Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Added this to my walnut media.

Added this to my walnut media.

Was cleaning some 30-06 brass in my tumbler. Added approx.: 10 squirts from a bottle of 409 cleaner to the walnut media. Brass tumbled for approx.: 2 hrs. Came out clean and shiny.

Boolit Master

id guess that the 409 is loaded with ammonia, not the best thig to use with brass.

Boolit Buddy
    I add some car wax sometimes, liquid of course

Boolit Grand Master

I add 4 ozs rubbing alclhol and a cap full of Iosso brass polish to each batch at the start. Let vibrator run for 5 mins or so to mix in and add brass. This is in my big dillon vibratory unit. Cleans good and the alchlol seems to help with cleaning and holding down dust. I use corn cobs untreated. Nufinsh car polish in the ornge bottle works well also. I tried dried rice a couple times years ago was fast and did a good job but getting it out of flash holes was a pain. In food plants rice is used for blast cleaning when needed instead of sand or other materials, this is where the idea came from originally.

Boolit Buddy
    I add a capful of Mineral Spirits (paint thinner), does not damage the brass and it helps clean it faster, add then let run for a few minutes before adding brass, works great.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    I add mineral spirits also. Works good for me.

Banned

I was adding NU-finish.
    now I add McGuires ultra gold.
    it's a polymer too and I can use it either wet or dry.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know what 409 has in it. Like the others I use a cap full of car polish and a splash of mineral spirits. The last couple of bottles were NuFinish but I've used others. I run it for a few minutes to get it mixed up then add my brass. The car polish leaves a protective film that helps the clean brass from tarnishing.
    Last edited by lightman; 05-01-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use a cap fun of car polish and a splash of mineral spirits. --I use this too and the wax I use is NuFinish but you can use just about any liquid auto wax.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    409 is an ammoniated cleaner and you do NOT want to use ammonia in brass case cleaning. Same with Brasso. Usage over time will cause stress cracking in your brass due to leaching by the NH3.

If you want to add something for dry tumbling, use BonAmi, a very mild natural abrasive that is NOT ammoniated and will not cause problems. Just rise in water after to remove any dust in casings. One tablespoon does it! Do NOT use Comet or any other type of abrasive kitchen cleaner!

Mineral spirits does absolutely nothing itself to polish brass. It will slightly dissolve any grease on there. And tends to act as a vehicle to lubricate the walnut media to carry away any corrosion the walnut shells skuff off.

I am another that uses NuFinish but I add a little by applying to an old dryer softener sheet which keeps it from clumping the media. Brass is slick and stays shiny a long time with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Best thing I found is any kind of fruit rind.
    I have a tangerine tree, so I use tangerine rind.
    Orange, grapefruit, lemon, all work well.
    The acid cleans well, and it collects lots of the dust.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Best thing I found is any kind of fruit rind.
    I have a tangerine tree, so I use tangerine rind.
    Orange, grapefruit, lemon, all work well.
    The acid cleans well, and it collects lots of the dust.
    Citric acid is an EXCELLENT natural liquid cleaner for brass. It makes my brass shine like new. I get mine from the baking/cooking isle at Walmart. I have 10 citrus trees around my back proterty loaded every year with tons of fruit and still buy the stuff as it is so easy and clean to add a teaspoon to a quart of hot water and get shiny brass real fast! HOT water makes it work much faster. And I add it to my home-brew citrus liqueurs (orangecello, limoncello, tangerinecello) to give them a tangy edge when needed. Vitaman C does the same thing and is basically citric acid in pill form.

Boolit Grand Master

Google is your friend as SDS are required for these type of products: https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/dow...-sg-sds-en.pdf

I use NuFinish and mineral spirits. The mineral spirits is to keep the dust down.

I'd be a bit wary of using mineral spirits/paint thinners in vibratory cleaners, due to the container usually being made of plastic.

Banned

show me the proof!!!!!!!!! taking one asprin is good for you. Take the whole bottle and you can die. Does that mean doctors should tell you not to use it because your to stupid to use it right
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    409 is an ammoniated cleaner and you do NOT want to use ammonia in brass case cleaning. Same with Brasso. Usage over time will cause stress cracking in your brass due to leaching by the NH3.

If you want to add something for dry tumbling, use BonAmi, a very mild natural abrasive that is NOT ammoniated and will not cause problems. Just rise in water after to remove any dust in casings. One tablespoon does it! Do NOT use Comet or any other type of abrasive kitchen cleaner!

Mineral spirits does absolutely nothing itself to polish brass. It will slightly dissolve any grease on there. And tends to act as a vehicle to lubricate the walnut media to carry away any corrosion the walnut shells skuff off.

Boolit Master
    I have used a bit of mineral spirits in a Lyman vibe for a long time. with walnut shells. Haven't had a problem yet and it keeps the dust down. Like the other fellow said, maybe a capful.

Boolit Mold
    Anything with ammonia being added to tumbling media is bad news.

Frosted Boolits

Sounds like someone should run a test. Maybe let some brass sit in ammonia and then put them under a microscope? LOL?
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    Sounds like someone should run a test. Maybe let some brass sit in ammonia and then put them under a microscope? LOL?
    No need to: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Season_cracking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast