WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Nef 45-70

Nef 45-70

I've offered a H&R New England break top in 45-70 for $250. It's a relatively new carbine with open sites.

Anyone have experience with with this caliber in the NEF and cast?

Over the years, I've owned a couple NEFs, but haven't had good luck. I had a .17hmr that shot well but had ejection problems. A .22 LR, that wouldn't group at 25 yards. And a 30-30 that just wouldn't group consistently with cast Boolits--and I tried.

Boolit Buddy
    For $250.00 I would grab that H&R 45/70. I have one in 45/70 with a Redfield Scope on
    it. Using trapdoor loads of 27 grs 4198 with rice krispies filler and a Lee as cast 420 gr
    bullet, lubed with tallow beeswax mix. Keeps a nice 2 in group at 100 yds, from a bench
    rest. They are getting harder to find now that they quit making them.
    webfoot10

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd second what webfoot10 said. I have one and would grab another if that deal came along. 40 grs of 3031 and a 415 boolit or 30 grs 4198 and a filler with that same boolit. A sure meat maker.

In Remembrance

$250 for the Handi-rifle in .45-70 is a good deal, grab it fast or someone else will. My .45-70 Handi needed .461 diameter boolits to shoot accurately as anything smaller leaded like crazy. Recoil with loads stouter than "trapdoor level" takes some of the fun out of shooting after several shots. The Handi-rifle is a light weight gun for this size cartridge. I made a lead weight to put in the butt-screw cavity that gave it some needed weight to counter recoil. These are great guns for the price and as someone pointed out "they're not making them any more."

Thanks. I'll see if it's still available. I'd be shooting trapdoor loads, btw. What is the most accurate boolit weight range in the NEF?

Boolit Master
    Mine has shot everything between 300 and 500grs well, but the catch seems to be that they better be sized .460". My standard load for mine is a Lyman 457122HP sized .460" and pushed by 15.0grs Unique. Nice gently recoiling load that is accurate and flattens hogs and deer.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Thanks. I'll see if it's still available. I'd be shooting trapdoor loads, btw. What is the most accurate boolit weight range in the NEF?

Boolit Master
    I'd just match your bullet to what you want to do with it. Neither mu old Buffalo Classic or my current Handi-rifle (both .45-70s) showed a preference for any bullet weight where accuracy was concerned inside 200 yards. Both did better at longer ranges with heavier bullets in the 400-450gr range than my current 335gr, but I think that was the higher BC starting to make a difference. My main use is deer and hogs with most taken in thick brush and 100yards being a long shot, so I use the 335gr HP in my NEF. My Marlin 1895 gets fed the RCBS 45-405-FN, but gets pushed a bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    I'd just match your bullet to what you want to do with it. My main use is deer and hogs with most taken in thick brush.
    I'll be killing tin cans in open desert out to about 150 yards.

Boolit Master
    If that is all, I would be tempted to give the Lee 340gr a try then. Cheap price, cheap on lead, and easy to cast with. I used to have a Lee 450gr that was great, but that was a bit over an ounce of lead per shot.

Boolit Master
    If you can find one try the Ranch Dog 350 gr. originally designed for a Marlin. Shoots great in my H&R and old TD Springfield.

Boolit Buddy

They are usually on the generous bore size, mine likes .460 cast. Another thing about them is the throats are short. A very affordable 45-70 is how i'd describe a NEF/H&R.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    If that is all, I would be tempted to give the Lee 340gr a try then. Cheap price, cheap on lead, and easy to cast with. I used to have a Lee 450gr that was great, but that was a bit over an ounce of lead per shot.
    This bullet shoots quite well in mine with about 31 grains of 5744. I have a Williams peep sight on mine, so not real fine shooting, but it'll hold 3-4 inch groups all day long and doesn't kick the daylights out of me.