RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Input on compact scopes

Boolit Buddy

Input on compact scopes

I'm looking to pick up a scope for my 357 max contender carbine. It needs to be light and compact 10 inch length MAX. (Prefer smaller if possible) I'm looking in the sub $200 range. I don't want one of this tactical looking scopes just a plane jane rifle scope. Fixed power or variable. Most of my shots will be under 50 yards but the opportunity to shoot up to 200 yards may arise. Ted dots are out of the question I had one on it and I did not care for it.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Master

I don't know about sub-200, but I have a couple of Burris fixed power scopes that have served well for years on hard recoilers.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I think you would be pleased with this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/271...-reticle-matte
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I think you would be pleased with this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/271...-reticle-matte
    Looks a bit too long for me. Barrel is only 16.2 inches so I'm trying to stay as short as possible

--ISO ITEMS--

updated as of April 2023

Boolit Master

I have a 1-4 30mm from nc star that I love. I would spend more for my next one, but this is perfect for my current application. Can't find a pic, but Bushnell and weaver both have one for European style big game rifles
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

I have a coule of the weavers with no objective bell Short light low magnification one is 2X and the othere is 4 I believe fairly short and easy to use. The one at sometime had a half min dot installed and its on a 22 I used for squirell hunting. Dot stands out great put it in the head and squierell falls out of tree. Depending on game to be hunted crosshairs can be to fine and get lost in brush or on game. The post crosshair and bigger dots along with some duplex stand out and dont get lost in the back ground. I believe both these scopes are around 8 Inches long. Another way to go is a forward mounted pistol scope the longer eye relief would allow back of barrel to be open for loading also. Set up correctly probably about 2" of back of barrel would be out in the open. Just something to consider

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of the weavers with no objective bell Short light low magnification one is 2X and the other is 4 I believe fairly short and easy to use. The one at sometime had a half min dot installed and its on a 22 I used for squirell hunting. Dot stands out great put it in the head and it simply falls out of tree. Depending on game to be hunted crosshairs can be to fine and get lost in brush or on game. The post crosshair and bigger dots along with some duplex stand out and dont get lost in the back ground. I believe both these scopes are around 8 Inches long. Another way to go is a forward mounted pistol scope the longer eye relief would allow back of barrel to be open for loading also. Set up correctly probably about 2" of back of barrel would be out in the open. Just something to consider

Boolit Buddy

I'm actually considering the v3 1x30 20mm duel x. It's on sale right now for 180

--ISO ITEMS--

updated as of April 2023

Boolit Master
    Look for the older Burris "mini" series. My views on scopes allign well with yours and I have several of these. A 4x on a #1 45-70, coupla 6x on squirel rifles and also on a Kimber 84 in 308. These scopes hold up on spring and gas ram air rifles as well. Not as bright as larger scopes but better than average. I buy these whenever I come across them, generally under 200$. Last one I found was a 4x for 125$. They are the right size for you and a very good scope.
    Leopold "compact" might work also but are costing me 200$ at best and that was several years ago. Most of the new scopes have so much mil dots and junk in the view to be distracting, kinda "fat" too.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have the newer v3 weaver and I like it alot. Worth the money.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    Whatever you get, make sure it has long eye relief. Nothing like ring around the eye.

Boolit Master
    I have a leupold 1-4 vxii that works well on my 77/357, its ok out to 100, the target better be pretty big at 200 with this scope.

Boolit Master

I have a leupold 2.5x m8 on my marlin .44 mag 1894 with a 16.25" barrel and it works great and looks right.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Vendor Sponsor

I REALLY took a liking to the Leapers UTG etched glass reticle compact with side adjust, you can very quickly dial in parallax to your shooting range, these things are great! They are used on a lot of airguns but airgun scopes have to be much tougher than centerfire scopes so this one would work great I bet..

Mine is exactly 11" long with the dust cover closed over the front. $149.99, Lifetime Warranty and it qualifies for free shipping.

Comes with medium height Weaver rings as pictured. Mounts on a Picatinny rail but if you don't have one they are inexpensive base plates made that are easy to adapt.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_UTG_3_12x44_AO_Rifle_Scope_EZ_TAP_Ill_Mil_ Dot_Reticle_1_4_MOA_30mm_Tube_Weaver_Rings/4319

Last edited by DougGuy; 04-29-2016 at 11:29 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

@OP, you are thinking right on the Weaver 1-3x variable. Just the right size, price, eye relief, and magnification range. I use one on my Marlin 30-30 with complete satisfaction. I have had it for probably 3 decades, well any way so long I can't remember about when I got it, so obviously it has held up. I really like that the 1x setting is a true 1x.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.