Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: heart break on my 300blk

heart break on my 300blk

already had one 300blk rifle but having to rebuild. long story short, I was lucky I just walked away with a blow up mag, stuck bolt and spent case in the chamber, broken charging handle and a broken heart.

did everything I know to do to get the bolt and case unstuck but failed. took it to an gunsmith, he could not get it done. I don't know where the failure point of the round was. but from what it looks like, the bolt and chamber is shot. hoping to save the bolt carrier but not hold my breath.

I have a friend going to bring a pulley puller over to try to see if that would work.

I am out of ideas to get the bolt unstock and the case out.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    You did something potentially fatally stupid?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Vendor Sponsor

Coat bolt carrier thru ejection port and from bottom side with something like kroil Point muzzle down for a day
    letting oil seep around the bolt and cartridge

then get a long brass rod (smaller DIA than 223 )and try tapping from muzzle end ..
    Might just release for you..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Sense/since it has been to a smith already I'm going to suggest some seemingly course methods of mechanical device disassembly.
    Never ever underestimate soaking and lubrication. Get too much of your preferred stuff put your upper which I am presuming is off the lower and has been stripped down to a bbl'd upper with a BCG and charging handle stuck.
    Stick it in a coffee can with your lube solvent about half way up the BCG the ideal would be to the bolt face . Pour the bbl full or up to the gas port any way . Walk away . Tomorrow take it out of the soup wash out all out and repeat . While you're waiting on the Eds,Kroil or CLP . Find a long punch that is on the fat side of the same diameter as the gas tube . Make sure it's long enough to be in the reciever and well into BCG and 3-4 " out in front of the bbl nut . Fill the bolt tube with oil on the carrier now with a light hammer and plenty of towels slip the punch in the reciever. Light hammer means 4oz or less smack the punch but be sure there is oil in the tube for both hydrostatic force and cushion. This is going to make a mess and it's possible to break parts as forces will be both normal and not.
    If you have something jammed in the bolt ,case flow for example the hydraulic effects may be able to turn the bolt . A 2nd plus is that everything will be wet with lube if it is going to move at all for lubes sake it will .
    There is the possibility of bolt or extention set back . Find a soft faced tool and see if you can move the bolt in particular forward cut or file a brass punch to a chisel point if all else fails and use it in the forward assist notches again with the light hammer . Repeat the process as needed. Over a week or so. 3-4 tries of each process wash and soak .
    If the parts are already ruined you can't hurt anything if they aren't this is the least destructive means of disassembly.

Don't get a bigger hammer
    Don't hydraulic the bbl or chamber

If needed to keep fluid in the bolt carrier put it back in the soak container . At some point the charging handle will be able to move the bolt if it turns at all.

This probably won't feel at all kind, gentle or like something you want to do to a 3-500 dollar investment but it is 1 way to make the attempt.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Just my luck out of kroil.

Best pic of the mess,

It was a complete upper so I am waiting on a vise block. Was going to need it for another at build anyway.

About tempted to run my bore cam down it to see if I can see any thing

Boolit Grand Master

Hard to overcharge the 300 BLk as its near full capacity with typical powders like 296 and LilGun. Perhaps the OP was using a different powder, but a double charge would have overflowed the case.

Likely an obstructed bore or fire out of battery. If a 223, a 300 BLK could sneak in there for a spectacular KB, but not the case here.

More re info needed.

I'd imagine the lugs are jammed with debris based on your pic

Boolit Grand Master

Is this an upper you built or bought? If you bought it, I'd send it back before hammering on it. If it fired OOB, they owe you a new upper at a minimum

Bought but not covered because of it was a reload. Can't bring my self to lie. Already have another upper ready to go.

Going to check my data, I know it was my mistake, just what I did is the question. I have an idea. I was working a load on the table I load rifles for my 9mm. Think I forgot to change out powder and going called away.

bleep bleeped da bleep. (fill in the bleeps). freaking cfe pistol from where I was working 9mm. had to let the dogs out if a remember right or was it a phone call from the wife. must of thought it was lilgun or imr 4227 (can't find h110 or 296 in my area). so 13 to 15 grs of cfe pistol pushing an 182 gr nosler e tip.

I am lucky as hell.

Moderator Emeritus

Corey, if it makes you feel any better, I once blew up a Super Blackhawk, and that ain't easy to do. Was realoading very late one nigh in effort to load up enough ammo to get prepped for deer season. Loaded 350 rds. IIRC, and shot them all the next day. Worked fine, but not as accurate as my normal load of 2400. The problem came when I finished reloading. I'd used 231 because I was almost totally out of 2400. So I had my hopper full of 231, but when I went to empty the powder measure (full of 231), I habitually reached for my nearly empty 2400 can, and poured the 231 into the 2400 can, thereby setting myself up for the NEXT reloading session. Then, I loaded 22.3 gr. of what I THOUGHT was 2400 behind a 240 gr. Win. JHP, but it was actually 231. That's almost exactly a double charge of the max. load with that powder! The next day, I went out with a friend, and at the first shot, I noticed the gun kicked a lot more and sounded different, but wasn't sure what happened. After that first shot, I took it down and looked at the right side, and something struck me as "off," but I couldn't put my finger on it. I turned it over and .... nearly fainted! The chamber under the hammer was gone, as was half of the one next to it, and what was left of the chamber under the hammer had the brass case brazed to the remains of that chamber.

I squatted down immediately, mostly to keep from falling down! At first, I was stunned that my gun was "gone." Then I was just happy I was still alive! Blowing up a gun is a truly humbling experience. I'd loaded at least a couple of hundred thousand loads when I did this, and had come to believe I was "infallible." Don't EVER do that! Always remember Murphy's Law, and double check everything all the time. And you can bet your sweet bippie that I can now recognize powders pretty well by their looks, too! If it doesn't look right, I do some serious research and investigation before I load that powder up!

As they say, "Once burnt, a lesson learnt." Sure has worked that way for me!

Boolit Master

Yea, you are lucky, but a good lesson may be learned by all; only one powder on the bench and dump any unused powder back in it's container when done.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Congratulations!

Youve had the first and finest graphic, up close, demonstration of the reason you never have more than one operation/cartridge/powder on the bench at any time.

Very gratified that you received the lesson without the bonus points physical damage,,,,,,,,,,.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

on, rifle and powders for 300blk on side of the room pistol on the other.

rifles get done on single stage presses
    pistol on turret.

just that day, I was work a new load and was using my lee perfect measure to get as close as I can to "book load". next time I do that I come up with something to let me know change or dump when if I walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Congratulations!

Youve had the first and finest graphic, up close, demonstration of the reason you never have more than one operation/cartridge/powder on the bench at any time.

Very gratified that you received the lesson without the bonus points physical damage,,,,,,,,,,.
    when I went to the smithy I was not the first one in the last month that came in with a blown up gun. had a guy come in with a ar in 556/223 in 27 pieces. that was off a factory load. mine came in one piece, the lower was locked with the upper. picked it up it was in 3 or 4 pieces.

that guy with the other gun was cut up bad. I just hurt my pride.

left my chrony at home. it kicked like the ppu 180gr factory rounds.

I had the lower off, got it jammed together when I tried mortar the bolt out. that is when the charging handle broke.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, thanks for being humbled enough to tell us what happened. Id rather your pride be hurt than have you missing fingers or eyes. Best of luck recovering what you can but if call it a lesson and hang it up as a reminder. Not worth disassembling as I wouldn't be reusing any part from that upper.

Boolit Master
    Thank God for Mr Stoners locking lugs. They did a good job keeping that bolt assembly in the gun instead of pulling a bolt carrier out of your noggin.
    I bet the lugs got mashed and are now bigger than the slot your trying to pull it through.

If it were me, I would write off the upper.
    Buy a new complete upper and save the old one as a memory of a lucky day.
    Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 04-28-2016 at 07:14 AM.

Boolit Master

If it were me, I would write off the upper.
    Buy a new complete upper and save the old one as a memory of a lucky day.[/QUOTE]

This^^^^^^^^^.
    A friend years ago, put 40 Grains of H-110 behind a 40 grain Nosler BT in a varmint weight Ruger 77 in 22/250 instead of the BL-C2 he intended. The only thing more impressive than that wreck was my opinion of Ruger products. Stock was in eight pieces, no floor plate/ trigger guard metal, the magazine box was flat, extractor was gone and the bolt had brazed itself shut. I had to unscrew the barrel to remove the bolt and just for the sake of it, did a chamber cast. couldn't remove it because it was bulged. It would not accept a no go gage. My friend wasn't hurt much other than his ego and a couple fragments in his cheek and hands. He has it mounted on a board in his reloading room as a warning.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    never say I would not do it! The more confident you become at reloading the easier it is to screw up! I am truly thankful for your safety.
    Look twice, shoot once.

should be able to save the dust cover and I hope the forward assist.

I have another upper I was working on for another build. it is an 80% upper just needing the rail cut. don't have a mill and not going to try with a drill press. so drilled and tapped for a rail I had setting around just need to shorten it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast