Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Pro Melt

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS Pro Melt

Had some moulds to break in today and remembered I had a new RCBS Pro Melt sitting to the side of the loading room. Awhile back I decided to see what all the fuss was about when Midway offered a slightly damaged one for a huge cost savings. Didn't see the dent in the side at first, it's on the far side when I cast so I'll never see it.
    Decided today was the day so I unpacked and assembled the new furnace. All went pretty well and in a few minutes I had it plugged in and melting lead. Seems to melt lead a bit faster than my Lee furnaces but it's hard to say. I liked the pour control and after I got it adjusted for the flow rate I wanted I was pretty pleased with the results. I like being able to see the nozzle and watch things a little better. Cast about 120 keepers from my new NOE 312299 in a couple of quick sessions, cull rate a bit high but not surprised with new mould & furnace.
    I almost miss the little sculptures my drip-o-matic makes but I'll learn to deal with it, lol.
    Bottom line, is it three times as good as a Lee? I dunno, was pretty happy with the Lee and this is my first session with the RCBS. Temp seems a bit slow to adjust after adding lead but that's probably just subjective. Overall, I like it. I have an older Pro-Melt (gift from a friend) and I'll be shipping it back for repairs tomorrow. When it gets back I'll have dedicated pots for a different alloys.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmm....temp seems to be off about 50 degrees.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I converted mine to pull down to open which is way better for me.
    also built a PID for it and it holds the temp right on now
    did build a wooden stand for it to sit on so I can see spout and top of mold. Much better that way and PID sits in the stand
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I added a PID to mine. Temps are much better and more consistent.
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    I have one ordered should be here soon. Gunna be miserable casting Temps out in shop once it finally gets here tho

Guys buy the alu cover and the mold tray I believe I bought it from a fellow here ..good stuff ..
    The only problems I have is the monster 45-70 boolits . The controller is your best friend ..
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4719dave View Post
    Guys buy the alu cover and the mold tray I believe I bought it from a fellow here ..good stuff ..
    The only problems I have is the monster 45-70 boolits . The controller is your best friend ..

I'll continue to pour the big ones. Tell me about the cover and tray.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...41#post3214241

I found that the Lee is noticeably faster at melting lead.

Boolit Grand Master

You will enjoy that ProMelt! The only thing that I miss from my old 10# Lyman is that the mold heated up better sitting on the side of the Lyman's cast iron liner than on the ProMelts stainless one. Gotta get a hot plate.

In Remembrance

I believe that I have solved the pre-heat cycle on the molds before casting starts. I came across a 8" square cast iron flat skillet with low sides in a thrift shop. I place the skillet on the 10" steel plate square on the old hot plate. With the burner set on high I can pre-heat a 5 or 6 hole mold much easier than the several ways I have tried in the past.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Just realized I sort of got a twofer on my new Pro-Melt. Sent in the rebate coupon ($75) and the cost to refurbish the old Pro-Melt is $100. If you count shipping costs I figure the second furnace cost me about as much as a Lee bottom pour. The old furnace has already outlasted two casters, I suspect it will outlast me as well. I suspect it's poured many thousands of boolits, hoping the guys in Oroville can tell me when it was made.

Boolit Grand Master

Got a call from a nice lady @ RCBS today. They just wanted to touch base with me (and went to the trouble to find my corporate office's phone number) and go over a few things. I was a bit worried when she apologized for bringing me some bad news. It seems the guy who responded to my earlier e-mail forgot to tell me I needed to add sales tax to the repair price, their invoicing software won't allow them to adjust things. Silly me, I thought she was going to tell me my pot wasn't repairable.
    I have dozens (and dozens) of RCBS products but have had few opportunities to avail myself to their CS folks. Once again, RCBS rocks!

Boolit Master
    buddy told me mine showed up and is waiting for me but i delt with sick kids all day and didnt get mine picked up.

Boolit Grand Master

Take care of the kiddos, Mica. It's an awesome furnace but it can wait. Won't be able to focus on it until the kids start feeling better anyway.

Banned

ive got two of them. there great pots. A GIANT step up from a lee pot.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee pot only holds a little over #15 of alloy and is 700 watts. The RCBS holds #22 of alloy and is 800 watts. Yes, I did empty the pot and add alloy that was weighed to determine the weight they hold.
    A few years back RCBS changed suppliers for the commercial grade thermostat and it does have a fairly wide temperature range from on to off. Two of these new thermostats that I installed in my RCBS pot had about a 40 degree range. The old one had about a 10 degree range before it went bad after over 30 years.
    I spoke with the supervisor at RCBS about this and told him that I made pid controllers and sold several because of the new thermostat. He said he would look into it but I don't know if he did or not.
    Might want to check the temperature range on your pot.

Boolit Master
    "I almost miss the little sculptures my drip-o-matic makes"

Now THAT is funny! Admittedly, you need to have used a "drip-o-matic" to appreciate it.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    Picked my pro melt up today, don't know when I'll get a chance to fire it up tho, had a fiasco with my mower today that had me running around parts shopping for 3 hours, getting ready for my daughters t-ball game, then start my work week tomorrow.

Boolit Buddy

Actually, the cost difference is double!
    I can purchase 6.2 Lee 4/20 pots ($63.99 each) for the price of 1 RCBS Pro Melt.
    I have 2 Lee 4/20 pots (running for 7 years now) and 1 Lyman Mag 25 (Running for 3 months). The Lyman has a built in PID and I built a PID for my Lee pots.
    The Lyman IS superior to the Lee pots, however it also costs more: $63.99 verses $225.00

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive got two of them. there great pots. A GIANT step up from a lee pot.

I'm looking forward to having a second Pro-Melt. Won't be retiring the Lee pots as the standard pot will work well for ladle casting 20-1 BPCR boolits, Drip-O-Matic for custom blends or pure lead. I think the old PM will run 50/50 and the new one WW's. Filling the pot with alloy after a casting session seems more efficient than filling it before you can start. I need to finish my lead shed; running out of room in my loading room, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast