RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you guys store your molds

Boolit Mold

how do you guys store your molds

I'm getting back into casting after a 40 year hiatus. I recently purchased a couple of new RCBS molds. They reccomend leaving the last pour of the session in the mold to help prevent rust. Does anyone really do that. I'd be inclined to just use some kind of spray rust preventitives. I'd be interested in what you seasoned boolit casting veterans do.

Banned

DO NOT leave a boolit in the mold.

I leave mine empty and put them in a drawer. [that's it really]

if I lived in a high humidity area I'd put them in a little container from the dollar store with a spritz of kroil on them.

Boolit Grand Master

I left a couple of Lyman moulds on the bench two weeks ago. Went to drain the pot tonight and straighten up a bit and one had rusted. Scrubbed them a bit with CLP and 0000 steel wool. Aluminum moulds I just set them in on the shelf after they cool off.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I use AC oil as a sprue plate and pin lube. I just coat everything but the cavity lightly with that oil using a Q-Tip, for steel mold I will put a touch in the cavity. I'll clean it before casting again. More and more I'm trying to cast larger batches and put some aside for later. My back gives me fits now about standing at a table for any length of time, won't be easier as time goes by so putting some aside for lean times.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Man
    Old Tupperware and large dessicant packs

Boolit Master
    i spritz mine with kroil and wrap in sandwich baggie and put back in rcbs box.when i cast again i just spray off with brake cleaner and go at it. that keeps mine from rusting and having to buy all those expensive handles.

Wrap mine is wax paper and put them in Lyman storage boxes. The aluminum type I put on a shelf they don't do anything.

Boolit Master
    I store mine in a resealable plastic tub and keep them in the house. If other steel products in your home don't rust then the house is dry enough to protect your molds. This will be true of any house with central heat and air. I have molds I've kept like this for ten years no problems

Boolit Master

I use those plastic MTM ammo boxes, three of them hold my molds.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned
    A light coating of Kroil for short term storage and RIG for long term storage. It's annoying to remove oil/grease before casting but I accept that extra work in order to protect from rust. I live in the mid-Atlantic region and unprotected ferrous metal doesn't stand a chance in this climate. I keep the mold blocks in their original box on a shelf when not using them.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 05-01-2016 at 09:14 AM.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Steel ammo cans and VPI crystals .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

I have a big plastic barrel with a clampable lid in the garage. I put the molds in there with a dessicant pack.

Boolit Grand Master

Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant ( L512 ) or Blaster Dry Lubricant with Teflon ( 16-TDL )
    Both have micro Teflon particles in a fast evaporating carrier. A light coat , I use the liquid applied with a Q-Tip, has stopped any mould rusting and doesn't cause wrinkles . I use it as a mould release instead of smoking...when cavities are treated , the boolits want to jump out the mould. Neat stuff.
    I live in the heat and humidity capital , rust and mould is a constant battle. No moulds have ever rusted after treating with a Teflon based dry lube.
    My moulds live in tool boxes and ammo cans in an unconditioned out building . No silica packs , just a dry lube coating inside and out.
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master

I have them in MTM Dry Boxes with silica gel and VCI paper.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Le Loup Solitaire
    When the mold is cool I wipe it thoroughly with small rag soaked in clenzoil, put it in a seal-able sandwich bag and place it in a GI ammo can with other molds that have been treated the same way. Never had any problem with rust. LLS

Boolit Grand Master

On my brass and Aluminum molds, I toss them up on the shelf. My iron molds get a sprits of RemOil and put up on the shelf. I have some molds still in their original box that havent been touched (blasphemy I know). I probably need to organize them and get them off the shelf into a more permanent storage solution. At one time I had them in a tool box and also wrapped and in a plastic ammo can. They always end up on the shelf seperated by caliber.

Boolit Master
    I wrap them in VPI paper (Brownells) and store them dry in clear plastic Plano boxes, with the handles on. With the anti-rust paper, I don't have to degrease them before I start casting again. They are ready to go as soon as I heat them up. Haven't had one rust yet.

I am wondering if filling and covering with molten wax might work, then just melt it off into pot

It may be a long time between casting with one of my iron molds, so I oil and store them in a metal card filing cabinet in my shop. When it is time for use, I clean them with acetone and a blast of compressed air. Spray can brake cleaner also works. With aluminum molds I'm not as fussy.

I was at the WalMart some time back and spotted plastic shoe storage boxes, with hinged lids. I store my molds in them, with dessicant and other assorted 'gun stuff'. They stack and are clear so you can see what is in them too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast