Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Python 6"

Colt Python 6"

Went to a local auction this past weekend and took home a Colt Python. Now I need to work up a good load for it.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Mine all get fed my hand cast Lyman 358156 over 15 gr. of H-110. they shoot it almost as well as my Trooper Mark V.

I'll ask...How many years wages did that set you back?
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Who cares?

Now I need to work up a good load for it.

[/QUOTE]

What do you want to do with the load? Myself I like to shoot a load of about 5.2 grains unique and a 158 SWC for a plus P 38 load. That gives me about 900 FPS and if I hold at the top of the metal plate at 100 yards, its my 100 yard load. I am shooting about 7.5 grains unique or herco with that same bullet in a .357 case for 1150 FPS as a mild .357 load that dings steel out to 200 yards. I only shoot 2400 or H110 loads for blowing up 2 liter soda bottles or deer hunting of which I would use a 44 or 45 anyway.

Oh and congrats on a nice gun for life. Again, I hardly ever run full loads in my pythons as its just not needed.
    Last edited by smkummer; 04-10-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: grammar

Boolit Buddy

Beautiful gun man, I've been wanting one forever to give my King Cobra some company. Congrats!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Who cares?

He does apparently.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BigHoss74 View Post
    Went to a local auction this past weekend and took home a Colt Python. Now I need to work up a good load for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    LOL...
    In today's Colt market, I'm thinking that's like asking a Lady how old she is.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Welcome to the club. Don't ever sell it! My favorite Python, non-cast, hunting load was a 140 gr. JHP Sierra with a moderate charge of 296 or 2400. Very accurate and lethal on feral hogs. I haven't had a chance to workup a good cast load for it yet. Bought mine for less than 3 bills at Walmart, a loooong time ago.

I use 3gr of bullseye under a 158 lswc on 38spl brass. Nice accurate easy shooting load that won't beat that beautiful python up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Bead blast that thing and duracoat it camo! Just kidding!! Beautiful revolver. Very nice.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on a beautiful purchase!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    Bead blast that thing and duracoat it camo! Just kidding!! Beautiful revolver. Very nice.
    I nearly wrecked my car laughing

Boolit Master
    We have sure had some fun here but I must apologize for being remiss in not congratulating you Bighoss74 on your fine acquisition. The 6" carbon steel Python is the epitome of double action firearms and they will never be made again, like the P-51 Mustang. Don't ever part with it, you'll never forgive yourself. Thank you for sharing and please continue to keep updating your progress with load development along the trail.

Boolit Master
    Beautiful revolver! Congrats on the purchase. I admire you for wanting to enjoy it and not sticking it in the safe.
    East Tennessee

Bighoss,
    Congrats on the snake! If it has ever had a box of ammo through it and is anything less than handled by virgins since the day it was built, it's just an example of a well built revolver and deserves to be enjoyed and shot. I have 4 Pythons; one 6' polished stainless, one poorly stored 6" blue, one 4" that was blue until someone took the finish off with Comet Toilet Scrubber and left in the white and one virginal 4" Python Elite in Royal Blue. All, except the last one, are shooters and dang good ones. Are they the smoothest, finest, most accurate revolver the world has ever seen? NO!, but they are exceptional. I am the first to admit they all lose out in smoothness to an unmodified Colt Officers Model that left the factory in 1937 and shows its years, but still is smooth as glass. On so many forums, the Python has reached a point where they are exalted and must be protected at all costs. What fun is that? Care for it and it will still be worth a fair chunk whenever you punch out or decide to part with it. The one minty one I bought was during a rare moment of capitalism with the intent to resell in the future. I love DA revolvers of any flavor!

Mark

Boolit Master

I have an old 4" Blue Python that came to me used but almost new in about 1960. I've run tens of thousands of 158 SWC bullets through it with 3.5 grains of Bull in .38 Special cases for great plinking and small game loads. Mine prefers bullets sized .356" but you'll have to experiment. They're gems. Just like a swiss watch. Expect to have them retimed after about 10-12,000 rounds. Mines in the twenties now and has been done twice but its worth the trouble./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Groo here
    I believe you have set for your self a near impossible task.
    Most likely what you will find is a very few loads that will NOT shoot well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Lady
    Congrats on a great adoption. To reduce the wear on timing, use a grease or at least oil the ratchet star and both stages of the hand/pawl.
    Feminine protection by Smith & Wesson

Boolit Master
    FWIW, mine likes full power loads better than light loads. It dearly loves a 158gn bullet at full velocity. Doesn't matter what kind If casting then I found softer with good lube and gas check worked the best.

For some reason it liked the 125gn jacketed better than the 140gn. Not sure why.

For plinking just about any bullet with minimal powder.

I went to AA powders years ago and still like them. IIRC my light loads were WW231 or AA2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast