Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    "I almost miss the little sculptures my drip-o-matic makes"

Now THAT is funny! Admittedly, you need to have used a "drip-o-matic" to appreciate it.
    I thought the little sculptures were cute, but, I don't miss the things at all. Getting a ProMelt has made my casting much, much more enjoyable. I used that *$%^#@ Lee for nearly two years threatening to give up casting every time I tried to cast. It was a constant battle fiddling with the temp and spout trying to stop the drip and maintain a usable temp. The ProMelt solved the problems. I just plug it up lay a mold on it and when mold is up to temp, alloy is too. It holds a good steady temp until you add another ingot, then it takes about 4-5 minutes to be casting again.
    A bumble bee is considerable faster than a John Deere tractor

Boolit Buddy
    I am also a member of the Lee, switched to Pro Melt fraternity. Maybe I am just not very nostalgic, but I do not miss the sculptures or the plugged nozzle or the recovery or ...................... Don't get me wrong, I put a lot of lead thru the Lee and for the money, think it is a great buy, but after using the RCBS, it would be VERY hard to go back.

I cast a lot of 500 grain bullets and the recovery time was terrible. I solved that problem with a cheap hot plate and a 4 qt cast iron pot, with cover. I pre-melted with the hot plate and did not let the casting pot got below half full.

The Pro-Melt was laying on the garage floor of a gunsmith friend of mine one day. I assume he had taken it in trade on something, and he sold it to me so cheap, I would be embarrassed to admit what I paid. I still use the hot plate to premelt, have added a PID and do not let the Pro Melt get lower than 1/3 down. I can cast the big bullets almost non stop and keep a temp of + or - degrees.

Add me to the list that gives praise to RCBS customer service. At the risk of getting flamed by those who think the company that makes the blue equipment (and yes, I do have two of their presses and other equipment made by them and think the guy that owns them is a marketing genius) I will rate RCBS above them. The reason the blue company has such a good CS rep, is that most folks who own them have called CS and gotten free repair stuff. I have presses, powder scales, powder measures, primer tools, pot, lube sizer, sizers, molds and a couple dozen of their dies. I have been using RCBS stuff for about 50 years and have had to call their CS dept, maybe three times. Their stuff is lower priced and so well engineered and made, that you seldom need to call them, but when you do, they are impossible to beat.

Jackpine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 7 View Post
    Actually, the cost difference is double!
    I can purchase 6.2 Lee 4/20 pots ($63.99 each) for the price of 1 RCBS Pro Melt.
    I have 2 Lee 4/20 pots (running for 7 years now) and 1 Lyman Mag 25 (Running for 3 months). The Lyman has a built in PID and I built a PID for my Lee pots.
    The Lyman IS superior to the Lee pots, however it also costs more: $63.99 verses $225.00
    I'll still use my lee pot for alloying and melting sprue plates. Got tired of getting my hand dripped on by the lead constantly. Even with a glove that gets hot!

Boolit Master
    Finaly got to play with my new pot tonight. It works great, def going to need a hot plate, the ring around the pot doesnt get as hot as my lee dipper pot does. it was my first time using a bottom pour. If you start out with the pour limiter wide open the splash back is terrifying I got the pour and mould height set right for my NOE 360-180 and was making nice bullets then swapped over to my lee 475-400 mould them big bullets are def going to take a little more practice to get right. Went to pour a few more with my NOE mould and some ******* set it down on a candle and no amount of cleaning could get it to throw unwrinkled bullets, gunna take a few heat cycles to get it to act right again.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I have two Lee Drip Master X's, and a Lyman Mould Master XX. I use the Drip Masters to keep the Lyman fed.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

I have an old Lyman that I am thinking about sending back for the up grades,need to contact Lyman, it is stating to need TLC every time you use it.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive got two of them. there great pots. A GIANT step up from a lee pot.

I totally agree!

Boolit Buddy
    Well after all the reading and not being lucky enough to find a used steal like others stumble on the Midway flyer
    had them on sale with a free shipping code plus the rebate and I figured it was the best I was gonna do.
    Guess I'll find out how bad my Lees were , Have 2 and just worked around the drips and used sprues and
    dialing as a PID - worked for me since I'm not that good of caster or handgun shot but still got passible slugs.
    After 25+yrs of playing with this stuff I figured I'd give it a try.
    Boy this place costs some money

Boolit Grand Master

Just remember, Fernando, it's money well spent! Stumbling across deals sometimes takes years. A good sale will put it on your bench in a few days and you'll be using it, not looking for it.
    Got my ProMelt back today, pretty happy with my investment. Complete rebuild apparently consisted of a new power switch, temp control, heating element, pot, valve, hardware and insulation. Should work just as well as the new one sitting on my bench now, just lots more character.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

if it cost 10 times what a lee pot cost it would still be worth it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 7 View Post
    Actually, the cost difference is double!
    I can purchase 6.2 Lee 4/20 pots ($63.99 each) for the price of 1 RCBS Pro Melt.
    I have 2 Lee 4/20 pots (running for 7 years now) and 1 Lyman Mag 25 (Running for 3 months). The Lyman has a built in PID and I built a PID for my Lee pots.
    The Lyman IS superior to the Lee pots, however it also costs more: $63.99 verses $225.00

Boolit Buddy
    The big brown truck is due today - smelted some fresh alloy yesterday and have a new accurate mould to run
    through it's paces.
    My green stuff has always been quality and have no doubts this will be nice.
    Going to try my hand at making some lube while I wait for the delivery dude.
    Should be a happy day

Started out with a coleman stove and a RCBS 5 LB pot. Changed up to a electric furnace from Lyman out of the 60's. Once again changed up to the RCBS Pro-Melt. Love that machine. They aren't cheep but the kids have all moved away and I have a little more time and money than I use too. Looking into a PID. Maybe this winter when I do most of my casting. My rule is to cast all winter and shoot all summer.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master

Plenty of time to research and buy/build a PID between now and "casting season". My new Pro Melt seems to maintain a pretty steady temp. I know the PID does a better job but just haven't talked myself into it.
    Still haven't put my refurbed pot back together, maybe next weekend.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Plenty of time to research and buy/build a PID between now and "casting season". My new Pro Melt seems to maintain a pretty steady temp. I know the PID does a better job but just haven't talked myself into it.
    Still haven't put my refurbed pot back together, maybe next weekend.
    lmao I guess all texans call it quit when the heat gets above 100f. I'll be waiting until I shoot through my supply until I cast again. Unless I get a new mold or am dying to try a different load...

Boolit Master
    I only got to play with mine one time but I really liked it. Got a buck of home renovations taking up all my time rite now.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast my first lead slug out of a Lee pot more than 40 years ago, been using then ever since... until a year ago.
    Found a ProMelt on the 'bay for a great price "for parts."
    When it arrived, I opened it up, put a wire back on the power switch and Bingo!!!

Wish I'd found it 40 years ago. Sure helps a body appreciate a great product!

Boolit Bub
    Is a PID really that huge of an improvement on the pre melt? Haven't used mine yet, but was hoping to get by for awhile without one.

No. You really don't need one with the Pro Melt. It is nice though.

Boolit Master
    Not necessarily on the promelt, but I bought mine for my Lee 4-20 and just carried it over. It certainly makes a difference on my toaster oven for keeping it consistent. Really helps me dial in the temp on some molds, as my h&g prefers to run hotter than the Lee molds.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Not necessarily on the promelt, but I bought mine for my Lee 4-20 and just carried it over. It certainly makes a difference on my toaster oven for keeping it consistent. Really helps me dial in the temp on some molds, as my h&g prefers to run hotter than the Lee molds.
    that is good to know. Still haven't gotten the oven yet, but soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12