Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm addicted to lead!

I'm addicted to lead!

I had to get some tires for a semi trailer today, couldn'the pass up 2 buckets of wheel weights @ $.20 a pound. One bucket had a bunch of Fe stickies on top? I really thought I had enough 'stashed'! I love this hobby! Flyer

Boolit Mold
    Same here Flyer, picked up a little over 100lbs for $20. Sorted it this evening about 14 lbs of steel and junk and about 6lbs of zinc.
    Wally

Banned

Fe is steel.
    probably still come out pretty good when you get it all sorted.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Around me, the ratio of Fe/Zn to Pb alloy is now over 60% garbage. Time for me to stop messing with dirty old COWW's even when free. I now buy all my pure alloys from scrap yards and mix my needs from there. Never been happier. Glad some are still finding an acceptable ratio of Pb to carp. I have enough COWW ingots stashed away (from the good olde daze) for the rest of my shooting life.

Good pickings of COWW's will not last long, thanks to the tree kissers and owl huggers, so make hay while the sun shines.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, a caster never stops looking for lead. I am another that thinks you should get it when you can. I probably have 1200# waiting to be smelted and my neck still turns when I go by a tire store!

Boolit Grand Master

Collecting WWs is indeed an addiction. With more than a lifetime supply I still picked one up in an intersection amid honking horns this morning.
    Has everybody lost their patients? It only took about 35 seconds, and I got in the car and drove away.
    Been at it since the "60 with no plans to stop. When I get too old to drive, it'll give me more time to look and holler "Hold on a sec".
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Yeah, a caster never stops looking for lead. I am another that thinks you should get it when you can. I probably have 1200# waiting to be smelted and my neck still turns when I go by a tire store!
    Yep, just today I picked up another 385 lbs of mixed lino, mono, foundry, from a printer that I have got lead from previously. Don't need it, have about 3000 lbs, but when ever guys call & say they have some & do I want it, I gota say sure!

I think I'm at 1200+ pounds now. I bought another 240 lbs of isotope lead today. I'm stopping here. I hope!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    6622729 "I'm stopping here. I hope!" Nah, you're not!!!!! not ever, it's a disease! hahahaha!!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Bub
    Wonderful hobby. I have all the lead I will ever need, but one local shop refuses to convert to hippy COWW, so i still stop in regularly and bring them donuts.....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    6622729 "I'm stopping here. I hope!" Nah, you're not!!!!! not ever, it's a disease! hahahaha!!!
    Well, I'm going to try anyhow. Picked up 10 lbs of 50/50 solder in ingots this morning so I'm not doing too good about stopping. Lol.

...and since the time I said I was going to quit adding to my stack. I bought that 10lbs of 50/50 I mentioned in the previous post and have now added 31lbs of lead and 20 pounds of pewter. I have to get a handle on this. It IS an addition!

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds as if your handling it about like the rest of us. It's just part of the inheritance my kids will have to deal with.
    I have asked a friend to help them with values and distribution when the time comes.
    Glad I won't have to deal with it.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    lol yeah, my stockpile slowly grows over time as well. I just started buying double to replace what I used and it added up in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    lol yeah, my stockpile slowly grows over time as well. I just started buying double to replace what I used and it added up in no time.
    Yeah my kids are going to inherit some crazy stuff. I just hope I can document for them the value of some of the things they'll be left to deal with.

In regards to the lead stack, there have been so many opportunities recently for me for some exceptionally clean alloy and alloying materials that I just can't help myself. I shot 3 1/2 pounds of COWW lead in 9mm yesterday (200 rounds) so I felt compelled to replace it with 31# of ingotized battery intercell connector alloy. I'll never use up what I have at the rate I'm going. Lol.

Boolit Master
    you don't have to feed it or do any maintenance to keep it around. Just tying up cash in a different vehicle. Besides with the S&S forum here or ebay you could easily liquidate it back out if you so chose. Like most things firearm related I would rather have more than enough than not enough. Lead seems to be a more stable price than silver or gold too .

Hello all! whats a fair price for BUYING range lead dug out of the pistol berm per pound? thanks for any help. gd
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Quote Originally Posted by gandydancer View Post
    Hello all! whats a fair price for BUYING range lead dug out of the pistol berm per pound? thanks for any help. gd
    Depends on what it is and what form it's offered in. Personally I have zero interest in smelting. Too much work, too much time, too much exposure to lead. I'll buy clean range lead in alloy form. I'd say a reasonable price in cleaned ingot form right now in a typical 10 brinell range is between $1.20-$1.50lb.

I too am addicted but I temper it by balancing the amount of metal with the proper number of primers. Lots of folks will be sitting on pile of metal and powder but will need primers. I remember when the current individual gained the WH primers and 22 LR became scarce while powder of different varieties as well as bullets were available. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by JMax; 05-05-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMax View Post
    I too am addicted but I temper it by balancing the amount of metal with the proper number of primers. Lots of folks will be sitting on pile of metal and powder but will need primers. I remember when the current individual gained the WH primers ans 22 LR became scarce while powder of different varieties as well as bullets were available. Just my opinion.
    I'm good on both powder and primers but I have been planning to place an order for both anyhow. I've noticed much improved availability of both but I won't be lulled into a false sense of security. The situation could change overnight. Availability I mean, I'm not a prepper so that was not a reference to the anticipated end of the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast