WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: What size gas checks?

What size gas checks?

I am casting .403 bullets from a NOE mold, they're great. I ordered from NOE gas checks which are .410. They fit the base of the bullets well, but since I'm sizing down to .401 it takes a lot of effort to get the bullet through the sizer. Without the gas check they slide through pretty easily. I believe the copper checks are .030 . Am I using the right gas check?

Interests include Fly Fishing, Archery, Shooting and many more. British Military Veteran.

Go to vulcancheck. Com. He has different size gas checks for just about every caliber. He is also a member here.

Moderator Emeritus

something is wrong???

It sounds like your are putting a 41 cal GC on a 40 cal plain base boolit, and then sizing it to 40 cal...which may work, but would take significant effort, as you said. I'm not sure what your goal is, but no doubt you are deforming the boolit when you are swaging that GC to 40 cal., the more you deform it, the less accurate it will be ...and maybe break the press?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I'd check to see about a different sized check but ...to use the ones you have more easily suggest lubing the edges with imperial sizing wax ( every two or three oughta do it )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

The mold I am using is for a gas check. I tried vulcancheck.com but the search engine can't find that web site.

Interests include Fly Fishing, Archery, Shooting and many more. British Military Veteran.

Moderator Emeritus

I guess my thinking is what is wrong...sorry

Lubing them as fryboy suggests should help.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

btw, Vulcan is a vendor sponsor here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...can-Gas-Checks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, I found his site but unfortunately he doesn't show gas checks in .401 size

Moderator Emeritus

I think you have the correct GC, judging by Blammer's board
    He lists a 40 cal BSS (410P2) Gator Gas Checks for Shanks up to .378
    and mentions they fit NOE's 40 cal molds.
    http://gaschecks.castpics.net/index....products_id=13
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOE's website offers a gas check that says it is for .40 and .41 caliber, so the extra lubricant should make it work.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Boolit Bub
    I know it's a extra step but what about annealing them. I read some where on the forum someone did it to make it fit. Maybe someone can expand on it.

What size gas checks?

My boolits go through the Lee sizer without much problem without the gator gas checks, however, when I put a gas check on it takes a lot of force together it through the sizer. I'm applying Lee ALOX first of course. The finished sized boolit looks great all shiny around the lands on the boolit and on the copper gas check. I'm thinking the gas checks are just to thick, but the NOE mold is designed for them. I'm off to test for leading very soon using both gas checked boolits an then some that are plain without the check. I'm just interested in plinking so boolits without checks are fine by me as long as I don't get the leading that I have already experienced with my 10mm Glock.

I've just looked at the Gator website. http://gaschecks.castpics.net/index....products_id=13 and the .40 gas checks are described as "very thick" so that confirms my problem. I can't seem to find a check that is for .401 and is thinner. I wonder why they are made to be so thick? I think they are 30 thou.

Possibly because there are very few 40-41 calibers in the newer cartridges that aren't deemed high intensity/pressure ?
    One of the things that I found that works sometimes for me to help alleviate leading was using a slow of powder as possible, yes it generally means using more powder per shot but it also changes the pressure curve and offers a softer initial "push"
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    Possibly because there are very few 40-41 calibers in the newer cartridges that aren't deemed high intensity/pressure ?
    One of the things that I found that works sometimes for me to help alleviate leading was using a slow of powder as possible, yes it generally means using more powder per shot but it also changes the pressure curve and offers a softer initial "push"
    I might be wrong, but there seem to be plenty of hot loads for the 10mm which of course is the same diameter as the 40 S&W. There are light bullets availability that can be pushed to more than 2000fps and 900 ft lbs. But leading is leading regardless of how hot a load and I'm told gas checks will reduce or eliminate it. I would love to have a choice of powders, but here in Northern California powder is expensive and in short supply. A few weeks ago I managed to buy a 4 lb keg of Power Pistol so that is it for me for the time being. However Power Pistol is one of the Lyman's book of preferred powder for 10mm

In Remembrance
    Sages Outdoors makes 7 different 10mm 40, 41 and .414, and .416 plain base checks Please send private PM I am sure we can fix you up!

Quote Originally Posted by bazzer485 View Post
    I am casting .403 bullets from a NOE mold, they're great. I ordered from NOE gas checks which are .410. They fit the base of the bullets well, but since I'm sizing down to .401 it takes a lot of effort to get the bullet through the sizer. Without the gas check they slide through pretty easily. I believe the copper checks are .030 . Am I using the right gas check?