Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Lyman 358495 Wadcutter Hollow Point mould....

Lyman 358495 Wadcutter Hollow Point mould....

I bought a batch of moulds several years ago and this one was among them. It's a bit unusual.....to me, anyway.

A Lyman 358495 Wadcutter with a hollow point pin. I wasn't aware that wadcutters were even available in hollow point form.

Not too sure if it's factory or aftermarket. If it was modified in someone's basement, they did a great job!!!

My on-line search hasn't revealed much. Pretty much nothing, to be honest. I'm hoping the experts here can weigh in on what I have.

It casts and drops excellent boolits, weighing 144 grains with my metal. The ones pictured are tumble coated in HF red and sized to .359

Thanks in advance.

Mike

There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

I HP'd a 358 button nosed wadcutter for Beagle333 a few years ago that he fondly calls the "turtle buster". Spud is a little larger, and it's pretty wicked on water jugs, etc. HP'd wadcutters are just plain fun any way you slice it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1844.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	167299
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Master
    Wow, that is unusual. I've seen a slew of 358495s with the hollow base attachment, but never one with a hollow point. Looks like factory work, too, rather than aftermarket. Thanks for sharing!

There was a time when you could get about any single cavity mould in hollow point form from Lyman, if you paid a little extra.

If Lyman did the hollow pointing, shouldn't there be a matching number on the HP stem and the mold? It is difficult to tell from the pictures. Any of my Ideal or Lyman factory HP molds have matching numbers on each.
    Otherwise, it is probably a nicely done job by a professional like Erik Ohlen or a knowledgeable machinist.

Boolit Master

The earlier factory Ideal and Lyman HPs and HB mould had the block number on the pins but they discontinued this practice later on./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by dmitch View Post
    If Lyman did the hollow pointing, shouldn't there be a matching number on the HP stem and the mold? It is difficult to tell from the pictures. Any of my Ideal or Lyman factory HP molds have matching numbers on each.
    Otherwise, it is probably a nicely done job by a professional like Erik Ohlen or a knowledgeable machinist.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I believe that Ben made a HP wadcutter some years back and was having a ball with it. Don't believe it was a 358495. I've though of doing that but have enough moulds on my plate as it./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....