Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooling an ingot mold

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I've found six ingot moulds (four Lyman, two NOE) and a few concrete pavers give the ingots time to cool. I don't try to smelt around here in the summer time, I'd need another dozen moulds, lol.
    10-4 on summer casting sessions. that's what our 2 week winter is for

I'll chime in with concrete floors as good heatsinks
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

32'by50' concrete heat sink. It's all in the ratio.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Well............ I do not spend money on:
    boats
    jet skis
    snow skis
    camping stuff
    sports stuff
    golf clubs
    race cars
    drinks in bars
    women of the night

So why not spend it on my hobbies?!?!?!?!

Many use kitchen utencils with great success. I just prefer not to use them.

And "you can't take it with you"! I have yet to see a casket with side pockets. HA....ha

banger
    Noticed you left out tobacco-is that significant?
    Just askin'
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I use thrift store, kitchen bread pans or something that make 3lb-ers or so. I line up maybe 6 or 8 in a flat, short sided, tray and pour water in the pan from a gallon jug. It sounds angry but no problems so far.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Noticed you left out tobacco-is that significant?
    Just askin'
    Bill

I have never been addicted to the demon tobacco plant, so it did not even cross my mind.

banger

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    I use thrift store, kitchen bread pans or something that make 3lb-ers or so. I line up maybe 6 or 8 in a flat, short sided, tray and pour water in the pan from a gallon jug. It sounds angry but no problems so far.
    I do same, but with muffin tins in a tin serving tray - ladle in about 2 lbs lead in each pocket - then carefully flood the serving tray using the Mrs.'s plant watering spout - slide the tray full of boiling water away, tip out the lead muffins, dry and repeat

Boolit Grand Master

I made enough out of 2x2 angle I could pour 3-4 pound ingots and the first poured were in 4 ingot gangs would be cool well before the last was being poured. I could run 300 lbs of lead off dumping one and fill dump next and fill once all were filled. The angle iron ingot moulds were welded up on the outside then fine blasted with walnut hulls to give a fine smooth finish. My problem was getting all those ingots ID stamped before the next pot was ready to flux and start pouring. I used a 2 hand home made ladle that held enough to fill one gang in a full dip. The angle iron had large spaces between the vees and air circulation did fine. I would set them on a couple racks I had made that was basically 2 12" tall rails welded up from 1/4" X 1" flat stock these allowed alot of air circulation and hot air rising pulled cool air behind it to allow a vented spot under them. They cooled pretty well. I believe I had 10 of these made up. I would drop them on a garden wagon with a grated bottom. Allowed further cooling and made moving them around easier.

Boolit Master
    I've herd a ceramic tile works good as a heat sink but I've never tried it.

Boolit Buddy
    Put your garden hose 20 ft away, walk over with the hot molds give them a 1-2 second shot of water, they will steam but remain hot enough to evaporate any water left over. Make sure handles stay tight!!

Boolit Master
    I set my molds in a cookie sheet full of water then fill the mold. They solidify real quick.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    10-4 on summer casting sessions. that's what our 2 week winter is for

I'll chime in with concrete floors as good heatsinks
    Except this past winter didn't have many days where it wasn't raining (I cast outside. Maybe I should clean up the barn and cast there like I used to decades ago - before decades of stuff got stuffed in the barn?).
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

+1 for having the cookie sheet full of water. I usually pour 60# of ingots at a time, and only have 1 Lyman mold. This is the only way to do it with reasonable quickness. Also....check your temperature, dialing down the flame quite a bit helps speed things up.

Boolit Master

I use a cookie sheet with a towel, soaking wet, and can put 5 Lyman-type ingot molds on it. By the time I have topped off the 5th one (flooded, for 5 lb'er), the first one is ready to dump. Pick up (wearing cheap Costco leather gloves), bang on bench, repeat. Replace on towel, and cast about 4 more, and the dutch oven is empty.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12