MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearing aids

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    If your a Veteran then the VA will buy your hearing aids, just have to get tested by them and apply.
    My FIL got his this week.
    I served. I got mine 2 weeks ago. VA gave me the same hearing aids the local Ontologist wanted nearly $3K for. My hearing loss is about 20%-and growing-in the 2 or 3 higher frequency ranges. A year ago they said borderline, now recommended. Balancing aggravation vs advantage, right now aggravation is winning.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I have gotten 3 pr of hearing aids from the VA so far, I get new ones every 4 to 5 years. These new ones I got last Feb. are a whole bunch better than any of the others. They are made by Starkey, Model Z Series, behind the ear. If your a Vet, be sure to check it out.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

I received my first ones from the VA in 2002 and they really needed to be replaced. I had been working overseas for quite some time and was not back in the US for a long enough time for the VA to redo them but I have recently returned and I received stellar treatment at the VA and am the recipient of behind the ear hearing aids which are Bluetooth compatible that allows you to track the last know location in the event that you lose one. It's amazing how good the technology has changed since I received the last ones. The sounds are as close to natural as you can get and best of all they work. It sure cuts down on the arguments with the better half when I before couldn't hear what she is saying.

gmsharps

Boolit Bub
    I've had a pair of Starkey Wi series behind the ears for about 4 years now... the tag was $7300 for the pair, but the company I worked for at the time paid 90% so I figured I'd go for it. I'm glad I did, I can hear my daughters now, and they made a big difference in church as a worship musician.
    Unfortunately in my line of work it is pretty much impossible to wear them on the job.
    They definitely are worth getting if you need them, but make sure when you do, that you consult with your tech about your hobbies and other activities so they can find the perfect match for your lifestyle. I went to three different offices before I settled on the Starkey brand, and I'm very happy with them.

I've had tinnitus for over 20 years in my left ear and substantial hearing loss in that ear as well and some on the right as well. From my reading that is typical of shooting right handed, most loss occurs on the left. I worked in a steel mill also , which didn't help as in my early years there , hearing protection was not mandatory. On retiring, I put in a claim to Workmans Compensation and got a small lump sum for disability and they pay a fixed amount towards aids every 5 years and my insurance through work will pay up to a certain amount as well, making the cost of a high end pair, minimal to me. I have a high end pair of Oticons with the bluetooth thingy you wear around the neck. You can pair it with your phone for hands free while driving and play any music on your phone but the frequency response for music sounds like an old cheap transistor radio, also an adapter for plugging it into the headphone jack of a computer or TV. The fellow I deal with is a certified audiologist and after the sale support is fantastic, without the support they would have been put in a drawer long ago, he has made several adjustments to the amount of boost in several frequency ranges over the 3 years I've had them based on follow up checkups. Choose your vendor wisely for the best results.

Boolit Master

Small arms fire and other really loud kabooms.Yes,paper is really loud.Mine are blue tooth,my phone is not.One ear is worst than the other,I sleep on the good ear.Nice and quite.Oh and VA pays for them,they are nice and hardly noticeable.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12