MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Experences with < 200 gn. in a 45 Auto

Experences with < 200 gn. in a 45 Auto

Looking for a bullet less that the 200 gn bullet for my Glock 21, NOE has the 155, and 187 ? , has anyone tried either of these, and if so and feeding problems or accuracy problems ??
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

In Remembrance

RCBS has a mold that is under 200 gr., Lyman has 2 molds at 200 gr., Accurate molds has at least 60 molds at or under 200 gr. Pretty sure there are many other mold makers with molds for the .45 acp that weigh under 200 gr.Robert

Boolit Master
    I use a commercial cast 155 SWC in my Springfield XDS, early ParaOrd 14-45 and ParaOrd 14-45 Limited. Run just fine. All are ramped barrels. May need to tinker with seating depth, overall length to get feed reliability. The 185 SWC based on the H&G 68 also runs very well.

Boolit Master

I have the 155 grain mold from NOE and developed a load for my Kimber 1911 that I have also shot a bit of in my Glock 21. When developing the load in the Kimber, feeding was very problematic until I seated the boolit out a bit farther, then it fed flawlessly. I have shot the load in the 21 without issue.

Boolit Master

Back in my IPSC phase of life, I put thousands (and thousands!) of H&G 185-grainers through my TK Custom 'racegun' with no significant problem(s). Only real issue I recall was cleaning the lead fouling out of the comp.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot a fair few 452-389(?) 185 Grain wadcutters out of a bullseye tuned Colt Nat'l Match in the mid 70's. The lighter recoil was a big help in the rapid fire segment of the match. I will say that I had trouble finding a load that worked consistently and never did really get it absolutely right. I would still have an occasional failure to feed If the bullet flipped up instead of riding up the feed ramp, i'd have a jam. I eventually went to a H&G 68 200 grainer which worked much better. I also shot up a few hundred 452-66s, which ran about 190 grains, IIRC. but the H&G ran the best for me.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    I run 3.2gr of clays with a 200gr SWC for years out of 1911 guns. Clean, economical, and no recoil. I used a 13 lb spring though. Gonna have to up it to work that Glock. I've also used VV N320 with same results can't recall the charge weight of the top of my head though.

Banned
    For what it is worth I cast and load the Lee 452-160-RF. I size it to .451", tumble lube and load it over 9.3 gr of AA #5. It gives me around 1000 fps out of my 1911 and feeds very reliably.

Boolit Master

I wish I could add something to the discussion but most of my .45ACP loading is with the H&G 68(MP version). Right now I'm trying to find a suitable load using a surplus powder so I don't want to mention any loads.

One boolit I don't see mentioned is SAECO #130. It is supposed to be 185 gr but I have only cast less than 100 and haven't loaded any. I hope to as soon as I settle on a load for the above boolit & powder. The SAECO mold is a 4 cavity and casts a nice looking boolit. Hopefully performance will follow.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I cast & shoot the Accurate 45-160S for Steel Challenge. I guess I'm a dinosaur since everyone I compete against shoot 9's, but I load it over 4.9 grs of WST. I use a 14.5 mainspring in my 1911 to get reliable function. I also shoot this load in my Glock 30, but with a Storm Lake barrel & 2lb lighter mainspring. I liked this profile better than the Noe & I have no reliability problems when I shoot matches!