RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: need silhouette load for 38-55 250gn bullet

Boolit Bub

need silhouette load for 38-55 250gn bullet

hi folks,
    i have a marlin 336 cb in 38-55, 24" barrel, which i plan on using silhouettes. plan is to use around 250gn bullet, around 1300-1500 fps, which rnfn bullet would be best, and which powder? thanks...dancast
    ps...may have to purchase to try.

Boolit Grand Master

WHat powder do you want to shoot, Black powder or smokless? How far are these shilouettes ranges going to be ( standard is 100-500yds). You may find that 250 is on the light side for the longer ranges. Im working with my first 38-55 a highwall with 30" barrel 1-12 twist. I working with 2 bullets currently the 335 lyman postell style and a 365 grn Old West Nasa Bullet. Im running 42 grns of 2f olde ensford powder. a .060 napa rubber fiber wad compressed to seating depth of bullet. This load is giving 1160 fps with the lyman bullet and 1120 fps with the old west. Before jumping in on the heavy weights you need to know what twist your barrel has in it, These bullets Im using are 1.3" and 1.45" long respectivly. Thses bullets loads may be to long for the lever action also. For 300-500 yds use as heavy a bullet as your gun will shoot accuratly. For moulds the lyman 335 grn , Old West Moulds has a good selection, ( you have to e-mail and He will send pics of what you request to you), Accurate or noe may have some, or you can go the custom routle from Brooks or some others and get just what you want.

I have had good results with 4198 and the Lee - 379-250 FN; 18 grs is a nice mild load in the low 1,400's in 24" Win M 94. (44 mag power level) The .379-250 Lee mold is one of my favorite molds including custom molds. For more velocity I have found RL-7 works well.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh and feel free to PM me

Boolit Bub
    hi folks,
    our silhouette targets are full size, shot at 50-100-150-200 yards, looking to use smokeless powder. thanks for the info, looking for more loads....dancast

Boolit Bub
    Not sure if your talking lever gun silhouette [200m] or BPCR [500m]? In my Marlin CB 38-55 I run a Ranchdog 235gr on top of 18grs of IMR4759 and a 1/4" plug of floral foam.Very accurate and easily takes down a 200m ram.FWIW Mike.

Banned

9.5grs of unique.

Boolit Master

I'm shooting a 255 grain out of my legendary frontiersman over 10 grains of trail boss. It's the most that will fit in the case, leaving 1/8" free space under the bullet. Shoots really nice - you can shoot this one all day, yet still reliably knock down rams.