Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger No. 1 - 45-70

Ruger No. 1 - 45-70

Found a No.1 45-70 today and the steel was in ready good shape but the wood had a bunch of nicks on it. The Blue Book is showing this gun for around $500. I have never shot one or even been interest in one but after getting a Marlin 1885 in 45-70. I am thinking it would be nice to add it to the collection.

The question that I have, what do you think the gun is worth? Again, I would rate the steel around 92% and the wood around 80%.

Boolit Grand Master

Most of the nicer ones I've seen are 850-1050.

The one you describe I'd go for $700-800 if I was buying depended on how bad I wanted it

look at gunbroker and the competed aictions. That'll give you a more accurate value

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I have not seen a 45-70 for that little in a while. Most, even used ones, hang around $1000.

If the metal is in good shape, the wood is replaceable.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Yes, I have not seen a 45-70 for that little in a while. Most, even used ones, hang around $1000.

If the metal is in good shape, the wood is replaceable.
    Keep in mind the wood is not available from Ruger.

I have asked them this question before.

They sell no aftermarket stocks for any of the #1's
    Last edited by Clay M; 04-28-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Banned

if you can get it for even 700 bucks buy it and run. If your passing on it at 500 let me know because id surely buy it for that.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd go $500 for a good metal Ruger #1 in .45-70 even if the wood is beyond salvage. I bet Boyd's makes a stock for it.

Boolit Master
    New #1's have become pricey rifles.
    The last one I bought cost me $1200
    Probably the last one I will ever buy, unless I find a good deal on a used one which doesn't look very likely.

Boolit Master

I'll have to differ with some on here and say that model is quite common, and generally priced a bit lower than less common iterations from what I've seen. In the condition you describe, I wouldn't go more than $700, unless you just had to have it. Heck, new in box specimens in other calibers can be found for $900 or less as long as you aren't looking for a particular caliber.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    I love the #1 , but they have always been a challenge.
    I have three that I would never part with.
    The .30/06,the .405 win, and the .45/70
    They all do exactly what I want,but I am not too sure I want any other #1's
    The .405 win is my favorite.

Boolit Master
    I'd pay the $500 even if it came with no wood!

Boolit Master

The No.1 is a very classic rifle and from what I have seen the price for the No. 1 should be starting at $750. Not to be contrary with the above post regarding the 45-70 as a more common caliber, and thus worth less, I tend to think the 45-70 would bring some more than a common smaller caliber No.1. But I confess I like most all No.1's regardless of caliber. Some of the older No.1s have nicer wood than some of the newer ones and that does increase the value of them.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    KnotRight,

I really like the RUGER #1 rifles. Have for many years and never had a bad one.

I enjoy the dickens out of my 45/70 and with a 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast bullet at 1650fps it is awesome on deer and elk.

This rifle with the 22" barrel is lighter then many of the #1 rifles and is a real joy to carry in the woods.

I bought this rifle for close to your 500dollar figure, but that was before the recent obamanation when everything took a big jump.

There was an equally fine/cherry 45/70 Marlin sitting on the same pawn shop rack when I bought the #1 and had I known then what I know now, I'd bought em both.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Because of the Obama Gold Rush on guns, my dealer has gone completely nuts with the prices of all guns.

I use to get any #1 new for under $1000 , now he wants $1200 for any of them.

I rarely see used #1's. I did see a use one in .375H&H at Cabelas. They wanted $1000 for it.

Boolit Master
    Around here, anything under $700.00 on a half decent #1 is a screaming deal.
    I know where there's a NASTY old #1A .30-06, and I'm juuust waiting on the guy to open his mouth about selling it.
    Beware of #1's. They can cause otherwise perfectly good deer rifles to become parked in the safe.

Going back to take a look at it. Was quoted a price of $650. The issue that I have is spending 650 for that or putting it towards a pistol caliber lever action rifle.

UPDATE: Gun is in my safe!!!!
    Got it for $600 plus tax. Looked at the metal and there is some very minor pitting on the receiver but not rusting. Going to take it to the smith in the next couple of days to see about getting the wood refinished and if he can touch up the bluing. Do not think that the gun was shot much. The bore is very clean and there is no gun powder on either end of the barrel.

Can not wait to see how it does on the range. Not sure about a scope but do not think that I will get one. Maybe a peep sight. I did call Ruger today to see when it was made or shipped in June of 1993.

Boolit Master
    KnotRight,

Your experience may be like mine. I fully intended to scope mine - it came with a Pentax which quickly went down the road - but I thought I would try to sight in the factory irons before I mounted the Leopold 2X7.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because of the lower head position needed for the iron sight use, the rifle really beat my face during recoil. It was so bad I wondered if I was going to be able to shoot this rifle.

Well I mounted the scope and the problem was gone! Not that it can't generate a goodly amount of recoil, but with the higher head position, no more pain or the face getting beat up.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Wish you were closer I might be able to save you some bucks with cleaning up your new rifle.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	167508

Boolit Master
    Crusty,
    How is the eye relief with that scope? Is that the VXIII 2X7? I'm wanting to scope my 1A but have read that eye relief can be a problem especially with the new shorter scopes. It looks like you could have slid it back some more if you had wanted, so I assume it had plenty of eye relief. Oh, one more thing, what height scope rings did you use? I like how low that one sits.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like if the scope was moved aft it would hit the rear sight.
    I put a newer VXiii on my .280 Rem and did not have the proper eye relief. Swapped out an older Burris that is much longer and works great.

Boolit Master
    I have owned three Ruger #1 .45/70's over the years, and have found the .45/70 to be the easiest of all the #1's to get to shoot well.

Currently own a Stainless Laminate, and it is likewise a great shooter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast