. While it is not the prettiest thing, it just works. It also doesn't break the bank buying one.

Boolit Master
    TNW firearms is making a 1911 magazine version of their aero survival rifle.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Anyone looked at the CMMG carbines - They look like AR's but I think they operate differently
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    HW, the trigger on my HiPoint is awful. No experience with other semiautomatic pistol caliber carbines.

One thing about the HiPoint, you will not worry about getting it beat up a bit. I have heard they have very good customer support.
    Thanks Don - good to know. I'm smacking my lips at that Ruger platform. They are running $1000 right now but are new to the market in '24 so I'll start watching prices.

Boolit Master
    My 45 ACP Mech Tech CCU with dedicated LW Timberwolf (G21) lower is fantastic.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

I’ve got several ar45s built with Olympic and CMMG barrels and bcgs. If you already have an ar lower or think you might get one eventually build yourself a pcc ar and then get a 223/22lr/blkout upper for it later.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    I’ve got several ar45s built with Olympic and CMMG barrels and bcgs. If you already have an ar lower or think you might get one eventually build yourself a pcc ar and then get a 223/22lr/blkout upper for it later.
    A good suggestion IMO. I nearly went that route when I was looking for a 9mm carbine. i already had an AR so the cost with mags was about $550-600.

There was a promotion on the HiPoint for $325 with three extra 20 rd mags and went that way.

One issue was I wanted a "tractor gun". Something I could leave in the tractor all the time.

HW, I would look at it the conversions hard if you already have an AR or may get one in the future. It would make neat range toy as well. The question then becomes, "Is there a better hog caliber than a .45ACP in an AR?" A .300 Hammer or .350 Legend seems better for hog hunting unless you intend to add a suppressor. You might regret the limited range of the .45 ACP.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast