MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Best boolit weight 4570

Best boolit weight 4570

24" barrel 4570 best boolit weight ? I bought one finally on Gunbroker tonight.
    Also I will be looking for a reloading die set. You 4570 guys help me out !!

Boolit Master

Without knowing your intended use, it is hard to give you much specific information. I would say that if I could only have one, I would go with the Lee 405g hollow base.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

+1 for the 405gr
    Scott

The East-Left Coast

"They took my horse and made him surrender".

Boolit Grand Master

Barrel twist use and range are going to decide bullet wieght more so. For simple deer hunting in a 1-18 twist a 405 grn or so maybe even a little lighter should work well at 100-200yds. A little heavier might be usefull at times. Action type also plays a part here some lever actions wont cycle longer loads meaning 500+ grn dlugs need to be seated to deeply. Another is what powder and velocity range will you be loading. Let the rifle decide what it wants to shoot. Get some samples from 330 grn to 450 grn or so and test them. A good reason for going to the range. An add in thebullet exchange here might get you some samples with known alloy and mould numbers to work with and you will have known data to decide with

Boolit Master

My best accuracy from 100 yards to a thousand yards in more than a few 45/70s has always been with the 405 grain projectiles. At very long range, they're a bit more wind sensitive, but they are way more comfortable to shoot than the 500 + grain boolits.

My favorite moulds are the Lee 405 grain and the Lyman 457193 designs. Both hold well out at extended range and do well from the US Army's carbine load of 1100 fps on up to as much recoil as you can stand.

Good luck with your 45/70 project. It's great round to shoot and it's easy to reload for.

By the way, what rifle did you end up buying. As noted above, that may have some impact on the suggestions that you receive.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 05-08-2016 at 11:44 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned

350 to 450 is a good range to stay within.
    for a normal everyday load 400 or so at 13-1600 fps would be pretty hard to beat.
    I run a 435gr flat point gas check mold at about 1650 fps and I think it'd be more'n enough for anything I'm gonna run into out here.
    that includes Grizzly bears or @ 50 hungry Zombies [if I could get them to line up just so]

my Marlin has shown a liking to 405gr so I just go with it

Boolit Master
    Gould boolit is good for hogs and deer also.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Banned

probably 90 percent of the 4570 bullets ive sent down range in my life are between 400 and 450 grain. I probably would pick the 405 rcbs rfgc as the one ive shot the most.

Boolit Grand Master

350-450 gr as R5R said with an honorable mention to the 500gr class of doing some long distance shooting.

Whats your our intended use and what are you launching them out of?

The Lee HB 405's are great but the mould itself is the suck, in my opine.
    I generally like Lee tools but not that one.
    I settled on a Saeco 023, 375 GR spire point, which has a single large grease groove and a crimp groove.
    A joy to cast with.
    So far, the Saeco bullet beats out the 405's @ 100 yards in my Trapdoor, with both RL7 and Unique.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Banned

Only problem I have found with both lee and Lyman molds I had was the diameters. Both dropped at .457" no matter the alloy. My revolver needs .459" and my Browning rifle needs .460".
    The only mold I have that is right is my old Rapine.
    Had to make my own molds for the revolver. It shoots best from 300 to 360 gr boolits.
    I don't know what a Marlin will take but I made molds clear to .464" so I cover anything to a pound fit.
    400 is a good choice. Still luck to get fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    My best accuracy from 100 yards to a thousand yards in more than a few 45/70s has always been with the 405 grain projectiles. At very long range, they're a bit more wind sensitive, but they are way more comfortable to shoot than the 500 + grain boolits.

My favorite moulds are the Lee 405 grain and the Lyman 457193 designs. Both hold well out at extended range and do well from the US Army's carbine load of 1100 fps on up to as much recoil as you can stand.

Good luck with your 45/70 project. It's great round to shoot and it's easy to reload for.

By the way, what rifle did you end up buying. As noted above, that may have some impact on the suggestions that you receive.
    Good idea on buying a few boolits here on the forum to try. The rifle is a Knight KP-1 . Break open single shot 24" barrel. Knight only made them a short while. The barrels interchange like a TC Encore. The Knight black powder rifles will out shoot any other BP gun I have ever had my hand's on . If the KP-1 lives up to the gun mag. writers I will enjoy it. I will just be shooting paper and maybe a deer.
    Take a look

http://www.shootingtimes.com/long-gu...st_kp1_200712/

Boolit Grand Master

For where you are and your intended game look at the Lyman 457122 Gould HP mold. It was the first 45-70 boolit designed for the Eastern woods and it is still one of the best. That or one of the 405gr boolits - and there are a plethora to choose from.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

405 grain. Deadly.

Boolit Master

I'll be the odd man out. I'm using the Lyman 292 gr bullet but then I'm shooting cowboy steel targets at truly wimp load levels. It's much easier on the rifle as well as my shoulder. Mine is a rebarreled rolling block--you know, those that don't have serial numbers cause they're so old
    Love the time it takes for the clang to come back from the target after/when I hit it.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place