RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Push Through Sizer Question

Push Through Sizer Question

I may be overthinking this but has anyone come up with a simple solution for either the NOE or LEE push through sizers that works well for Spire point and other pointed boolits that you do not want the nose deformed on by pushing the previous boolit the rest of the way thorough.

I do not have a lathe to make a longer push rod.

Greg

Boolit Buddy
    make a dummy out of hardwood dowel from your local hardware store....

Boolit Grand Master

You might be able to solder a steel rod onto the end of your existing push rod. Use a vee block or peice of angle iron to aligh the rod with the push rod, you might need a little shim under one or the other. When soldered and cooled simply file extension to match the push rods dia. You might even be able to epoxy the extension in place since all force is going to hold it together.

Tedly, Dang, that was simple. This is why I love this site.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master
    For a total fit drill a hole in the wooden dowel and fill with epoxy, set the dowel down on the cast bullet that has been coated with a releasing agent, let the epoxy squash out and then wipe off with a paper towel. When hard the epoxy will be an excact copy of the bullet point but a female copy.
    I make them out of steel to filt my Harbor Freigt 1/2 ton press used to seatgas checks on pointed cast bullets.

Vendor Sponsor

You could mount a Lee single stage press upside down so the boolits would simply drop free and catch them in your hand.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold

I flared a case from a 9 mm and epoxied it to the push rod on my .40. The point drops into the flare but the 9 is mall enough that it doesn't hit the die, unless it shove it too deep. Not the best fix but worked as a quick fix last night about 11:30 when I just had a few to clean up.

Thank you for all the ideas.

Greg

Boolit Master
    Yup, turn your press upside down!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Something else to consider:

You will also have to worry about your seating die messing with the nose! The standard nose inserts will smash your pretty pointy nose boolits....big time!

I make new Lee seating die nose profile inserts on my lathe out of brass bar, but as said, you can do the same thing with a piece of hardwood dowel, a hand drill and a few step-sized drills and a rat-tail file. Probably will split after a while, but easy enough to make another one.

banger

Boolit Man
    I use a piece of dowel rod. Really very little pressure with the NOE sizer on the next bullet but I push the dowel through anyway.
    Learning by breaking something every day!
    Remington 700ML

Boolit Master
    Is the problem because the base of the previous projectile has not exited the squeezing part of the die? or the fact the nose of the projectile will touch the next projectile that has already been pushed through?

I find my 9mm ones are fully pushed through the squeezing part of the die every stroke, so the next one just pushes the one before it out of the way with minimal effort, but the noses are not super delicate.

Can you even seat the die a little further down to allow it to be fully sized? the punches you get with the dies should be long enough to do this.

Boolit Master

Are all the presses mounted upside down in Australia? Forgive me I could not resist, I am trying to cut down on the caffeine and feeling a little silly. But seriously, the regular pusher should do the job if the die is screwed in properly, Tazza makes an excellent point.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Frkelly74, what you mean upside down? isn't that how all presses are meant to be? :P

Boolit Grand Master
    And the toilet water swirls in the opposite direction!

HA.......ha

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    And the toilet water swirls in the opposite direction!

HA.......ha
    We learn something new every day
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Well, at least ours swirls in the correct direction, it's yours that is opposite/WRONG

Boolit Grand Master
    Just like the Brits drive on the "wrong" side of the road! I finally learned that driving technique after taking out SEVERAL hedge rows in Wales on our trip. I personally enjoy driving down the MIDDLE of the road - that way I am only ½ wrong! HA.....ha!

Boolit Master
    hehe i like that way of thinking, so when the cops pull you over, you get half the ticket, hopefully the part without the fine