Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Which do you like to do more?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pour

40 42.11%
  • Reload

55 57.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which do like to do more?

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.

Which do like to do more?

Besides shooting, of course.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    Myself, I think I enjoy pouring more.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Boolit Grand Master

I enjoy both casting and reloading. Looking for the best bullet and best load can be a real challenge at tmes.

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    Before I can vote, you need a third option: Both!
    Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Right now I like reloading more because I can find the time to do it. I can reload in the comfort of the wifes and mine craft/reloading room. We usually go in there in the evenings. She paints or what ever and I fiddle with my brass. It is relaxing and I enjoy playing with my toys. I like casting but never seem to have the time to truly sit down and do it for enjoyments sake. I do it because I need boolits and have set the time aside to do just that. Looking forward to retirement soon and have always thought casting will be a lot more fun when I have the time to get really organized and do some experimenting with different alloys. Right now I find I try and copy what you guys say works and make as many boolits as I can with what time I have. Casting tends to be a chore for me right now. Hopefully that will change.

Floyd

Boolit Master
    Sigh, until my Lee started dripping crazily I would've said pour. Casting has been a PITA, constantly fiddling and twisting the valve stem to stop leaks. Even emptied it out completely and cleaned it with no change. Once I save my pennies for the RCBS pro melt I'm sure I'll be happier than a pig in mud.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I think I like pouring more as I have 4 or 6 thousand boolits with no powder under them.

How are you doing Joe?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Both are a means to an end for me. I guess I'd rather reload than pour, but when the alloy and temperature is right, I do enjoy cranking out the projectiles.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Since I have yet to begin either process, I will vote for.............girls.
    NRA Benefactor

Banned

I just finished a run of 9400 rounds of 9mm which means I had to cast that many.
    I mark one eyeballed the pile at 10-k I guess it's a little off.

but casting to me is boring, sometimes I can run on and on for 4-5 or more hours.
    other times and a half hour with one mold is enough to drive me nuts.
    open/close/pour/count/open/close/pour/count....yawn, yawn.

reloading.
    I walk in and run off 1-200 rounds [20 or so minutes] and go do something else, stop in for 5-10 minutes and knock out another 20-30 rounds and wander out again.

it's the thinking about the load development, measuring the gun[s], and designing the molds I get interested in.
    sometimes just sitting there staring into space and lost in thought for an hour or more while I work out the gliding angles and load timing details in my head.
    then putting them down on paper and getting to try them at the range, and improving on them a little bit at a time.
    that is enjoyable to me.

Boolit Master
    I really like all of it but sitting at the press is easier on me and when i'm doing load development or case forming, etc, that kind of stuff scratches the nerd itch!

Lot of other related things that I enjoy though like gunsmithing/restoration, cleaning guns, holster making, etc.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I like to see the nice shiny boolits all piled up but I love to see the nice shiny ammo ready to shoot!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

My vote goes to casting. While i enjoy both reloading on a single stage can get a bit teadious at times. On the outher hand melting stuff is always fun lol.
    I cast therefor I shoot. Or is it the outher way around?

Boolit Master
    Plenty of time to reload these days but it gets tedious sometimes (I'm filling ammo cans). Casting will have to wait.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by BBQJOE View Post
    Besides shooting, of course.
    Come to think of myself as a strange bird. Enjoy tinkering, loading and casting as much if not more than actual shooting.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Boolit Grand Master
    Incomplete question.
    Shooting the product of your pouring and reloading should be an option.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I really prefer pouring...I'm in the middle of loading a bunch of 41 mag, and am looking forward to running out of brass, so I can get to pouring some other calibers...Oh, almost forgot, I have a bunch of lube-sizing scheduled next.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I have waaaay more time for casting and reloading than I do for shooting. It's a toss up between casting and reloading as they go hand in hand; can't reload without casting, and if casting alone I'll just have hundreds of bullets laying around...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Ural Driver View Post
    Since I have yet to begin either process, I will vote for.............girls.
    Raises a good point, but I have one of those and frankly I'm always having to try something new to get that piece of equipment to function in a consistent manner. Really great when things hum along but trouble shooting problems can be difficult if not impossible.

I think I like.... reloading more because of the finished product going on the shelves. Sort of like putting up vegetables at canning time there is a sense of having something ready for later enjoyment from the work. On the other hand casting is very meditative. Does not require intense focus the way reloading does. Have to pay attention but that boring steady paced repetition is sort of zen like. Very relaxing. And pile of shiny bullets to weigh and stash in the ammo cans feels good, sort of like planting seeds, I get to look forward to the eventual crop of bullets they will become.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I must say pouring..when a mold is running smoothly and boolits are good looking, it seems a shame to stop!! Until of course, my hand is too sore from holding that mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast