RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little PO'ed about my new to me H&G #50BB mold

Boolit Master

Little PO'ed about my new to me H&G #50BB mold

So here a couple weeks ago I was browsing Ebay for vintage reloading gear as I have a soft spot for old stuff. I came across a listing for a Hensley & Gibbs #50BB, 4-cav, with handles & box in good condition, listed as a San Diego production mold. My preference was for an early mold from the San Diego shop as I like the historical background in things. The seller was asking $225+$18 shipping, as a Buy It Now. I made an offer for $200 and it was accepted so the transaction was made and I got it here a couple weeks ago. Very cool old box with original H&G label on it, addressed to the San D location. Mold is in pretty good shape, not rusty, nice cavities, just some patina, same for the handles. But to my disappointment the mold is roll stamped clearly enough, Murphy, Oregon and quite obviously it is not stamped San Diego. It is an earlier Oregon mold as the mold numbers are hand stamped. I didn't know this at the time of purchase, not till I got it but since I have been wanting to add an actual H&G mold to my meager collection and I really have been wanting a #50 to feed my Revo fever with, I bought it. I don't know if I overpaid with consideration to what was advertised and what I got. It was important to me that I was getting an early mold and It pisses me off that I didn't get what was advertised. I had sent the seller a message the day I got it inquiring why there was a mismatch and have got no response. The seller was pretty quick to respond when I sent the offer in and also a reply to my thank you for accepting message. But not a peep since I got it. He just got another that was a little more to the point. I hate to have to possibly send it back or make a claim and loose it as it is a very nice mold but I don't like being taken advantage of either.

If the $200 for it was well worth it anyways, maybe i'll drop it and carry on but I don't really know if that's fair price or what. Maybe I just need some cheese with my whine... Still aggravating....

What do you guys think?
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Banned

well it is the most common one.
    and it was about twice what I see them go for.

if it casts good boolits I'd just use it and move on.
    lesson learned about e-bay.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    well it is the most common one.
    and it was about twice what I see them go for.

if it casts good boolits I'd just use it and move on.
    lesson learned about e-bay.
    Damn, well that's not what I was hoping to hear but like you said, lesson learned. It was about what most of the H&G's that were posted were going for at the time, figured it was in the ball park. Shoulda done a little more checking on the going rate.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master
    Not much you can do about it now; at least you got a decent mold, even if it isn't as advertised.

From what you say, you would have a hard time getting your money from the scam artist, um I mean seller.

Learn your lesson, leave him some nasty feedback and move on.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Not much you can do about it now; at least you got a decent mold, even if it isn't as advertised.

From what you say, you would have a hard time getting your money from the scam artist, um I mean seller.

Learn your lesson, leave him some nasty feedback and move on.

Robert
    I have managed to get my hands on some pretty good deals and great items off of the site but there are occasions that discourage me from shopping on there. Unless this dude responds in couple days, which why would he, he's been paid, he'll get a nastygram feedback and warning to any potential customers that come his way.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master

Well, it was not as advertised.

The question you have to ask, is the hassle worth the $75-100 and the loss of a decent mold?

To me, I'd keep it, love it and use it and be extra careful and request additional pictures
    from the seller if needed to completely ID a mold next go round.

Boolit Grand Master

I also wanted to add a H&G mold to my collection. I did some research and watched them on E-bay for a long while. Most of the ones that I was interested in had iffy pictures or vague descriptions. I finally bought 2 from a member on here for a fair price, and he even shipped before he received my payment!

It sucks that yours was not as described but I bet it works great. I would probably leave feed back for the guy that describes your experience and move on. I bet you will love that mold!

Boolit Master

Appears to me clearly "not as described". If you like the mold, request an adjustment from the seller, $100 or so. I believe Ebay conflict resolution would let you return the mold for a full refund plus shipping both ways. Just send them a photo of the OR stamp.
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

So far I have gotten all the items I have ordered as advertised,I know that there are bad vendors and I have read descriptions that told me the seller didnot know what he was talking about.A little scrutinizing at time will keep you out of trouble
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

If you mark the item as not as described and ask for a refund there isn't much the seller can do to prevent you from getting your money back. Happened to me once where they basically "retail rented" something. Buyer protection are vastly better than seller protections oh eBay.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    I would open a dispute about it being not as described and negotiate a deal for money back.

Just give that 'overpriced' mold a nickname…something akin to a wife or girlfriend…a name that leaves you with a nice thought and a sweet taste in your mouth…Liken to a good woman, it was a little expensive, but it is 'fit for service…with a smile!'

OS OK …
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Very cool old box with original H&G label on it, addressed to the San D location.
    Either the seller is shifty or an idiot.
    If I were in your situation, If you don't get the response you desire, I wouldn't waste the time (and energy) to open a ebay dispute, I'd just keep the mold and leave feedback as you describe, "he'll get a nastygram feedback and warning to any potential customers that come his way." and then I'd move on, and enjoy the mold.

edited: I didn't see where you've cast it yet? I'm assuming it casts like a dream, like most H&G molds. If you haven't cast with it yet, I surely would...if you don't like how it casts, then I'd surely open a dispute with ebay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Like Optimus said above. Buyer protection is much better on Ebay than Seller protection. They will get into his paypal acct and refund your money. I have no problem opening disputes when I buy something that turns out not to be as described. Usually I'll ask for a partial refund if it's something I can live with or want. That has usually worked for me. There was only one time I asked for a refund and the seller refused. Ebay sent my money back plus shipping both ways. It didn't take long either. It's really not that big of a hassle.

I would say $100 is a decent price for a 4 cav in very good condition. Like someone said above that model is about the most popular one they made. I'd ask the guy for a partial refund of $100 and you'll keep it. If not tell him you want to ship it back for a full refund including your shipping cost both ways. All he can do is say no. You can proceed with the Ebay resolution center after that if you want a full refund.

If your like me every time you look at it you'll be reminded it's not what I really want.

Good Luck....Floyd

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the advise guys! Well, I'll be darned, the seller replied to my more direct message, guess he didn't notice the 1st one I sent right after it arrived. He seemed apologetic and he missed the Oregon stamp on the mold but is willing to make it right. He's offering a full refund/return or sending me back $50 If I want to keep it. I'm surprised I got a response, I was figuring on a deadbeat seller. That makes it a little more tough now, it is a really good condition mold. Maybe I'll go take it for a quick test drive and see how it casts. Either way, I want to have a #50BB and preference to a 4-cav as I read they tend to produce more accurate bullets or so I hear.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    So here a couple weeks ago I was browsing Ebay for vintage reloading gear as I have a soft spot for old stuff. I came across a listing for a Hensley & Gibbs #50BB, 4-cav, with handles & box in good condition, listed as a San Diego production mold. My preference was for an early mold from the San Diego shop as I like the historical background in things. The seller was asking $225+$18 shipping, as a Buy It Now. I made an offer for $200 and it was accepted so the transaction was made and I got it here a couple weeks ago. Very cool old box with original H&G label on it, addressed to the San D location. Mold is in pretty good shape, not rusty, nice cavities, just some patina, same for the handles. But to my disappointment the mold is roll stamped clearly enough, Murphy, Oregon and quite obviously it is not stamped San Diego. It is an earlier Oregon mold as the mold numbers are hand stamped. I didn't know this at the time of purchase, not till I got it but since I have been wanting to add an actual H&G mold to my meager collection and I really have been wanting a #50 to feed my Revo fever with, I bought it. I don't know if I overpaid with consideration to what was advertised and what I got. It was important to me that I was getting an early mold and It pisses me off that I didn't get what was advertised. I had sent the seller a message the day I got it inquiring why there was a mismatch and have got no response. The seller was pretty quick to respond when I sent the offer in and also a reply to my thank you for accepting message. But not a peep since I got it. He just got another that was a little more to the point. I hate to have to possibly send it back or make a claim and loose it as it is a very nice mold but I don't like being taken advantage of either.

If the $200 for it was well worth it anyways, maybe i'll drop it and carry on but I don't really know if that's fair price or what. Maybe I just need some cheese with my whine... Still aggravating....

What do you guys think?
    Chris from what you have told us that mold is worth every penny,they are getting kinda getting rare these days, your lucky to get a good one and btw the offer reply can be set,when listed so one gets a reply message instantly.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Chris from what you have told us that mold is worth every penny,they are getting kinda getting rare these days, your lucky to get a good one and btw the offer reply can be set,when listed so one gets a reply message instantly.
    Yeah, that is on my mind, there is a finite number of H&G molds around, they aren't self healing either so getting a good one is.... well, good! I try to drop a couple ingots in the pot here ASAP and see how the product comes out. If it drops nice consistent boolits across all cavities, i'm inclined to keep it.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Banned

a good mold is defined by how it casts and how the boolits shoot.
    I could care less if it's made out of whalebone and rubber boots or says elmer was here on the side.
    I want the product it is supposed to deliver.

Boolit Grand Master

Report it to Ebay , if you paid through Pay-Pal your money will be refunded. Another words , Ebay will repay you and they will take it up with the seller. Ebay takes care of the buyer...they do not want people to have reasons not to buy off their site.
    Hope you and seller can reach agreement, does that $50.00 discount sound fair ?
    Gary

Boolit Master
    the #50 is the least valuable H&G mould because it is the most common, in every size. I agree you paid to much for the mould, but the box may be very valuable and make up for the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast