Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My gun sets off store alarms

Boolit Mold

My gun sets off store alarms

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this. With the changing of the seasons I've gone from carrying my 1911 or Glock 22 to my S&W .38 Bodyguard. Just about every store I walk into I've set off their anti-theft alarms and it happens again when I leave. Usually I play it off but today what I thought was going to be a quick trip to Old Navy to get the kids some shorts turned into me having to explain the bulge in my pocket and show my license and military id to the girl that called me out for shop lifting and then to the manager. At least the manager was understanding if not a little nervous and didn't call the police. But I got a lot of scornful looks from those hippy dippy soccer moms. It also happens at Barnes & Noble, Walmart, and Sears. Does anyone else set off alarms when they carry?

P.S. I'm sure it's the gun. I set the alarms off with and without the pocket holster, with and without the speed strips. I don't seem to have this issue with the Glock or 1911.
    Jason

There are two things that I want you to make up your minds to: first, that you are going to have a good time as long as you live – I have no use for the sour-faced man – and next, that you are going to do something worthwhile, that you are going to work hard and do the things you set out to do. -Theodore Roosevelt

Hi, I am just guessing here but your gun might be magnetized. I think there are services to demagnetize ferrous metal objects, but don't know any more than that...

Gil

Boolit Buddy
    have the clerk run the "demagnitzer'' tool over your gun, see if that helps.

Banned

There is a security tag somewhere on the gun.

Boolit Master

My weapon 380 Bodyguard has never set any alarms off.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Check for one of those stick on strips in your holster

under the grip ?
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master

^^^what he said
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Mold
    Under the grip is about the only thing I can think of. Just checked the holster nothing on or in it, other than some pocket lint. I'm gonna have to do some research and see if I can find a degausing kit or something.
    Jason

There are two things that I want you to make up your minds to: first, that you are going to have a good time as long as you live – I have no use for the sour-faced man – and next, that you are going to do something worthwhile, that you are going to work hard and do the things you set out to do. -Theodore Roosevelt

Any of the stores should be able to Degauss with same pad they use on the security tags.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    I think I'll go to Sportsmans Warehouse and see if they'll do it. I don't think Barnes & Noble would appreciate me pulling out my pistol and asking them to degause it LMAO.
    Jason

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If you have a Weller or similar soldering iron ( the ones with the lights in front and big coils inside) you can de-mag anything with that. TV servicemen back in the golden days of color TV use to use those to degause the CRT. I have a couple watch repairman's de-mag coils I use on stuff I do not want to be magnetic.

Turn it on, bring close to the metal, "scrub" around a little as you back off. Turn off after away from the metal item.

Boolit Master
    Why not remove the grips and check for security strip?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    There is a security tag somewhere on the gun.

I agree, I think they use some type of RFID sensors and there may be a chip in the gun somewhere. Maybe under the grip?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    I'm going to pull the grips off tonight. I'm too busy right now sitting out in the yard enjoying the sunshine surfing this fine site on my phone and watching the kids play.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SSBNsquid View Post
    I'm going to pull the grips off tonight. I'm too busy right now sitting out in the yard enjoying the sunshine surfing this fine site on my phone and watching the kids play.
    Jeeze, it's only one screw.....

Boolit Mold
    Well I pulled the grips. No tags or anything underneath.
    Jason

Moderator Emeritus

Jason, I carry 100% of the time and have yet to set off an alarm......go to Wal-Mart, Tractor Supply, Atwoods, movies....etc....they may be getting more sophisticated in their alarms.....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

It's not the gun, it is his magnetic personality.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    I carry a browning hi-power never set off any alarms. but I often thought about it. if you know any one that has a macnine shop that does grinding they had a demagnetizer. I have one in my shop. but we are a little far apart.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast