Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Savage 6400

Boolit Master

Savage 6400

I know a guy that has a Savage Model 6400 in 30-30 and he wants to sell it or trade. I have O knowledge about the 6400. Anybody own or has owned one and can school me a little bit. I prefer experience and hands own, not hearsay/I read type of knowledge. James

Boolit Master
    I don't own one, but they seem to be a nicer 340. They use a threaded barrel like the 340, same as the newer 110 and Axis models. The bottom metal is the same and they are removeable mag fed. If nice, maybe $500 max.

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage 640 bolt gun in 30-30. Assuming they are the same but likely Savage sold the rights to a covey of them to a distribution entity.
    She shoots sub 2 MOA with 172gr cast with a gas check. Factory ammunition is also pretty accurate.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Well I hesitated while I gathered info on the 6400 and it sold for $500.00 to another guy. Story of my life. james

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Well I hesitated while I gathered info on the 6400 and it sold for $500.00 to another guy. Story of my life. james
    James, a new Axis II is $500. It will be a better gun, and in .308will do anything a .30/30 will do with cheaper brass.

I was going to buy one to back up my .308, but it looks like I will be getting mu son’s .308.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Don, Actually the appeal to the little Savage was that a friend that I hunted deer with a couple of times carried one in 30-30 and I kinda liked the idea then as now. His was a 30-30. He was an old WW II combat vet and he shot a 30-06 Springfield for years after the war and then switched to the 30-30 when he started getting a little age on him. It was a nostalgia thing mostly. james

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Don, Actually the appeal to the little Savage was that a friend that I hunted deer with a couple of times carried one in 30-30 and I kinda liked the idea then as now. His was a 30-30. He was an old WW II combat vet and he shot a 30-06 Springfield for years after the war and then switched to the 30-30 when he started getting a little age on him. It was a nostalgia thing mostly. james
    Understand perfectly. Hope you find another one.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Savage/Stevens made a lot of those. The basic model was the Savage 340, also marketed as the Models 325, 840 and I just learned from this thread 6400. Probably a bunch of store branded rifles too.

I've had a couple of them; they tend to be fairly accurate, maybe not Remington 788 accurate, but definitely useable.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    James, a new Axis II is $500. It will be a better gun, and in .308will do anything a .30/30 will do with cheaper brass.

I was going to buy one to back up my .308, but it looks like I will be getting mu son’s .308.
    This 100%. Much as I love the old stuff and wood/steel, the new crop of "cheap" rifles is just hard to beat for the practical hunter. I think of the Axis as today's 788, a low cost rifle that can embarrass more expensive ones. I have two of them in .308 and they are great. The Ruger American is excellent too, got one in 5.56.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.