MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Specific Vaseline formula

Boolit Bub

Specific Vaseline formula

I made a batch of the 666+1 lube a while back and from what I remembered it called for a specific Vaseline formula type, something about the older formula? I did look on the posts again and all I could find was the recipe just stating Vaseline. If this makes any sense, is there a specific Vaseline I should be using? thanks.

Banned

the discussion about Vaseline would have centered on how it has changed.
    it used to be full of various carbon chains and leftover paraffin waxes.
    anything new is hydrocracked down to a pretty specific formula which robs it of certain tendency's it had.
    your gonna get what you get anymore unless you find it from some third world refinery operating the old way.

it doesn't affect the lube all that much except under a few conditions, the change to the 666 [+1] lube is to help offset the loss.

Boolit Bub
    Maybe that was what the discussion was about, couldn't remember which I used. So is there any difference in using the name brand or econo brand? thanks

Moderator Emeritus

I would suggest you use the generic version from the dollar store, or similar, that is labeled as "white petrolatum" as opposed to a name brand...typically name brand "Vaseline" has other ingredients such as fragrances and such, that aren't needed for a boolit lube and may be detrimental. You are better off if you find one with no other ingredients.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Hmmm,any body have the original recipe? I've kinda changed my lubes a few times hard to remember the original with out checking first,I don't trust my memory much any more,I need to make up some lube cookies.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

As far as boolit lube it should work pretty much the same. For health uses, there is a vast difference in brands. Some are almost like a waste chemical while others are almost like the name brand Vaseline product.
    I found a 64 oz jar of Vaseline brand over 3 years ago and use it for everything.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, I will go with the generic brand stuff.

Banned

the cheaper the better.
    I bought some 8 oz jars for something like 89 cents a couple of years back to make my simple lube with.
    I actually think it does better than the higher dollar name brand [clear] stuff.
    it's yellow and waxy [and cheap]

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Hmmm,any body have the original recipe? I've kinda changed my lubes a few times hard to remember the original with out checking first,I don't trust my memory much any more,I need to make up some lube cookies.
    the original 666+1 recipe ?
    it's right in the title
    6oz parafin
    6oz vaseline
    6oz beeswax
    1oz ivory soap

I didn't take much time searching for the procedure, but found this fairly quickly
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-1-frustration

I've never made this lube, but I've made other soap lubes, this is how I'd go about it.
    I'd heat/blend parafin/vaseline, then add soap (in thin slivers), stir as it bubbles, stir til it's clearish yellow.
    then I'd add the beeswax (I'd have it pre-melted and ready to pour in), stir then cool it quickly.
    that's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

let the ivory do the bubble up and foam thing.
    and stir while the little chunks break down.
    once they are gone then throw in the beeswax [chunks or slivers work best if you don't have it pre-melted]
    take it off the heat and keep stirring, put it on, and take it off, as needed to get the wax melted.
    once it's melted keep it hot for just a minute while stirring then pour out to cool.

the vaseline melts at 110 the paraffin at 120 and the beeswax at 150.
    the 110 and 120 are melt points.
    they can take more heat without scorching the beeswax can't take a whole lot more than melt point [180 or so]
    with those melt points you can clearly see this is not a hot weather lube.