RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Bought a new to me gently used Savage 112 22-250, range report.

Boolit Master

Bought a new to me gently used Savage 112 22-250, range report.

I was in a LGS the other day, don't frequent it to often because they focus on Tacticool stuff, but every now and then I can buy a good deal on a regular rifle someone has traded in and they have them priced right. Saturday I stopped in, looking for a .204 of some type but none was to be had. Guy behind the counter said wait a second, I got this in trade thsoe other day, and he pulls out a Savage 112, with a tan/marble type stock that I had not seen, it had a 26" varmint weight 22-250 barrel on it. Removed the bolt and the barrel was a little dirty, but shined, had crisp rifling right up to the throat, which looked good. He ran a bore scope and the throat was pristine. It had a Nikon 4x12 which I will put on another build I just finished. I asked him his price, made a counter offer, and he asked me, Cash? I replied yes and got it pretty cheap. Brought it home, swapped out the scope for a new Athlon Talos 6x24 power scope, cleaned the barrel, checked to make sure the barrel was floated and the stock is pillar bedded. I zeroed it in 5 shots from 25 to 100 yds. I was using a old load I had worked up over 30 years ago, using 53 gr Sierras BTHP's, and IMR3031. First 3 shot group was .275, got to love that for a bone stock factory rifle. I sent TBG some pics he might post them in a day or two.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations!!!
    That's pretty amazing for out of the gate results!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Koger gets all the neat guns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I wore out this new rifles twin a couple of years ago, shot it for nearly 30 years, was no rifling left the first inch of the barrel and it would shoot around 1-1 1/4", after thousands of rounds. I can usually get 1/2" or better out of a Savage with a good barrel, I have a 243 that will shoot nearly this good with 3 different loads, and a .223 Hog hunter that shoots bullets from 50 gr V max to 69 BTHPs in tiny cloverleaf's. Of course I have been loading for over 40 years and have good data/loads for nearly all std rounds.

Boolit Grand Master
    I for one am not surprised that a Savage 110 series rifle shoots well, I'm more surprised when someone reports one that won't group under 1½".

Forty plus years ago a buddy and I just about wore out a Remington 700 in .22-250 shooting 52-53 grain Match HP propelled by 3031 at coyotes. Flatbase or boattail didn't seem to matter, nor did the color of the box.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sweet! Would love to have one of those rebored/barrelled to .250-3000.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.